1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 19, 2016 4:44 AM by Test Screen Name

Fast Web View - How does it affect the document?

tomabdf

Hi all,

I am finding conflicting information about the "Optimize for Fast Web View" option, which is enabled by default on most PDF conversion setting presets.

I am using the PDFmaker plugin (CC 2016 installed) to convert Microsoft Word (2016 installed) files into PDF for print. The Word files contain text, tables, images as well as MS objects and really pretty much anything you can put in a Word file. These files are being produced for press and web applications, so I am mostly concerned about the High Quality Print and Press Quality presets, if that makes any difference.

As I understand it, the feature is meant to linearize the document. According to the Distiller online help guide:

Restructures the file for faster access (page-at-a-time downloading, or byte serving) from web servers. This option compresses text and line art, overriding compression selections on the Images panel.

Adobe PDF conversion settings

However, I found the following in the forums

For at least Adobe applications that produce PDF, the Optimize for Fast Web View option results in no difference whatsoever in the quality of the resultant PDF. Yes, the file is a bit bigger, but there is no quality difference.

Optimize The PDF For Fast Web View

So, does that option actually make a difference in the looks of the PDF?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Fast Web View - How does it affect the document?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Fast web view should not affect quality in any way, unless combined with other changes. I think I can see the source of your dilemma.

This option compresses text and line art, overriding compression selections on the Images panel.

Compressing text and line art should always be done because it has no impact on quality. A form of ZIP compression is used, not JPEG. Text is stored as strings to show; line art is stored as coordinates to fill. There is no scope for destructive compression.

1 person found this helpful