4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 1:53 AM by Mylenium

Can A Group of Keyframes Be Assigned to a Single Shortcut?

mksalva Level 1

I use AE to animate cartoon characters with many layers. I have to manipulate keyframes on a number of layers to do the same thing over and over again (mostly for Position, Scale, Rotation & Opacity) on multiple layers.

Is there a way to assign a group of keyframes over a single action?

For example, the little guy below has to move his arms, and different Time Remap keyframes for the hands. Every time I move an arm, I have to change the keyframes for Position, Scale, Rotation & Opacity in one combination or another for different poses. So is there a magic way to assign those keyframes to a single action?

Same goes for the eyebrows, head, and so on.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 5.05.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-17 at 5.06.11 PM.png

• 1. Re: Can A Group of Keyframes Be Assigned to a Single Shortcut?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

if you can predetermine a set of actions then you could apply them to layer markers using this script. see if that helps

http://aescripts.com/trigger/

• 2. Re: Can A Group of Keyframes Be Assigned to a Single Shortcut?
            mksalva Level 1

Thank you for your reply and your suggestion, but I watched the video, think I know how I can do most of that in AE without having to buy a $60 plugin. Plus, I'd like to avoid having to pre-comp everything like that.

• 3. Re: Can A Group of Keyframes Be Assigned to a Single Shortcut?
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

when you say "do most of that" do you mean manually or through your own code? I don't know if you are aware of that but if you want to assign different actions together you need an expression for it. if it's comp based you would need a script. maybe you should try expression forum? or Aescripts - there might be something there for you. expression and scripts are the Magic you are looking for and the price range is ridiculously cheap. many of them are "name your price" too.

• 4. Re: Can A Group of Keyframes Be Assigned to a Single Shortcut?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Plus, I'd like to avoid having to pre-comp everything like that.

Well, and that's where the wheels come off the cart (mostly). If you don't want to use pre-comps, then your only other option would be to create a very complex conditional expression that stores different states in large arrays, but since it would involve having to apply the expression to every property involved and quite likely using complex loops and valueAtTime() look-ups it would be slow as hog. That being said, it might be wise to consider ways of restructuring your project and getting away from thinking pre-comping is your enemy. As far as AE is concerned it doesn't matter how you sample time-remapping as long as you are working based on native keyframe data. It is well imaginable that you could combine your poses in ways that they can be addressed from a parent comp expression slider and the time rempapping happens across multiple pre-comps.

Mylenium