4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 2:22 AM by richardplondon

LR 5.7 - unable to create a new folder and import photos into that folder [was: Could Adobe Fix Lightroom so that it is functional?]

via/design

I can not believe that after using adobe for years that lightroom can be this difficult to maneuver - PLEASE fix this program to be user intuitive. It is so very far removed for simplicity of use. Please fix or go back to supporting Aperture. My images/folders and files are a total disaster.

• 1. Re: Could Adobe Fix Lightroom so that it is functional?
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exactly is your issue, the version you are using and your OS?

• 2. Re: Could Adobe Fix Lightroom so that it is functional?
            via/design Level 1

Yosemite / Lightroom 5.7 

Imports are not intuitive on where the images are placed - you create a folder and cannot import directly into that folder, etc.

• 3. Re: Could Adobe Fix Lightroom so that it is functional?
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exactly does not work? LR can import into a folder you specify in the import dialog.

How to transfer photos from a camera or card reader to Photoshop Lightroom

See 5. Tell Lightroom where to put your photos.

• 4. Re: Could Adobe Fix Lightroom so that it is functional?
                richardplondon Level 4

...you create a folder and cannot import directly into that folder, etc.

Perhaps the difficulty here, comes from conceiving of that as two sequential tasks, rather than as one integrated task, e.g.:

• Make a folder, manually put the images in there, then go and find that location AGAIN for an Import with Add
                • Make a folder, then go and find that location AGAIN as the destination for an Import with Copy

neither of those is appealing to me. Lightroom is IMO most helpful when streamlining away such tedious stuff.

LR can make the folder FOR YOU, and file the images into that, under your instructions, while Importing.

Let's say that my system was year-based at the top level, then months, then day by day folders within that, each prefixed with the date in a standard form, say '2016-07-16'. LR can execute all of that for me straight away, as an automatic hands-free and error-free process. Then if I want, after import, I can append some descriptive text (client, location, whatever) onto a given folder name from within LR.

Alternatively, I may want to have LR just go some standard parent folder, and then type in a custom SUBFOLDER name within the Import dialog (Destination panel) so as to meet specific needs of this - otherwise automated - Import with Copy. Type in some batch keywords too, perhaps.

IOW: recall an Import preset to re-initialise the Import settings, and then individualise from there. But I prefer the former kind of setup whereby even if you don't individualise what is offered at all, you still get something which auto-files images in a useable and meaningful manner. I don't customise folder names myself, so that's sufficient right there.