8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 8:29 AM by hdog87

Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag

hdog87

I am running into a problem when playing back my edited footage, the playback freezes and is very choppy, Even when picking different spots in the timeline, the image takes very long to update or doesn't at all. (Rendering the timeline doesn't seem to help)

I am editing a video project where I am editing between three different HD camera sources. I didn't have this choppy laggy playback issue at first but as my project continues the problem worsens. And at 8 minutes of edited footage, playback is hardly functional. (my whole project will probably be an hour)

The three video sources are roughly 17 GB each. Could it be that the video files are too large and Premiere  is having a hard time playing them back?

My computer specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Home

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i74790k CPU @4.00GHz 4.00GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 24 GB

64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. And please let me know if you need any additional information.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I guess it depends on which format and resolution each of these three camcorder sources are. And which you used as the first clip on your timeline, since that determines your project settings.

What are each of the camcorder models that your video is coming from? What are your Project Settings, which you'll find under the Edit menu.)

You've got plenty of power, of course -- but using 90-minute videos as your sources could tax  your system, especially if your timeline isn't rendered.

What happens if you render the timeline (by pressing Enter so that any yellow-orange lines along the top of the timeline turn green)? Does that smooth your playback?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag
            hdog87 Level 1

Thank you for the reply,

The video clips are .mov files and the resolution is 1920 x 1080.

I'm not sure of the camcorder model as I didn't actually record the footage, I was only sent the .mov files.

My project settings seem normal (I haven't changed or adjusted anything) The editing mode is HD 1080i at 29.97 fps

and the display format is  30 fps frame-drop timecode

I've tried rendering the timeline, but it doesn't seem to help the issue.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag

When you add a clip to the beginning of your timeline, is there a yellow-orange "render line" over the clip? If so, this is an indication that you have not matched your project settings to your video specs.

BTW, didn't you say you were mixing video from THREE DIFFERENT camcorders?

RenderLine.jpg

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag
                hdog87 Level 1

I do have the yellow red "render line"  but when I render it, it turns green. And when I edit or change footage, it becomes  red orange again above what I changed, the rest remains green.

Sorry about the confusion, I didn't explain it properly. The footage was shot with three different camcorders but I am just working with the .mov files in Premiere Elements 14. So there is three different .mov files in my timeline.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag

If you're seeing the "render line" above the first clip you add to your timeline, then your program is not properly setting up your project to match your video specs -- which is what's leading to your lag. That happens sometimes with Quicktime files.

You'll need to find out your video specs and manually set up your project to match them. Which means you'll need to start a new project.

You say your project is set up for 1920x1080 at 30i. Apparently your video uses a different frame. Possibly 30p.

Download the excellent, free MediaInfo and open your MOVs in it. (You'll need to know the specs for all three video sources that you'll be using.) MediaInfo will show you the codec, the frame rate and resolution for your videos.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag
                    hdog87 Level 1

Thank you Steve for all your help, I think I solved the problem. My program settings were not properly matched with my video specs. I just want to be sure but I shouldn't have any colored render line on my timeline if everything is set up correctly, right?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the mov's are dslr footage you should not have any colored bar over the footage when dropped in a dslr setting.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 14 Playback Lag
                        hdog87 Level 1

Wonderful, Thanks for all the help guys!