6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2006 8:39 AM by L Gamble

Should I buy Flash

L Gamble Level 1
      Hi All,

I currently create web-based trainings for application-training (on proprietary applications) using Macromedia Captivate and Dreamweaver. I think that the WBTs are pretty good - they communicate information, have demonstrations and hands-on exercises. However, I have been feeling like the trainings lack a little pizazz, and that maybe I should try and purchase Flash to create some fun animations for frames that communicate a concept, or just to add some interesting movement to keep the learners interested.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth it to purchase Flash for the little animations that I would create? Plus, I would need to learn it once it's purchased - is it something that I can figure out on my own, knowing that I understand Captivate and Dreamweaver already?

Thank you,
      Lynn
        • 1. Re: Should I buy Flash
          Level 7
          Flash can certainly be used to add pizazz. Your learning curve is hard to judge but I am betting you
          will pick up the animation side of flash pretty quickly. I suggest downloading the 30-day trial and
          kicking its tires first hand - i have a flash resource blog with links to articles and tutorials
          that may also help:
          www.keyframer.com

any specific questions feel free to ask here.

good luck

--> Adobe Certified Expert *ACE*
          --> www.mudbubble.com
          --> www.keyframer.com

L Gamble wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I currently create web-based trainings for application-training (on
          > proprietary applications) using Macromedia Captivate and Dreamweaver. I think
          > that the WBTs are pretty good - they communicate information, have
          > demonstrations and hands-on exercises. However, I have been feeling like the
          > trainings lack a little pizazz, and that maybe I should try and purchase Flash
          > to create some fun animations for frames that communicate a concept, or just to
          > add some interesting movement to keep the learners interested.
          >
          > Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth it to purchase Flash for the
          > little animations that I would create? Plus, I would need to learn it once
          > it's purchased - is it something that I can figure out on my own, knowing that
          > I understand Captivate and Dreamweaver already?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Lynn
          >
          • 2. Re: Should I buy Flash
            L Gamble Level 1
            Great, thanks Chris. I think I'll download the trial and play around with it!!

Lynn
            • 3. Re: Should I buy Flash
              L Gamble Level 1
              Chris, would you recommend Flash Basic or Flash Professional?

Thanks,
              Lynn
              • 4. Should I buy Flash
                PepperKev
                Good luck! I went from Flash newbie to reasonably competent fairly quickly. My motto is "Fake it till ya make it!" I should put that in my sig line.

And whatever you do, don't be afraid of using this forum, and the flash help. Every wall I hit, I had my questions answered here. I borrowed a stack of books, never opened them. Just use the "search" first before you ask a question, some topics get a lot of discussion, and sometimes the same questions are posed by a different person repeatedly. Also, I found it helpful to search the forum when I hit the wall, not after two days of muddling around with a problem i couldn't solve.

Right now I'm trying to return the favour by responding to basic questions that I am competent to answer. I'm leaving the tough ones to the experts here.

• 5. Re: Should I buy Flash
                  Level 7
                  I would say Flash Basic is plenty for your needs - but you may have more needs as you grow with
                  Flash - up to you. for now basic will do what you want.

--> Adobe Certified Expert *ACE*
                  --> www.mudbubble.com
                  --> www.keyframer.com

L Gamble wrote:
                  > Great, thanks Chris. I think I'll download the trial and play around with it!!
                  >
                  > Lynn
                  • 6. Re: Should I buy Flash
                    L Gamble Level 1
                    I have no screen name... thank you! That gives me hope. I always kind of felt the same way about "fake it till ya make it".

Chris, thanks - that's what I thought.

I'm sure I'll be posting questions soon (but I'll be sure to search the forum first before posting)....
                    Lynn