4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 6:18 AM by Roei Tzoref

Rotoscoping dance in After Effects with motion tracking?

hypnocats

Hi!

How can i copy real people's dance movements from a video to an animated cartoon character using rotoscoping/masking/motion tracking in AE?

Example:

Neytiri dance rotoscoping/animation, early still very rough - YouTube

Tracking and Rotoscoping in After Effects : Dance-2014 Jayant Sharma - YouTube

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Rotoscoping dance in After Effects with motion tracking?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

With lots of work. Not sure what you are asking beyond that. This sounds like a typical "Is there a tutorial?" or "Which button must I push?" question when in fact it's just a matter of work experience and learning the individual techniques. The first example doesn't have anything to do with AE, anyway, that's 3D animation in a real 3D program and even there it simply takes practice and experience to create realistic character animations. In this particular case there isn't even any tracking or whatever involved, it's just classic reference-based animation by hand. I really think you are way in over your head as it's clear from your post that you are a neophyte and haven't even mastered some basic techniques nor an understanding of the overall process. Perhaps start with the classic bouncing ball dancing to the rhythm and take it from there?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rotoscoping dance in After Effects with motion tracking?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

in the exampled you provided there are 2 things and none of them is the cartoon character that is drawn over a video:

• * the first is a 3D CGI that is mimicking the dancing moves of the danced and I believe this was done from observation. definitely NOT rotoscoping.

• * the second example is a cut out dancing man - a video cut out - maybe it was dancing in front of a greenscreen we don't know but it's not a cartoon but a cut out of a video that was applied certain effects to make it more graphic but still it is a video and I am guessing one that was cut using procedural matte (keying effect) after the dancer was shot in front of a green screen. the face attached to the dancer is done by Tracking on to the face and getting it's position and rotation information from the tracking data so it will match. this is called Tracking or Match Moving and this too is a skill that requires time and patience to learn. but it is sometime easier than Rotoscoping. the two can be combined together to make life easier for the ROTO. but this is advanced stuff.

About Rotoscoping as an Art of Cutting an Image from a video (not drawing on top of it):

there are several ways to do Rotoscoping (cutting out a moving image) and all require a lot of practice and patience. there is no way to easily do this and it is a skill that takes time to get into. different types of techniques are described here: https://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-art-of-roto-2011/

to draw on top of a video (without Cutting it) is Animated Rotoscoping and can be done in Photoshop. some do it with "Frame Animation Timeline" and others do it With "Video Timeline.

The main workflow is this:

1. you import your video to photoshop

2. create a timeline from that video

3. draw frame by frame on top of the video

4. export the sequence as a new video

more about the process of these Animated Roto techniques can be found in this post.

Re: rotoscoping techniques: Frame Animation vs Video Timeline - there are links and information in the post for different examples. the post is a work in the making. I tried to treat this as an article but new to the forums (in terms of contributing content) so realized once a user posts a comment on my comment - I can't access it anymore (which makes sense)

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Rotoscoping dance in After Effects with motion tracking?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One small comment from me. The first video could be done in Blender (free and open source 3D app) using their tracking to rig the character. Expect to spend days in the process.

The second video could be done with some simple motion tracking and face replacement with a still. The body of the dancer could be shot on green screen and then a bunch of color filters (cartoon) applied. Neither of these projects, if properly planned, would require any rotoscoping work.

if you wanted to rotoscope an animation you should take a look at this article by one of the masters of visual effects Scott Squires. Be sure to watch both parts.

Don't expect this kind of a project to be quick. 3 minutes of hand roto of someone dancing I'm guessing somewhere around 7 days of full time work for a beginner. You'll be an expert at hand roto by the time you are done.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Rotoscoping dance in After Effects with motion tracking?
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Rick Gerard wrote:

One small comment from me. The first video could be done in Blender (free and open source 3D app) using their tracking to rig the character. Expect to spend days in the process.

Cool. thanks for Sharing that information, Rick.