8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2016 1:34 PM by rueyloonRufus

Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?

rueyloonRufus

I have this problem for years, but only decided to seek help now.

Usually I like to import all my photos (convert smart preview) then...

1) Select all (usually 500 to 1500 images)

2) Hit AUTO adjustments

3) Then then set Exposure to 0

4) Wait for adjustments to be applied

I do this because usually everything works fine except except auto exposure, so I like to adjust that myself.

I'll find that not all image will have Exposure set to 0, there will be batches where the exposure is not at the ZERO setting.

It's the same thing for any other batch adjustments, I can select all and change say contrast or black or white points, but the changes

will not be applied to all images.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

the changes will not be applied to all images

To clarify: If you check one of the images by going into Develop, does the Exposure slider show the correct value, or the incorrect value?   Or is it that the slider shows the correct value but the thumbnail in Library hasn't been updated properly?

• 2. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
            Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi rueyloonRufus,

It's tough to say based on your description exactly what may be happening. However, I can offer some pointers to help trouble shoot and to perhaps get to the bottom of this. I would start (in my opinion) with the premise that you are not actually selecting all the images in the folder (for a variety of possible reasons).

1. Make sure you are in a Folder view (under "Folders" in the left pane) and not viewing "Previous Import" or "Collections."

2. Open the Filmstrip and look at the status message to see how many photos are selected.

3. Make sure to expand all stacks. Here in this screen shot, you can see the Filmstrip shows "82 of 109 / 82 Selected" after I pressed "Edit > Select All." This is because I have collapsed stacks, and photos in a collapsed stack aren't selected. Use "Photos > Stacking > Expand All Stacks."

2016-07-18_16-39-01.jpg

Give these few steps a try and see if you can reproduce the issue or track it down. In particular, the status line of the Filmstrip should give you some clues. Let me know what you find.

Mike

• 3. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
              rueyloonRufus Level 1

The thumbnails takes some time to update, but I'm not referring to that.

Imagine if I select 100 photos and set exposure to -0.5 As I edit the photos one by one, I will reach a point say, photo number 30 to 34 where the setting isn't reflected, then I may encounter another batch say photo number 60 to 69 where the setting isn't reflected.

• 4. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
                rueyloonRufus Level 1

Here, I uploaded a video and tried to follow your steps.

The thing to note is, I batch changed the exposure to 0, but as I scroll through the images, you can see that

after a while, the change is not effected.

This occurs with other settings as well, like contrast, black points, white points etc...

It occurs even if I let the computer sit a while to make sure it processes what it needs to.

https://vimeo.com/175370894

• 5. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
                  Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hmmm, very strange. I use the same process you're using sometimes to adjust multiple photos and haven't seen this issue.

I wonder what would happen if you were to sync manually? Turn off Auto-Sync, then adjust one photo. Select them all (with the one you adjusted as the "most selected") and click Sync, and choose to sync exposure. Do all the images in the selection update this way?

Also, can you clarify the version of LR you're using? Is it fully updated?

Thanks,

Mike

• 6. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
                    rueyloonRufus Level 1

Yup, it's the latest version of Lightroom. Have been living with his bug for a while. I thought it is a system wide bug that everyone is facing. I've even tried to delete and reinstall Lightroom but the problem remains.

I understand the concept with auto-sync off and sync with the "most selected" image and it is the same.

I've also tried manually cutting and pasting settings and the problem is the same. Some of the images will reflect the changes while others won't.

• 7. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Thanks, your video removes the ambiguity: You change a batch of photos to have Exposure = -0.5, but not all photos end up with Exposure = -0.5 as shown by the slider in Develop.

A number of people have reported this bug over the years -- see this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: LIGHTROOM: AutoSynch and DevelopSettings->AutoTone do not get applied to ALL selected photos | Photoshop Family Customer…In that bug report, three years ago Adobe employee Pete Green initially engaged in the discussion, but there was never a follow-up.

I recommend that you add details of your issue, including your video to that bug report, and you continue the discussion there, so that everyone involved can share information. Make explicit that you're seeing the actual slider value not get changed properly, to disambiguate your symptoms from the issue where thumbnails are slow in getting updated.   Your feedback will be more effective if you compose a new reply to that thread rather than just linking off to this thread.

Adobe product developers do read the official Adobe feedback forum and it does influence them (they rarely participate in this user-to-user forum).  But Adobe hasn't fixed many (perhaps most) of the bugs reported over the years.  However, just recently, Chief Customer Advocate Jeffrey Transberry recently posted that, in response to strong feedback, the product teams have been discussing "how to best pace releases - balancing feature work, bug fixing, polish and architectural improvements".  So perhaps Adobe will invest more in bug fixing going forward?  One can hope...

• 8. Re: Batch editing not applying all changes, what's going on?
                        rueyloonRufus Level 1

I see, thanks for the feedback, I'll move it on to the other section then.

Thanks again to all.