7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 11:56 PM by RoninEdits

SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC

Tiro4K

Hi Everyone

I have recently updated my system and would appreciate any advice on how to set up the SSDs & HDD for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC

I have a Sony DSC-RX100 IV and a Sony FDR-AX100 video camera.

From a video point of view I want to smoothly edit XAVC-S 4k video.

The video will be from a single camera and only home movies etc, no professional work.

I will be using Premiere Pro CC for video editing and also Lightroom CC for photo editing  - Camera Canon 7D & RX100 IV

My system does not have the latest CPU, Motherboard & RAM

System Build

Motherboard

ASUS P9X79 PRO

CPU

Intel i7 4930K

RAM

G.Skill F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL 64GB (8x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3

Graphics Card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB

Sound Card

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Storage

1. SSD

Samsung 840 Pro ssd 256GB - To be used as the os / programs drive

2. SSD

SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB (x2) via PCI-Express 3.0 x4 adaptor card

I am planning to use these two ssds in Raid 0

3. HDD

Western Digital WD RE 6TB Enterprise HDD

For video & photo storage / backup

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
          JEShort01 Level 4

For 1. SSD boot drive - that's a fine choice; I'll assume that you already own one or you would have selected a 850 Pro.

For 2. SSD data storage drive(s) - you sure don't need the speed of RAID 0 2x 950 Pro M.2 drives! You can edit 2-layer Sony XAVC-S 4k video just fine on a single new, large, SATA SSD. And, on your system, if you want to maximize your editing experience (minimize lost frames, improve render speed, etc.) then make sure you get a good CPU cooler if you don't have one already and put a safe but decent overclock on your CPU.

So what are possibilities for SSD storage on your system? There are many good options; here are my favorites for your rig:

- multi-drive SSD RAID 0 off your motherboard SATA ports; for example today at Micro Center where I live you could buy 4x 480GB Micron M500 SSDs for just under $400. Affordable, very fast, and over 1.5TB of SSD RAID 0 storage

- single Intel 750 1.2TB drive; maybe not the cool factor of a 2x M.2 RAID 0, but this would be a really sound way to go for about $850 and only requires a single PCIe slot (don't you only have 3 total available for your CPU/motherboard - 16x + two 8x lane slots?)

- Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA drives: excellent drives; you could start with one and probably be completely happy with the performance, but if you decided to add another later and RAID 0 it, it would be a pretty simple upgrade move

For 3. HDD for storage / backup - another fine choice.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
            Tiro4K Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have been more specific about the upgrade.

The upgrade was buying the Samsung 950 pro m.2 ssd x2, the graphics card GTX 1070 & the HDD.

The Asus P9x79 Pro motherboard can handle the 950 pro ssd and the graphics card as it can run:

3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8, )

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode, )

2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

The older parts of the system are the motherboard, cpu & ram.

The CPU cooler I am using is the Noctua nh-d14 se2011.

• 3. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i like jim's idea's, but i would stick with samsung vs micron and intel ssd's. the 1tb 850 evo is an alternative to the 850 pro too. if you really want the m.2 and 1tb of space, you could also wait for the 1tb samsung 960 pro.

• 4. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
                JEShort01 Level 4

Tiro4K,

So confirming, are you saying that you are considering adding 2 PCIe M.2 boards to hold 2 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives, and then you're going to build a Windows OS RAID 0 array using Windows?

If so, all of my original thoughts and suggestions remain the same as above. I'm actually very fond of SSD RAIDs (some users on the forum are pretty opposed), but not with this many points of failure (2 PCIe boards + 2 M.2 drives) and no Intel management (like SATA RAIDs, or other M.2 RAID possibilities with newer motherboards).

And regarding your cooler, excellent choice! If you have not done at least a slight overclock (~ 4.0, 4.2 GHz), then you should definitely check out that possibility.

Jim

• 5. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I also like the suggestions, but do you really need the Sound card they many times complicate processing.  Unless you need some special feature that the motherboard on-board sound chip does not have most forum users do not use one.

As far as your two cameras with 4K 100Mbit/second XAVC-S you should not have any problems if you tune your system to keep unnecessary processes from interfering with your editing.  As an example of my experience with this media on this very laptop with only my quad core i7-4700HQ and 24 GB of RAM it edits my FDR-AX100 media sooth as silk.  There is one problem with Premiere 10.3 (CC 2015.3) that you have to disable the default Intel h.264 acceleration in your Edit/Preferences/Media.  Also make sure you have the latest drivers for you GTX 1070 from the nVidia web site.

I also have a Samsung T1 (now they are T3's) that is a portable USB 3.0 SSD drive and with its significantly fast speeds I can have all my project files on it and can carry a whole project from this laptop to my desktop workstation for final export and burning discs.

My workstation does have a Samsung 840 Pro for the OS/Applications and I do have currently two M.2 950 Pro 512 GB SSD's but I really do not see much advantage with a RAID0 setup they individually are fast enough for any editing.  In RAID 0 of course it will provide faster export but how much do want to save versus the risk of loosing everything with a RAID0 failure?

I will be posting a graphic to justify my RAID0 opinions later hopefully tonight yet.  It is going to take some work

• 6. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
                    Tiro4K Level 1

Hi Bill & JEShort01

Thank you for your useful information

I will remove the sound card and use the on-board audio

The problem I have with running a multi-drive SSD RAID 0 off the motherboard SATA ports is that the board only has:

Intel® X79 chipset :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white

4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue

Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10

Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :

2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white

The Marvell controller does not apparently achieve full 6Gb/s speeds

I already have the Samsung Pro 840 SSD connected to one of the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports, so I am only really left with one Intel SATA 6Gb/s port and therefore running a multi-drive SSD RAID 0 off the motherboard SATA ports is not ideal.

Also I have already purchased the two Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives.

Bill, if there is not much of an advantage with a Windows OS RAID 0 setup with the two Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives then I am happy to use the drives as two individual drives.

My original plan of running the Windows OS RAID 0 setup was to use the setup as a working drive by placing the video I want to edit on the drive and when the editing was complete to move the video back to the HDD drive.

If I use the two Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives as two individual drives then what is the recommended set up for all the different Adobe Premiere Pro files, e.g. where do the Media Cache/Media Cache Database and project, media and the rest of any project files go?

I know that I should install the OS, Adobe Premiere Pro and Lightroom on the Samsung Pro 840 SSD but what goes on the other two Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives.

Thank again, your help is appreciated.

• 7. Re: SSD & HHD setup for Premiere Pro CC & Lightroom CC
                      RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

it appears you could do motherboard raid with 2x sata ssd in raid-0 on the two intel sata 6gb ports and placing the os/apps drive on the intel sata 3gb port.

for the m.2 drives, if you don't need 1tb of space then you can return one. if you do need 1tb of space you might want to consider getting the new faster 1tb samsung drives coming soon. there is no need for raid-0 with these m.2 drives, its complete overkill as a single m.2 drive is already insanely fast. windows raid just adds problems as windows software raid isn't known for its reliability and the software raid adds overhead that increases latency to the m.2 drives.

drive assignment:

840 pro = os/apps

m.2 drive = caches/project/media

enterprise hdd = completed projects/stock footage/backups/os drive clone

if you keep both m.2 drives, then just place the files wherever you have space between the two drives. they are so fast it won't matter about splitting up tasks.