4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 2:54 PM by Szalam

Error importing slow-mo video from iOS

PathsAndAngles

I shot some 240fps 720p slo-mo video on my iPad Pro. Tried to import it to After Effects (13.8.0.144), and I get this.

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 10.11.54 PM.png

Does After Effects not accept slo-mo video? It's the .m4v file imported to Photos from the iPad.

Apple MPEG-4 movie

2,120,752,444 bytes (2.12 GB on disk)

1280 × 720

AAC, H.264

• 1. Re: Error importing slow-mo video from iOS
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Run it through a transcoding tool like Handbrake. Hastily recorded clips from photo cameras and mobile devices often have formatting issues due to how they work. And of course AE caps off at 99fps, so your footage will need to be interpreted differently to begin with.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Error importing slow-mo video from iOS
            PathsAndAngles Level 1

Thank you. The slo-mo video on iOS is only captured at 240fps, and then delivered at 30fps. I don't have a problem with the frame rate. Coming out of the device, it's supposed to be straight-up 30fps 720p H.264, so there shouldn't be a problem at all. The "overflow" wording in there error gives me an idea, though. I'll have to check into that....

• 3. Re: Error importing slow-mo video from iOS
              PathsAndAngles Level 1

Yeah, as I suspected. It must have had to do with the file size, which originally was over 2GB. I'd say After Effects uses a 32-bit addressing for file pointers, and files larger than 2GB overflow the counters. Trimmed it down to a 650MB movie, and it imported just fine. Thanks anyway!

• 4. Re: Error importing slow-mo video from iOS
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The file size of the file wasn't the problem. AE can work with files much, much larger than that. The problem was likely to do with the way the iPad records video. Often, mobile devices record with variable frame rates and other oddites. (They do it fairly cleverly so that it doesn't appear to vary... anyway, why and how is irrelevant.) When you used software to convert it (to a needlessly smaller file size), you inadvertently solved the actual problem because transcoding it to a different format introduced a proper spec.