5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 9:09 AM by dj_paige

LR Won't Import Subfolder - Help?

stefanie.wolcott

I am not sure if this is a LR related issue or a Mac related issue, but I used to be able to click Add Folder in Lightroom and double click on the shared drive (SDrive), which would open the subfolder options. Now, if I double click the same SDrive, LR instantly tries to upload all images within the drive and closes out of the "Choose or Create New Folder" window. There are too many images in the SDrive for a single import and would really like to narrow it down to specific folders. Is there some kind of setting in LR (or Mac, if anyone knows) that prevents double clicking from choosing the file and instead opens up the subfolder options? Or is there another way to import just a subfolder without navigating through the folder hierarchy?

Note: There are no arrow options next to the SDrive to show subfolders. I need to click on it to access that view. A single click does not open the folder and a double click causes the whole folder and all its subcontents to upload.

• 1. Re: LR Won't Import Subfolder - Help?
          dj_paige Level 9

In the Lightroom Import Dialog box, there is a check box near the top left that says "Include Subfolders", it sounds like you want this unchecked.

Now, if I double click the same SDrive, LR instantly tries to upload all images

Also, if you are double-clicking, that could be the problem, you want to single-click on the drive and/or folder name.

• 2. Re: LR Won't Import Subfolder - Help?
            stefanie.wolcott Level 1

Hi, dj_paige - thanks for your response!

I guess the issue lies with selecting the image folder I want to import (the step right before the Lightroom Import Dialog box). When I'm in the Library, I select the + next to "Folders" and then select "Add Folder...". This brings up the Mac Finder window. Previously, double clicking on any folder from this window would simply open its contents and subfolders (that way I could import just a single subfolder and not the entire drive). Now when I double click on anything, Lightroom instantly tries to upload that entire folder without letting me navigate its subfolder options first. For the project I am working on, I only want to upload a very specific subfolder. What I am trying to avoid is having all the drive images appear in the Import Dialog box since there are well over 100,000 photos. Is this a setting within Lightroom that it recognizes a double click as choosing a folder rather than opening it?

Hope this clarifies the issue a bit more!

• 3. Re: LR Won't Import Subfolder - Help?
              stefanie.wolcott Level 1

I played around with a few more options and found that making a "Favorite" shortcut on my computer to the exact files I need seems to override this issue. At this point, I have a feeling it's an issue with the computer instead of Lightroom (some settings must have changed). Thanks for the help! It seems to be working now (albeit through a different method than I previously used).

• 4. Re: LR Won't Import Subfolder - Help?
                dj_paige Level 9

stefanie.wolcott wrote:

Hi, dj_paige - thanks for your response!

I guess the issue lies with selecting the image folder I want to import (the step right before the Lightroom Import Dialog box). When I'm in the Library, I select the + next to "Folders" and then select "Add Folder...". This brings up the Mac Finder window. Previously, double clicking on any folder from this window would simply open its contents and subfolders (that way I could import just a single subfolder and not the entire drive). Now when I double click on anything, Lightroom instantly tries to upload that entire folder without letting me navigate its subfolder options first. For the project I am working on, I only want to upload a very specific subfolder. What I am trying to avoid is having all the drive images appear in the Import Dialog box since there are well over 100,000 photos. Is this a setting within Lightroom that it recognizes a double click as choosing a folder rather than opening it?

Hope this clarifies the issue a bit more!

I really lost here. To import photos, you should not be in the Library, you should not click on the + next to folders, you should not need to "Add Folder..."

To import photos, you need to go into the Lightroom Import dialog box (there is no need to perform any task in the Library Module first) using the menu command File->Import ... or the Import button, and then you select (single click) the folder you want to import from. There is a check box that allows you to include subfolders (if the box is checked), or not (if the box is unchecked). Then you click the Import button.

So it seems to me that you are performing steps that I don't understand and I don't think are necessary, and this is the cause of your problems.

• 5. Re: LR Won't Import Subfolder - Help?
                  dj_paige Level 9

stefanie.wolcott wrote:

I played around with a few more options and found that making a "Favorite" shortcut on my computer to the exact files I need seems to override this issue. At this point, I have a feeling it's an issue with the computer instead of Lightroom (some settings must have changed). Thanks for the help! It seems to be working now (albeit through a different method than I previously used).

That's quite an unnecessary work-around. Please read my previous reply.