5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 8:42 AM by JimHess

Can't converte my .NEF files to .DNG

DavidGrajales Level 1

Days ago I bought a Nikon D3300 and started shooting in RAW format. I thought that I was going to be avaible to import my photos directly to Lightroom, but it seems like I was wrong. I googled and read some articles and decided to convert my .NEF files to .DNG to import them. I downloaded the latest version of DNG Converter for Mac (DNGConverter_9_6.dmg) but I couldn't select any of my photos. I attached a screenshot where you can see I'm using the DNG Converter and trying to select the photos i want to convert.

Thank you.

Captura de pantalla 2016-07-18 a las 23.23.52.png

• 1. Re: Can't converte my .NEF files to .DNG
          mcucinat Level 3

Hello,

this is because you cannot pick the single images to convert; instead, you have to select the folder containing them.

BTW, Nikon D3300 is supported since Lightroom 5.4; which version are you using?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't converte my .NEF files to .DNG
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes. In the DNG converter you need to simply select the FOLDER containing the images. If you open that folder then the converter will not see any images to convert. You can use the DNG converter to download the images from your camera converting them in the process, and then putting the resulting DNG's in the desired folder on your hard drive.

• 3. Re: Can't converte my .NEF files to .DNG
              MontereyMike Level 1

Stupid answer.  We've already downloaded the NEF files to a folder on the Desktop.  The converter will not recognize the files in the folder in Lightroom.  Yeeeesh

• 4. Re: Can't converte my .NEF files to .DNG

Okay, the images are in a folder on your computer. But the answer is still the same. The DNG converter works at the FOLDER level. You choose a FOLDER containing raw images in the DNG converter, but you don't open the folder. If you open the folder containing the raw images, then you will receive the message indicating that there are no raw files to convert.

DNG setup.JPG

And you have to use the DNG converter separately from Lightroom BEFORE you try to open them in Lightroom. If Lightroom won't open the NEF files then it won't convert them to DNG either. The DNG conversion in Lightroom only works if Lightroom already recognizes and supports the original raw files. Conversion to DNG within Lightroom is for those individuals who don't need to convert but convert all their raw files to DNG as part of their normal raw workflow.

• 5. Re: Can't converte my .NEF files to .DNG

mcucinat  wrote

Hello,

this is because you cannot pick the single images to convert; instead, you have to select the folder containing them.

BTW, Nikon D3300 is supported since Lightroom 5.4; which version are you using?

Actually, it is possible to pick single images to convert. You can drag the icon of an raw file onto the icon of the DNG converter when it is closed, and the converter will open and convert the single file.