1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 4:35 PM by trshaner

Help Please: Backups. Hard Drive Full

Josie72

Hi,

I'm posting this for a friend who is a semi profess photographer but she has limited technology experience. As do I when it comes to Lightroom

I don't have my hands on her laptop yet but I got her to run TreeSize Free to see exactly what was taking up all the space on her hard drive, which is 1TB.

Her screenshot she sent me shows 440GB in pictures and 298GB in Lightroom Backups.

I did a lot of research before posting here and a lot of users seem to delete Lightroom backups older than 6 months old. In saying that other users have said that by doing that you can inadvertently delete necessary components from the deleted backups.

In in my situation, I have 6 year old twins so I have thousands of photos which after I've edited and printed, I transfer to my external hard drive thus freeing up space on my hard drive.

Can you please tell me what you do? 

Do you delete old Lightroom backups?

Do you move Lightroom backups to and external HDD or SSD?

Do you move your photos from your Pictures folder to an external HDD or SSD?

I believe her Norton Backup program was also backing up her whole computer so this would also take up hard drive space (I think)

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Help Please: Backups. Hard Drive Full
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't mention what version of LR your friend is using, but if it's LR 5, 6, or CC 2015 the LR catalog file is a compressed ZIP file. With 440 GB of picture files the catalog file should be ~300 MB. If there are 298 GB of LR Backups it's time to remove some of them. See this video for some suggestions:

Archive and Backup « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Josie72 wrote:

Do you delete old Lightroom backups?

I keep one LR Catalog backup for each month going back 12 months (one year). This give me the ability to go back one-year in increments of one-month, which is pretty comprehensive.

Do you move Lightroom backups to and external HDD or SSD?

The LR Catalog and Picture image files must be backed up to a separate external HDD in addition to remaining on a local system HDD. This provides a true "backup" that can be used in the event the system HDD becomes corrupted.

Do you move your photos from your Pictures folder to an external HDD or SSD?

If you run out of disk space some or all of the picture files can be moved to an external HDD. This must be a separate HDD and NOT The external drive used for backup purposes.

I believe her Norton Backup program was also backing up her whole computer so this would also take up hard drive space (I think)

If Norton Backup is already making a backup of all picture files, the current working LR catalog file, and LR Catalog backup files just make sure it is to a separate HDD used for backup only as described above.