12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 3:51 PM by trshaner

Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues

TechCritic

Hi,

I am wondering, what a good catalog size is - if face recognition and reverse geo-Location is turned on.

Problem: Until now, I had just one catalog for approx. 30.000 Pictures. I just recently re-installed my PC and thought, that it would be advantageous (after various OS Upgrades and Lightroom Versions) to make everything new. However, despite very powerfull Hardware, it seems as Lightroom is facing serious issues with the number of photos in that catalog and is hardly responding. Now, I am wondering if breaking the number of photos up in smaller catalogs would help.

Hardware Specs:

CPU: I7-6700k

RAM: 64 GB

GPU: GTX 1080, 8 GB

Lightroom is installed on a SAMSUNG SSD 850 Pro / 1 TB

Photos are on a separate Samsung SSD, 850 EVO / 1 TB

Software:

Windows 10 Pro

Lightroom 6.6

Do you have any advice? Or can Lightroom usually handle the number of photos easily and there most be somewhere an error?

Thanks in advandce

Michael

• 1. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your specs are very OK.

LR can handle much larger catalogs easily.

• 2. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
            dj_paige Level 9

People report catalogs of hundreds of thousands of photos running on computers that are not top of the line, whatever that means.

Hardware, it seems as Lightroom is facing serious issues with the number of photos in that catalog and is hardly responding. Now, I am wondering if breaking the number of photos up in smaller catalogs would help.

One of the most common mistakes people make is that they assume lightroom is slowing down or having "serious issues" because of catalog size. When in fact, there are probably a dozen possible causes of slowing down or having "serious issues", and catalog size isn't one of those dozen reasons.

Please be specific. What "serious issues" are you having?

Breaking up your catalog into smaller catalogs has many disadvantages, and will not solve your problem.

• 3. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

TechCritic wrote:

I am wondering, what a good catalog size is - if face recognition and reverse geo-Location is turned on.

Problem: Until now, I had just one catalog for approx. 30.000 Pictures.

Were you running previously (up until now) with Face Recognition and Geo-Tagging turned on with no issues? Or did you just now turn those features on and LR is now running slow?

TechCritic wrote:

I just recently re-installed my PC and thought, that it would be advantageous (after various OS Upgrades and Lightroom Versions) to make everything new.

Tell is in great detail what you actually did.

• 4. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                TechCritic Level 1

HI,

sorry it took me nearly a week to respond: I was on a Business trip.

I experienced a slow catalogue before. I thought, that the reason might be related to various Version Updates (starting with LR 4), OS Version Updates and aged Hardware. So, I did everything new :

- I basically built a new PC (new Motherboard, new 64 GB RAM, new I7 6700k and a new Samsung SSD as OS Drive and a new GPU)

- I installed the newest Windows 10 PRO Version as a fresh install.

- I installed directly LR 6.6

- I created a new LR catalogue.

After all those activities lead to no improvement, I thought, that it might be the catalogue size (leading to this post).

Again, LR 6.6 is extremly slow when I switch in the personas screen. Often the application is even showing that it Kind of froze, when I wait a Minute or two it starts reacting again, but only short as Long as I am in the personas view. When I Switch back to the catalogue view LR reacts normal again.

- I tried now the following:

=> paused Geo-Tagging => no improvement

=> paused Face Recognition (which is after 3 days of running at 43%) => no improvement

=> increased all Kinds of Caches to 5 GB => no improvement

=> disabled/enabled GPU Support => no improvement

Any idea? The only Idea I have is, that meta-tags from other Programms might be a Problem. I used Picasa Face Recognition years ago. But I would have no idea, how this could be checked, if this is causing the Problems.

• 5. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                  dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom 6.6 has a known memory leak, and also has changed the way scrolling from image to image happens, and a lot of people are not happy.

You can try reverting back to Lightroom 6.5.1. How do I roll back to an earlier Lightroom release? | The Lightroom Queen Where it says 6.1.1, substitute 6.5.1

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been reports of slowdowns in 6.6 with large amounts of RAM, and I'm seeing something along those lines on my main PC. Adobe appear to be investigating the issue but this may help you.

From Simon Chen's post Lightroom 2015.6: Interactive speed/GPU usage | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Try this

1. Open Lightroom.
                    2. Invoke Lightroom > Preferences... menu command
                    3. When the Preferences dialog appears, select the Presets tab.
                    4. Click on the button labeled “Show Lightroom Presets Folder...”
                    5. Lightroom will reveal the root preset folder in the Finder/Explorer.
                    6. Now goto http://adobe.ly/29s13pW and download the config.lua file and copy it into the root preset folder at step 5.
                    7. Relaunch Lr and see if you can go further than it used to be without the config.lua.
                    8. Remove or rename the config.lua from the root preset folder after the experiment (to restore to the original Lr 6.6 behavior).

You can review the lua file yourself in Windows Notepad, but what it does is limit the aggressive caching of files that was introduced in 6.6 to speed up loading files in Develop. I found it helped, greatly.

• 7. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                      TechCritic Level 1

Thank you John - I tried it. Following are the results:

- Generally LR gets faster (e.g. Previews)

- In Persona View => no effect, it remains slow and partially unresponsive.

• 8. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                        TechCritic Level 1

Thanks DJ_Paige: I will certainly try this as the ultimate Ratio - but will wait some time to see, if there are other fixes.

• 9. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                          TechCritic Level 1

Are there any Debugging Tools or Logs that could give me further clues, what the root of the Problem might be?

• 10. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues

I suggest rolling back to 6.5.1 or CC 2015.5.1 as suggested by and see if performance improves:

Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues
                              TechCritic Level 1

@trashner @dj_paige: Thanks to both of you.

Lightroom 6.6 formed - what I would call "the perfect storm". First of all, also 6.5.1 has performance issues handling faces in bigger catalogs (I will explain more, later). With 6.6 and the known performance and memory issues, switching into the personas screeen lead to a hardly responding and sometimes wiered behaving Lightroom application. Why is not everyone experiencing this? I guess, because most users install LIghtroom 6.6 as an update to an already existing and fully indexed catalog.

So, my experiences with 6.5.1 were as follows: generally faster then 6.6. But, when I switched to the personas screen the application started lagging, but luckily to a degree where it was still somewhat responsive. So while 60% of the faces (of 30.000 photos, which took more then 15 hours) were recognized for the full catalog, I had the opportunity to "play" arround. And I discovered a few interesting things: again, the application when starting with the root directory of the catalog is still slow and accepting the first name suggestions is no fun at all. But I have organized the files/catalaog into Folders and subfolders (mostly year and then months) and started experimenting with subfolders as a starting point. And all the sudden Lightroom started to become much faster in multiple ways. The face recognition by going from one subfolder to  the next (on avareage 300 Photos) started speeding up tremendously and also working with Name suggestions etc. became easy. When I went one hierachie up (meaning a year), with sometimes 6.000 or as few as a few hundred, speed was in an uproportional way going down or up depending on the number of photos in that directory. While the indexing/recognition was still not fully completed 6000 photos meant, difficult to work with it and 500 it was very easy.

So, I started to activate subfolders of up to 1000 and waited still the face rocognition was completed. Which took just a few minutes. I repeaded this for each subdirectory and was done within 2 hours for the 40% rest. In that way the face recognition worked 3 to 4 times faster, then having lightroom do the recognition for the entire catalog at once.

Then I started to work on name suggestions etc. also on a subdirectory to subdirectory basis, which was again much faster then the applicaton behaved when the entire catalog was selected.

Conclusio

- Using 6.5.1 instead of 6.6 was an important stepp.

- However, the answer to the question of the optimal catalog size would be:

a) Catalog can be very very large

b) but to speed up face recognition and work with it, break the process up into chunks of 500 photos .

Cheers

• 12. Re: Optimal Catalog Size / Performance Issues

Interesting, thank you for providing the details of your solution. It should help others with performance issues caused by face recognition.