3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2016 2:57 PM by nadav_zn

Acrobat DC prompts me to save PDFs even when I have not made any changes.

nadav_zn Level 1

Very annoying. Chat support did not solve the problem. (They had me go into Regedit and delete all the current settings, but the problem came back right away.) I use Acrobat DC on 64 bit Windows 10.

• 1. Re: Acrobat DC prompts me to save PDFs even when I have not made any changes.
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you share one of these files with us (via Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)?

• 2. Re: Acrobat DC prompts me to save PDFs even when I have not made any changes.
            Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

This is usually caused by a corrupt PDF file that Acrobat (or the free Reader) can fix when it's opened. This however means that the PDF file you have open is no longer the  same as the one on the disk, hence the prompt to save the file. You can sometimes see that for a spit second, a window pops up that is trying to inform you about the fix.

A second reason for such a prompt is if the PDF file comes with Javascript that runs while the document is open, and modifies the document state. This can be e.g. which layers are displayed, information that is shown in a form field, or a few other things.

Without seeing the PDF file, it's impossible to say what exactly is causing this behavior.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Acrobat DC prompts me to save PDFs even when I have not made any changes.
              nadav_zn Level 1

Dear try67 and Karl Heinz. Thank you for your responses. Since this behavior suddenly began today and was affecting many different PDF files, I assumed that it was a bug. Upon closer examination, it appears that all the "offending" files are statements that I downloaded from one of the banks that I use (and, therefore, I cannot share any of the files). As I am relatively new to this bank, I guess I have not encountered this issue before and, based on Karl Heinz's comments, it would seem that they are doing something in the PDF generation to trigger this behavior.

Before posting to the forum, I tried Adobe's chat-based Help. As in my one previous experience with them, let's just say it was less than an optimal experience and did nothing to address my issue. Thanks for your help! - Nadav