4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 8:21 AM by dj_paige

Photos shown but greyish

richardh83026275

I'm a complete Lr newbie and am getting my knickers in a twist!

I did successfully create one collection which has synced from my desktop to my ipad.  However, there's another set of pics which I did import to Lr which now look greyish when viewed.  I think this means they have been imported but I can't seem to access them!

It is possible I did something wrong.  This is what I did (I think!).  The photos are in a folder on my desktop so I imported that to Lr and wanted to create a collection of all those photos in Lr.  I created a new collection with the name 'Annecy' but that does not contain the pics I imported.  Sorry this is difficult to explain!

It would be helpful if you could explain how I should get all the photos from a folder on my desktop into a new collection.  For example, should you create the new collection name and then import the pics or import the pics first?  If the latter, once the pics have been imported how do you get them into a collection?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Photos shown but greyish
          dj_paige Level 9

However, there's another set of pics which I did import to Lr which now look greyish when viewed.  I think this means they have been imported but I can't seem to access them!

Are you talking about photos looking grayish in the Import dialog box? Or somewhere else?

• 2. Re: Photos shown but greyish
            richardh83026275 Level 1

Yes it is when I am trying to import photos.  I thought that I had already imported these pics so any idea why they are not in the Annecy folder?

• 3. Re: Photos shown but greyish
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

We need to be careful about the phrasing here. Folders and collections are not the same thing.

Folders are where your images are located on your hard drive. The images exist only in one folder.

Collections are groups of references to your images. An image can be referenced by zero, one, or many collections.

For the grayed images in the import dialog, note some of their names.

Exit the import dialog, go to the Library grid.

Click on "all photos" on the left. On the top of the screen, search for one of the file names.

Right-click on the found image, select "show in Folders". This will tell you where LR thinks the image already is.

• 4. Re: Photos shown but greyish
                dj_paige Level 9

If you really did import them previously, and they are not in the expected folder, it is most likely because you (accidentally) imported the photos into Lightroom instructing Lightroom to copy or move the photos to some other folder. Please follow the instructions by ManiacJoe to find the photos in Lightroom. Once found, you can move the photos to the desired folder.