12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 2:04 PM by sPretzel

Reset one parameter in style to base

sPretzel Level 1

Hi,

When a style is based on parent style, but one of the style's parameters has been modified, is it possible to reset that single parameter to base (i.e., that parameter would be once again based on the parent style)? For example, the Paragraph Style has a General submenu where all the modifications to the style are indicated. It offers a Reset to Base button but that resets all the modified parameter to base. I am looking for a way to reset a single parameter.

This is for CS4.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
          George_Salnik Adobe Community Professional

Why you fear to create new style? Create, apply and forget about it.

• 2. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
            sPretzel Level 1

Hello GeorgeS,

That's a good workaround but before I resort to it, I'd like to know if resetting a single parameter to base is possible. It would be less "overhead" to work with the same style than creating new ones.

• 3. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
              George_Salnik Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, no, - clear overrides clean all overrides. May be you need to create topic in scripting and somebody help you if have free time.

• 4. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also noticing that you're using CS4. It's highly unlikely that a scripter would write something for CS4 (unless they needed it themselves or you paid them!)

• 5. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                  Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Sorry! I really don't understand what you mean!

E.g. : I've created a para style Y based on another X.

The font color is black in X para style and Blue in Y.

I want to have "black" in Y, as in X!  So, I modified it in Y para style settings!

• 6. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                    sPretzel Level 1

Hello Obi-wan,

In your example, do this:

In the paragraph style Y based on style X, instead of setting the font colour to Blue for Y, let it inherit the Black colour from X. Also change the font size in Y to 21pt, instead of 14pt in X. Then, say you want to change the font colour for Y to yellow. Change it. Now, in paragraph style Y, you have the base font X + two changes: a change to the font colour and a change to the font size (you should see that summarised in the General submenu).

My question is: can you reset only Y's font colour to base (so that it tracks the font colour of X again)? The Reset to Base button resets both the font size and font colour of Y to base, but I can't find a way to reset only the font colour to base. According to GeorgeS, it is not possible to do what I want.

Is it clear now?

• 7. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

All you need to do is manually change that single parameter back to the the value in the style of the base style. Changes to the base style in that parameter will then affect any other style based on it that shares the value in the base style.

• 8. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base

Well! … Not sure I understood! 

Capture d’écran 2016-07-20 à 21.53.01.png

Here, we have 2 para styles, X and Y!

"Pure style" X: Black, Bold, 15 pts

"Pure style" X: Yellow, Bold, 21 pts

Y+ (manual modification): Red, Bold Italic

Capture d’écran 2016-07-20 à 21.53.51.png

I play the regex! Now, Y is in black! … BUT, the para style applied has a "+"!

That means it's not pure! Totally normal with this kind of treatment!

Capture d’écran 2016-07-20 à 22.10.34.png

I play the regex again but "differently" – to make a real reset! As you can see that, the "Y" para style is pure now!

The 2nd para with "Y" para style applied is still impure because I've not resetted "Bold Italic" to "Bold"!

Is it what you mean?

To do that, I need 2 clicks! 

• 9. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base

Peter,

If you have pure and impure "Y" styles applied, that won't work! See my sample above.

If all pure, as I said [post #5], you're right! 

• 10. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                            sPretzel Level 1

Hi Peter,

Really? I thought I tried that and it didn't track the base anymore even though I manually reset to the parameter to the base value again. Though I'm not sure, I'll have to try again. If that is the case, it is almost what I want (what I want is an automatic reset, like the one that resets all values to base). There is one problem though to resetting manually by inputting the value: for values that are rounded, I may no longer remember what the exact value was in the base before rounding.

• 11. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The OP asked how to reset a single parameter in a based-on style back to base. You do that by changing the value in the definition to match the base style.

• 12. Re: Reset one parameter in style to base
                                sPretzel Level 1

Hi Obi-wan,

It's sort of what I mean. I didn't understand the last diagram because you seem to say you reset bold italic to bold but the regex shows you are resetting colour to black (again!). As I said earlier, I would like to reset the parameter without having to specifiy it manually. One reason, for example, is because I may have a base parameter be 1.34687. It would perhaps show 1.35 in the paragraph style menu, due to display rounding. I wouldn't know that it is in fact rounding 1.34687, so by manually resetting to 1.35, I would be introducing an error.