• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Text Box/Text Callout - Unable to edit text properties (greyed out)

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC (v 15.017.20050).

I tried to insert text box and text callout - I had successfully been able to edit text before but for the past week I am unable to edit the properties of text in both command.

Capture.JPG

The box properties itself still working

Capture2.JPG

Please let me know how to fix this issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstall and it works only the first time then the problem persists.

Thank you very much,

Papon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Hi,

We have released an update today that fixes the Properties Toolbar issue and you can now continue to use it outside the Commenting app as well. Please open Acrobat or Reader DC and visit Help > Check for updates to make sure you are on the latest patch.

Details about the release: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/acrobat-dc-august-02-2016.html 

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Papon

Please refer to the following link What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC  > Text formatting tools appear automatically for typewriter and text box tools. The moment you click anywhere on a page, the Text Properties pop-up menu appears below the Comment toolbar.

or/&

Commenting in PDFs, Adobe Acrobat DC  > Add comments in a text box or callout.

This should resolve.

regards

Aj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as PaponK and neither the info in the links you provided didn't provide a resolution.

When I create a text box or text callout and add text to it, then try to change the font or font size I can't because it is greyed out.  This is also recent for me as I have been able to do this on pdf's within the past couple weeks.  I have tried taking a fresh document and creating a new pdf as well and still have the issue.

I am on Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 release version 2015.006.30198.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as PaponK and NHpipeEstimator​, and there's no solution above. I am on Adobe Acrobat Standard DC version 2015.006.30198.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2016 Jul 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this exact same issue. The solution proposed by staff member JainAjay does not work, unless you enable the Comments toolbar (see explanation below).

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Release (Continuous) version 2015.017.20050, which is the most up to date version as of today, July 23, 2016.  I was able to change the text properties just fine until last week, when it suddenly stopped working and all the properties in the Property Box became greyed out.

The problem is that the What's New instructions on the help page are poorly written. The instructions state "Text formatting tools appear automatically for typewriter and text box tools. The moment you click anywhere on a page, the Text Properties pop-up menu appears below the Comment toolbar."

So to change the text you have to now have the Comment toolbar opened. This is accomplished by going to the Tools Pane (Shift + F4), and then selecting Comment. Now the Comment toolbar appears below the toolbar on top. You can click with a text box tool and edit the properties.

I have no idea why Adobe wants to make it so difficult on us poor users. It was working just fine and then Adobe has to go and hide the function somewhere else. Really awful design decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

Seems like we're stuck with using Comment toolbar plus the little gear icon to adjust lines and fill...

Kinda sucks...

Oh and the maximum text size is 72pt, I can't type the size number and make it work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit the box properties such as color and outline style but I can't change the font size which is a big problem for me.  How were you able to get the option to change the text size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the Tools Pane (either View > Show > Tools Pane or Shift+F4)

2. Click the "Comment" tool on the Tools Pane (the "Comment" sub-toolbar show now appear below the main toolbar)

3. Make sure the Text Properties icon (looks like an "Aa") is there on the "Comment" sub-toolbar.

3. Create a text box.

4. Text formatting tools appear automatically for typewriter and text box tools. The moment you click anywhere on a page, the Text Properties pop-up menu appears below the Comment toolbar.

text-formatting-tools.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.  That actually does work!

Now my rant.....I don't understand why Adobe continues to make their software more user unfriendly and ignores users suggestions for improving the program.  This most recent problem has been just one in a long list of problems I've had with Adobe over the last 5 years using Acrobat.  "Work arounds" are not solutions.  Why must I now have to open another large toolbar to get text editing to work when screen space is already at a premium (and I have multiple 32" screens) when using Acrobat on building prints?

While waiting for an answer on this forum I researched other programs and found a solution to all of my Adobe problems.  I'm switching to Bluebeam Revu and have already been using the free demo download.  Far better tools, interface, FULLY customizable and exportable (to share with other users) toolbars....well, everything including the price!  I had a question about how to do one specific thing in the program yesterday so I tried tech support thinking they would turn me away since I wasn't a customer yet.  They spent 5 minutes on the phone with me, answered my questions, and asked me if there was anything else they could help me with.  They never even asked me about my license status with their program and didn't know I was using the trial version until the end of the call and were in fact happy to help me even after I told them.  THAT's customer service!  See ya later Adobe....don't call us, we'll call you (NOT).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have released an update today that fixes the Properties Toolbar issue and you can now continue to use it outside the Commenting app as well. Please open Acrobat or Reader DC and visit Help > Check for updates to make sure you are on the latest patch.

Details about the release: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/acrobat-dc-august-02-2016.html 

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I can alter the properties on a comment box created in Comment mode, for standard text boxes the latest Acrobat Pro DC version still shows "No current selection" in the Properties bar even though a bounded text area is clearly selected. The Format panel allows the text within the box to be altered, but there is no apparent option to change the background colour or border of the box itself.

On Mac Sierra version 10.12.2 (16C67), using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Continuous Version 2015.017.20053 (Build: 15.17.20053.194476).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why isn't there a way to vertically allign in the text box properties?  There is horizontal alignment but no way to vertically align my text in a text box.  The text in any text boxes I do, is always at the top of the text box with no margin between the top text box line and the text.  I would think there would be a way to vertial align and also create margins in the text box.

Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest release of Acrobat on 11th April 2017, this issue has been addressed.

To get the latest product update, within the product, click on the menu Help-> Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is back! On a Windows 10 machine (1709), with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2019.021.20048, most of the time, I am unable to edit the text properties. On those rare occasions when I can (about 10% of the time), I can only change one attribute. After changing that one attribute, the text properties box disappears and I am unable to get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines