7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 8:11 AM by RobertHFC

Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE

RobertHFC

Hey folks.  Running After Effects CC (2015.3), Windows 10 pro (64 bit) with AMD FirePro W7100 Graphics Card on a Dell Precision Tower 7910 and Dell U2713H dual monitors.  When I start up After Effects it informs me that "Ray-tracing on the GPU requires an approved NVIDIA graphics card and CUDA 5.0 or later.  The may require installing the current display driver.  For now, ray-tracing will use the CPU."   We assumed that we have ample processing with Intel (R) Xeon(R) CPU running with 64 GB of RAM.    However, after starting after effects, and trying to start a new composition, the monitors go completely black into powersave mode and the computer has to have a hard shutdown to restart (not good... I know).   Both Windows and Graphics card are current with updates.   I did an initial scan of previous forum entries and didn't find anything addressing the specifics of what I am experiencing.   Oh, and Premiere and Photoshop work fine.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The error message that pops up is only in reference to one (considered by many to be obsolete) feature: the ray-traced renderer. It will always pop up on any computer without a certain class of NVIDIA GPUs. On all of my machines that throw that message, I tick the box to never see it again. (I've never used the ray-traced renderer in a production job. And there aren't many who have - we have so much better options for creating 3d geometry now...)

Did someone misread that message and try to install CUDA on that system? That could cause issues like the one you're describing.

You're saying that you can boot and you get the AE welcome screen, but only when trying to create a composition you get the crash?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE
            RobertHFC Level 1

Szalam, thanks for the prompt reply.  I just figured out a work around by pushing the "new comp" icon in the project tray and then set the advanced tab to Classic 3D prior to ever importing any media.  I guess what is curious is that I am running another machine with an NVIDIA card (Windows 7) and there is no problem using Ray Trace option.  In terms of  "better options for creating 3d geometry now...", I work for a non-profit agency so funds are a bit limited in terms of buying plugins but would love to hear more about these options and what you have found to be the most effective (ie... extruding and bending geometry) while not being exorbitantly expensive.

• 3. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE

RobertHFC wrote:

I just figured out a work around by pushing the "new comp" icon in the project tray and then set the advanced tab to Classic 3D prior to ever importing any media. I guess what is curious is that I am running another machine with an NVIDIA card (Windows 7) and there is no problem using Ray Trace option.

Right, the ray-traced renderer is fine on NVIDIA cards, but is absolutely awful on anything else. That's because the ray-traced renderer is built on the Optix library and CUDA which are NVIDIA-technology. The fact that it runs on the CPU at all (which it does on computers with Intel graphics chips or AMD GPU's) is actually pretty impressive. The problem is that it suuuuuucks on the CPU. This is part of the reason the AE team isn't even developing the ray-traced renderer at all and consider it dead. (See here.)

Anyway, all that to say, I would expect a computer with an NVIDIA GPU to do much better with the ray-traced renderer. That's exactly what would happen.

RobertHFC wrote:

I work for a non-profit agency so funds are a bit limited in terms of buying plugins but would love to hear more about these options and what you have found to be the most effective (ie... extruding and bending geometry) while not being exorbitantly expensive.

You. Are. About. To. Poop. Yourself.

After Effects comes with Cinema 4D Lite for FREE!!!

Behold the power! Joking aside, that link is the best training for C4D Lite that I know. There is a bit of a learning curve - because it's a slightly curtailed version of a full-fledged 3d app, but you can do some neat stuff with it because IT'S A REAL 3D APP.

And the new version of After Effects that just came out (the one you're using - CC 2015.3) adds even more functionality and gives you even more neat stuff to do with it (short version of that link: you can use AE's text animators with Cinema 4D).

I mean, if you want fast-rendering neatness, you can get Element from Video Copilot. It's very cheap considering its power, but C4D Lite is free.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE
                RobertHFC Level 1

Beautiful.  Preciate the info.  I will share this with our IT person who has fretted over this stuff with me and consider it solved.  

• 5. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE

No problem.

Don't forget to mark the relevant posts correct and/or helpful so future forum viewers can find the relevant info quickly.

• 6. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

thank you Szalam for the useful information.

• 7. Re: Computer goes into power save mode when starting new composition in AE
                      RobertHFC Level 1

Will do... am a first timer on the forum so again, I appreciate the guidance.