5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 6:44 AM by carmenw25775772

InDesign 6 cross-references cause mysterious line breaks

carmenw25775772

In a paragraph with several (7) cross-refs, InDesign 6 makes the text drop down to the next line, for apparently no reason, even though there is space for the text on the same line.

Here's my example:

At the end of line 1): when I make a link to Unit 52, it makes the word "article" drop down to the next line, even though there is room for it. (And also with 19, 22, when they are made into links, they drop down.) If I remove the cross-ref on "52" the word come back up to the same line.

1) Animate and inanimate. This distinction affects how we use articles and verbs so it is discussed in most units on verbs and articles, but among

other places in the following units: 17, 19/B, 19/C, 21/B, 22/A, 22/B and 22/C, 23/C, 27 (used as object), 52 (summary of articles).

So after I create the 7th cross-ref, the line breaks like this:

1) Animate and inanimate. This distinction affects how we use articles and verbs so it is discussed in most units on verbs and articles, but among

other places in the following units: 17, 19/B, 19/C, 21/B, 22/A, 22/B and 22/C, 23/C, 27 (used as object), 52 (summary of

articles).

It seems like InDesign 6 can only handle a certain amount of cross-refs on one line.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? Do you know what to do about it?

Thanks for any input and help!