8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 1:25 AM by rjbphoto1

Lightroom duplicating images

rjbphoto1 Level 1

I have a problem with Lightroom that has just started occuring.

In my catalog I'm seeing two of the same image for some reason, see below.

Capture1.JPG

They are identical images with the same file name (800-0-12430-R2.psd) and in the same location (the folder is WHITBY)

When I go to the folder in question there is only one image with that file name in there so I can't see where Lightroom is getting the second one from -

Capture2.JPG

I tried deleting the duplicates but when I synchronise the folder they reappear.

I have Don't import Suspected Duplicates ticked.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Lightroom duplicating images
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Weird! Are you looking at the same folder in Lightroom? Not at a collection? You might have a duplicate in another folder and if you are looking at "all photographs" or at a collection they will show up next to each other and be indistinguishable.

• 2. Re: Lightroom duplicating images
            rjbphoto1 Level 1

I am looking at "all photographs" but I don't have the photos in a collection, so I can't understand where the second image is appearing from. If I right click on the photo and say "show folder location" it takes me to the same folder for both images!

I'm really baffled by this.

• 3. Re: Lightroom duplicating images
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Right click on each image and select Show in Finder or Explorer depending on  your operating system. They are probably is 2 different folders.

• 4. Re: Lightroom duplicating images

If you do the "show in folder" in Lightroom do you see one image or two? You might have two folders in Lightroom with the same name.

• 5. Re: Lightroom duplicating images
                  rjbphoto1 Level 1

I'm afraid not, they both point to the same folder. If I delete one of the images and then synchronise just that particular folder it brings in the second image again. I wouldn't think it should be able to do that as it shouldn't be possible to have two files with the same filename in the same folder.

When I look at the folder in Explorer only one file is showing.

• 6. Re: Lightroom duplicating images

It definitely shouldn't be possible and judging from your screenshot it is not simply a virtual copy (which would have a dog earmark). Try holding the alt/option key while you start Lightroom and select "check integrity of this catalog". Can you show us a screenshot of the left Folder bar with the folder selected that has the two identical images in it?

• 7. Re: Lightroom duplicating images
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In the Library module expand the Metadata panel and look at the Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized and then the Metadata Date.

Also in the your File manager look at the Date, the Date Created and the Date modified. Something about these 2 images must be different and the File Name must be different in some way for both of them to be in the same folder. Like a Space at the beginning of the name or a double space in the name itself.

If you don't have the last 2 date categories, Created and Modified, you can add them or do a Get Info, Mac, or Properties, Windows, of the 2 files.

In your file manager are there actually 2 files. No 2 files can have the exact same name in any one folder.

• 8. Re: Lightroom duplicating images
                        rjbphoto1 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I checked the integrity of the catalog and it didn't come up with any errors.

In the end I've made a new catalog and brought the folders into the new catalog and this time there are no duplicates!