Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increasing the length of a variable to >50 characters

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm developing some training where I'd like users to enter some comments, maybe give them up to 100 characters, and then allow them to review there comments against a sample. I would like to use a text entry box to capture the user's text, store it in a variable, and then display it on the next page. The trouble is that when the variable displays in a text box on the next page, the text is truncated.

I am aware of the menu for variables where you can specify a length, but whenever I do this, the value I select is not implemented.

Any help?

Nate

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

The only way I know is to change the length of the inserted variable, which can be done only when you insert the variable with the X button in the Character part of the Properties panel of the text container:

XButton.png

VarLength.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know is to change the length of the inserted variable, which can be done only when you insert the variable with the X button in the Character part of the Properties panel of the text container:

XButton.png

VarLength.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solution solved the issue for me in Captivate 2017. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show screenshots of your issue?

In current Captivate versions you can only set the length of characters up to a maximum of 150.

Have you made sure that the text container in which the variable is displayed is indeed large enough to accommodate the number of characters you have specified?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I worked on this again, it does seem that 150 characters are showing now. I felt I was able to get longer passages to show in a variable in the past, but I guess I was wrong. 150 is the maximum for now? Thanks for your help.

Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier versions of Captivate you could display up to 250 characters or so.  But since Cp8 this has been reduced.  Not sure why Adobe chose to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources