13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 4:03 AM by dj_paige

New Laptop - GPU neccessary?

RobertSmits Level 1

Hi All,

I had a MacBook Air, 13" (fastest one I could buy 2.5 years ago), but was recently pronounced dead as I accidentally spilt some cola on it (VERY stupid).

Anyway, I am looking to buy a new laptop and was wondering about the GPU.  I am now looking at powerful laptops and mobile workstations with dedicated GPU's, but as I had some LR problems with my PC recently (white balance - changed in Develop module, not carried out in library module)),

I was told to switch off GPU acceleration.  My PC is an  Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @3.40GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD HDD and an Nvidia GeForce GTX770 graphics card (2GB, GDDR5).

When I had my PC assembled, I bought the best graphics card I could afford at the time, as well as CPU, RAM, which I was looking to do now too.

Although my new laptop (will be a PC, as I'm not a huge fan of Mac), is shaping up to be very fast too, I was wondering if I really need to spend so much money for a dedicated GPU card, if I need to switch it off anyway?

I read the following here on the forum :

GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

And I do understand I need to look toward the future (reason for getting a fast machine now)...

I was looking at a Dell XPS15 (I7-6700HQ Quad Core, 6MB Cache - 3.5GHz) with a 15.6 inch 4K Ultra HD screen (with touch), 16GB RAM and Geforce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 GPU).

The other one is a Dell Precision 5000 - 15 inch, (i7-6820 HQ, Quad Core, 2.7 GHZ, 8MB Cache with Intel 530 Graphic card, 16GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro M1000M with 2GB GDDR5).

The laptop will mainly be used on location shoots and on holidays when editing pictures on the go in Lightroom, as well as Photoshop.  I will still wait to process them completely on my home PC (with calibrated EIZO screen).  But as I always have a lot to travel with, I want the machine to be as light as possible.  So that is why I was looking at the XPS13, but that one does not have a dedicated GPU...

That is the real question..  Do I really need to use the GPU acceleration in LR, then I will buy a 15 inch, but if not, I can go for the much cheaper (and a LOT lighter, XPS13).

I am looking toward the future and want to buy a machine that will last me for at least the next 4/5 years, but I don't want to break the bank if I don't have to..

Any advice is very welcome!

• 1. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
          dj_paige Level 9

If your laptop has a HD screen (1920x1080) or thereabouts, you can use a GPU that is built into the motherboard, or similar low end GPU.

The only time you would need a high end GPU is if you are getting a 4K or larger screen.

This statement is for Lightroom statement only. If you have other software, you may have different needs.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
            Abambo Adobe Community Professional

GPU acceleration is needed for HR displays of 4k. Anything lower will not make up for the additional overhead.

• 3. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
              RobertSmits Level 1

Thanks for the quick answers, I appreciate it!

So, if I would opt for the XPS13" with 13,3 inch QHD+ (3.200 x 1.800) InfinityEdge touch screen, I don't need a dedicated graphics card?

I see there is an Intel Iris Graphics card included, but if I understand correctly, that is an integrated GPU on the CPU, so not a dedicated one?

(I would opt for the i7-6560U (4MB cache, until 3.2 GHZ) and 16GB LPDDR3 1.866MHz on-board).

Would that be fast enough to comfartably use LR and PS?  Or would that be to slow given the chosen display above?

• 4. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                dj_paige Level 9

RobertSmits wrote:

Thanks for the quick answers, I appreciate it!

So, if I would opt for the XPS13" with 13,3 inch QHD+ (3.200 x 1.800) InfinityEdge touch screen, I don't need a dedicated graphics card?

I see there is an Intel Iris Graphics card included, but if I understand correctly, that is an integrated GPU on the CPU, so not a dedicated one?

(I would opt for the i7-6560U (4MB cache, until 3.2 GHZ) and 16GB LPDDR3 1.866MHz on-board.

Your screen seems to be much larger than a full HD screen, but not quite a 4K screen. There may be a benefit to you from a GPU that is supported by Lightroom. Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

• 5. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                  RobertSmits Level 1

Thanks dj_paige!

I was hoping to be able to go for the XPS13 (only 1.29 kgs), but if I understand correctly, I don't really have an option other than going for the 15 inch with the dedicated GPU? (weighing in at around 2kgs).

Or is this difference not really measurable in usage?

Any idea if there is a big difference between Geforce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 GPU and Nvidia Quadro M1000M with 2GB GDDR5?  I can't really find good data on their performance with LR/PS.

• 6. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I was hoping to be able to go for the XPS13 (only 1.29 kgs), but if I understand correctly, I don't really have an option other than going for the 15 inch with the dedicated GPU? (weighing in at around 2kgs).

Or is this difference not really measurable in usage?

It sounds like you are asking a question about the weight of the computers. I can't help you there

Any idea if there is a big difference between Geforce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 GPU and Nvidia Quadro M1000M with 2GB GDDR5?  I can't really find good data on their performance with LR/PS.

You won't find performance data for Lightroom. You will find relative speed benchmarks of different GPUs.

• 7. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                      RobertSmits Level 1

Well, It's meant more as if the trade-off would be worth it?  Would the notebook still be fast enough for the mentioned display, without the dedicated GPU? Or I don't really have a choice and have to spring for the heavier and more expensive 15" which does have a dedicated GPU, to make LR and PS "fly"?

The reason I am asking is, that I don't really want to have an issue with LR in the future and that the only sugestion received which helps, would be to turn off the GPU acceleration...  The exact and only reason for buying such a machine in the first place...

• 8. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                        dj_paige Level 9

RobertSmits wrote:

Well, It's meant more as if the trade-off would be worth it? Would the notebook still be fast enough for the mentioned display, without the dedicated GPU? Or I don't really have a choice and have to spring for the heavier and more expensive 15" which does have a dedicated GPU, to make LR and PS "fly"?

There's no way to answer this without actually having the hardware available.

• 9. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                          RobertSmits Level 1

Is there anyone who happens to have an XPS13 and can say anything about it's performance in LR/PS ?

• 10. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                            RobertSmits Level 1

I found a good review on CPU/GPU usage on this link (namely point 3 and 4) :

Choosing the Right Windows PC for Photo Editing

Hopefully this can help others too..

Maybe this can be of help too :

Adobe Photoshop CC - GPU Accelerated Tools | NVIDIA

And this for LR (altough the PS version gives more specifics) :

Adobe Lightroom CC - GPU Accelerated Tools | NVIDIA 

• 11. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                              dj_paige Level 9

Well, RobertSmits, I'm going to have to disagree with the author of that article who says in point 3:

put the CPU down this far on the list because I am firmly convinced that you should spend your money on an SSD and RAM

I put the CPU first. Most of the speed in Lightroom (or lack of speed) comes from the CPU ... importing, exporting, editing, and rendering the photo for the first time in develop all depend on CPU speed, and virtually not at all on disk speed or memory. Get the fastest CPU you can afford. If you have 8GB of memory and a 64bit operating system, I think you will be fine, you should not run into any problems.

The place where the disk speed comes into play is scrolling in the Library Module, and showing the previews in the Library Module.

My other gripe about this article — and really this applies to a lot of articles on the internet, it is not specific to this author — is that the article is undated; and given the way hardware and software change in a year or over several years, this is a crucial piece of information.

• 12. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                                RobertSmits Level 1

I do understand what you mean, but I think in this case, reading the whole article, is pretty clear this was written halfway through Oct 2015, as he makes some mention of computers being launched in Oct 2015, and the first comments below the article, are made on Oct 19th (2015).

At least the author lists some clear information as to which specs are ideal for editing LR photo's.

It would be good if more articles like this arise, so it is more clear for users to determine what system to get...

• 13. Re: New Laptop - GPU neccessary?
                                  dj_paige Level 9

At least the author lists some clear information as to which specs are ideal for editing LR photo's.

Clear, but wrong