19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 9:38 AM by Ztalin

Leica SL HDR merge issues

Ztalin

Hiya,

when I try to merge Leica SL .dng files, I get the message "Unable to merge the photos. Please cancel and review your selection."

The photos are taken with the HDR bracketing setting on the camera. I've done this a lot - without any problems - with my Fujifilm XT-1 and Leica Q.

The computer I am using is a MacBook Air.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

Sincerely, Ola Saltin.

• 1. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Ola,

Please note that a merge should have all selected images of same focal length.

Have you checked that ?

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
            Ztalin Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Akash.

Yes, they are all of the same focal length, as they are taken as "burst shots", hand held. Strange enough when I selected three images instead of four images, LR complied. When I tried the same with another "four burst-shot", selecting three, same error message. So strange.

cheers,

o.

Ola Saltin

[Edited by Moderator]

• 3. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
              Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Could you try creating a new catalog with 2 sets of 5 images from two different Cameras(of same Focal length) and try the merge?

~Akash

• 4. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ztalin wrote:

when I try to merge Leica SL .dng files, I get the message "Unable to merge the photos. Please cancel and review your selection."

The photos are taken with the HDR bracketing setting on the camera. I've done this a lot - without any problems - with my Fujifilm XT-1 and Leica Q.

What lens are you using? See this post with a possible cause of the issue due to lack of electronic coupling when using manual lenses. This aperture value must be calculated and may be incorrect for one or more of the bracketed DNG files. Check the values in the Histogram display for each image file.

HDR

• 5. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                  Ztalin Level 1

I'll try that!

• 6. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                    Ztalin Level 1

I'm using the Leica SL 24-90 lens, same focal length of course, as it takes bursts of five shots in under a second...

• 7. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues

The Leica SL 24-90 lens has an electronically controlled aperture, which indicates you may have a different issue. Were the images shot handheld? Does the subject have large areas with little definition? If so it may be having trouble aligning the images. Please post a screenshot of one of the bracket sets and the aperture and shutter speed for each of the image files.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                        Ztalin Level 1

Thanks for all the help, will do, as soon as I get the time

I'm just suprised as I've taken hundreds of bracketed HDR photos with my Fujifilm XT-1 and never had one problem with aligning them or anything else. Will get back to you asap!

• 9. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                          Ztalin Level 1

I'm sorry, I've had this MacBook Air for five years soon, and still have no clue how the filesystem works. As a life-long PC-user the Apple filesystem is a complete enigma to me, however hard I try to understand it.  Just took a screenshot of the LR page, but cannot find "pictures" when I go to the MacBook harddrive. Sorry for being such a putz.

Working on it.

cheers, o.

• 10. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                            Ztalin Level 1

Yes, the shots are handheld, but so are all my shots with my Q and my XT-1, and LR handles that perfectly.

So I'm really at a loss here. But will get back to you as soon as I figure out how the h--l to find the screengrab and send to you

o.

• 11. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                              Ztalin Level 1

Here we go! No clue if this is of any help to you. the four highlighted images (handheld) in brackated mode, are typical files that LR refuses to handle. Perhaps I should update LR? (Subscribing to LR CC).

o.

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 18.05.11.png

• 12. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you upload the lightest and darkest shots to www.dropbox.com, after making an account if necessary, then post a public share link to them here in a message, so others can take a look?

• 13. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                  Ztalin Level 1

I do apologise, but that sounds like a lot of work for something I would expect both the Leica and LR would handle without a hitch.

I'm more curious if other users have had this issue? (Wondering if the computing power of my MacBook Air is insufficient, perhaps?)

cheers, o.

• 14. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You want an explanation, perhaps a solution if there is one.  We don’t have your camera/lens combo to test with, ourselves.  So photos were asked for.

These are user forums.  We're not Adobe, just users like yourself.  You're welcome to try calling or chatting with Adobe but I doubt that will end satisfactorily.

Besides severe misalignment that these don't seem to have, the initial thought was that the aperture wasn’t recorded so the HDR function couldn’t determine the absolute EV value for each photo to know how to combine the pixel data into the HDR pixels, but the lens that we understand that you have should be one that does allow the aperture to be recorded, so maybe there is another reason EV cannot be computed for each pixel of each photo.

I suppose if uploading photos is too difficult, you could post screenshots of each photo’s EXIF info, and maybe that would be enough to explain what is happening.

• 15. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues

Ztalin wrote:

I'm more curious if other users have had this issue?

Yes, due to: different focal lengths, different aperture settings, improperly recorded aperture (manual lenses), focus issues, camera or subject movement, insufficient memory, insufficient HDD space, and numerous other reasons. I personally have not experienced your issue with any of my HDR bracket sets.

Please provide the ISO, focal length, aperture, and shutter speed for each of the image files in a bracket set that has the issue. This may reveal something. If not I suggest uploading a complete set bracketed image files to Dropbox as the next step.

• 16. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                        Ztalin Level 1

Okay, I will as soon as I find the time.

Thank you for your time and patience.

kindly, ola

• 17. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                          Ztalin Level 1

(sorry to say, but  to pay this huge amount for a camera that is - supposedly the top of the line - and this basic function BASIC!! does not work,   pisses me off to no end)

• 18. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                            Bob Somrak Level 5

It apparently works for others so if you provided some files on Dropbox as "ssprengel" suggested someone may be able to figure out why it is not working for you.

• 19. Re: Leica SL HDR merge issues
                                              Ztalin Level 1

Hiya guys,

if anyone's interested I've come to the conclusion that I can merge in LR if I manually do the bracketing, but not if I leave it up to the camera (automatic burst-shots). Again, of course same lens and not handheld, etc. So it might be an issue I have to ask Leica about....?

cheers, o.