4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 12:11 AM by Test Screen Name

Exporting/Saving Renderable Text from PDF to text file

dklataske

I have several thousand PDF files, most of them have OCR text embedded. I am using Acrobat 9 Pro and am not able to use the Save As or Export functions to save the text into a text file. I have done this in the past, but this set of PDF files has renderable text that won't export or save to a text file. Because I have over 5,000 files, I need to use the batch conversation, but I can't get the text to export. I am able to open an individual PDF file, select text and then copy the text to a notepad file, so I know that these files contain text. I'm just not able to export the text using the Save As or Export options. I appreciate any help!

• 1. Re: Exporting/Saving Renderable Text from PDF to text file
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What exactly have you tried, and what were the results?

• 2. Re: Exporting/Saving Renderable Text from PDF to text file
            dklataske Level 1

Using my computer with Acrobat 9 Pro, with individual files I have tried to save the PDF file as a text file and I have also tried to export the file to a text file format. In both cases none of the OCR text was captured in the text file. Each PDF has a form field with a bates number on the first page. The only text exported to the text file was the text within the form field. I also tried with my Acrobat XI Standard and that also exported only the form field data to the text file. I know text exists within the PDF files because I can select the text, copy it and paste it into another document like a wordpad file. When I try to OCR the document, the software won’t run text recognition because there is already renderable text on each page. Somehow, the PDF was created to include the text in the PDF file, but I can’t seem to be able to extract the text. I spoke to the vendor that created the files and they are able to use their software to extract the text from each PDF file. I’m happy to have the problem resolved in the short term, but am frustrated that some software systems appear to create PDF files that won’t allow text to be extracted using Save As or Export.

• 3. Re: Exporting/Saving Renderable Text from PDF to text file
              girijaAgarwal Adobe Employee

Hi David,

Could you please send us the file you were having this issue with?

Thanks,

Girija

• 4. Re: Exporting/Saving Renderable Text from PDF to text file
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Also please describe the exact clicks you make on buttons or menus to "export" or "save". The reason is that some bits of Acrobat are specifically designed to export form fields.

Also so please try to select and copy text then paste into Word. If you can't then there isn't actually any text to save.