16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 2:36 PM by Secttor Design

Sonar effect from logo..

Secttor Design Level 1

Hi

I have to create an animated logo with some sort of a sonar effect. The ideea is  that after the moving line+it's shadow It should remain the desaturated logo..until reaches 12:00..after that leaves behind the normal logo color..and loops. 

Do you think that this could be done in AE ? Any tutorial which can help me with ?

Thanks for any suggestion.

b7TDL.jpg

• 1. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Apply a matching radial wipe to your logo and animate it's parameters in addition with the layer's overall opacity.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
            Secttor Design Level 1

So all needed elements will be created in PS (including shadow?) and importer in AE for animation. Do you know any related tutorial for such job ? AE CC on my system.

Thanks so much!

• 3. Re: Sonar effect from logo..

You can create everything in AE using shape layers, the Beam effect and the already mentioned Radial Wipe effect. Of course nothing stops you from using imported graphics as well.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                Secttor Design Level 1

I see.. and overall.. do you consider AE to be the best tool for my need in this case or Flash/PS can handle better such animations?

• 5. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

some people are comfortable designing in an effects based environment. you create certain rules and parameters and then are left with making the key-frames. others are more comfortable with creating from scratch the lines, the effect itself without being bound to what the software effect can or can not do.

there are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. for example: in Ae in you create imagery based on effects parameters in a non destructive software - you can always accomodate to changes pretty easily. in Ps you are more free to design exactly the way you want with brushes and layers more freely than in Ae. I know designers who design mostly in Ae - where creating light and blur and complex effects is easily done with plugins and cameras and lights. on the other hand I can tell you from many years of examining works by students that you can tell if the person started a design process in photoshop or not. you can tell how it looks like an effect and not detailed enough - text is not textured or detailed, things like "right" and to much CGI and stale. my advice is experiment and work how you like too and the judgement will be based on the result and nothing else.

for this type an effect a possible working process in Ae would be:

1.adding a circle effect to a solid layer.

2.duplicating the effects and changing the effect to "Thickness" mode and create 3 instances for 3 circular edges

3.adding the beam effect on top and playing with the parameters till you get it right

4. rotate the beam layer

in Ps the process could be:

1. create a shape layer for the black circle

2. create 3 other shape layers with stroke alone

3. creating a mask of the beam and feathering the edges

4. bring the layers to ae and rotate the beam layer

• 6. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                    Secttor Design Level 1

I understand and thanks a lot for information!

Also..any ideeas regarding the most based on quality results import from PS CC to AE ?

• 7. Re: Sonar effect from logo..

please rephrase your question. I don't understand what do you mean? there shouldn't be any problems in regards to quality if what you see in Photoshop is what you plan to do in Ae. if you are going to scale it up you should bring it to Ae as big as it should be.

try this:

Import files from Photoshop to After Effects | Adobe After Effects CC tutorials

Preparing and importing still images in After Effects

• 8. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                        Secttor Design Level 1

I mean.. I don't want have a quality loss due to the importing format..that's the ideea. Somebody told me that this request can be easily covered in PS.. is that true? Can I get the same fluent transition and movement in PS as I get in AE?

• 9. Re: Sonar effect from logo..

there is no quality loss or format problems. I take it that you are very new to the software. Maybe you should cover the basics first but this is 100 % after effects type of project that can be executed with the best quality possible either with cobination with photoshop or not. If you meant that you can execute the whole thing in ps - you can but it requires knowledge and skill to be able to animate in ps utilizing the various timeline capabilities that exist in the software. You got solid information here, workflows, good advice - now go do the darn thing and show us what you did

• 10. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop has very limited animation capabilities and they are difficult to use. With basic skills in After Effects and Photoshop it would take you much longer to create your animation in Photoshop. The animation you describe would take me about 5 minutes to create in After Effects using a shape layer for the screen, a shape layer with a gradient fill and a stroke for the sweep, a duplicate of the screen layer for a track matte and a text layer for the logo. Doing the same animation in Photoshop would probably take at least a half hour, maybe even 45 minutes.

The project looks like this after four and a half minutes:

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 8.22.15 AM.png

• 11. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                              Secttor Design Level 1

the main worry is regarding the.. transition between text and .. without .. at the next round of the animation I quess your text dissapears.

My request include : a logo, a desaturated logo.. and a transition between them at 12:00 'clock position by using that.. "shape+shadow" .. how can I do this in AE  except the elements described above.. ?

• 12. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a million ways to do what you want to do. if you take a close look at the screenshot and recreate the artwork and animation, then just set the proper keyframe values and add opacity keyframes to fade the logo out after the sweep happens then you're done.

I would probably just animate one cycle of the sweep, pre-compose the elements and then use time remapping and a loopOut() expression to make the loop last as long as it is needed.

if you are new to AE please start here so you can get an idea of how the UI works and how to add keyframes: Basic AE

• 13. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                                  Secttor Design Level 1

easy to say.. I'm a Ps user mainly and I'm new in AE.. saw a lot of differences in terms of timeline and the workflow in pretty much different. I saw that all my shapes can be imported in AE as .psd which is good enough.

So here it is : 2 circles : 1 orange & 1 grey, a rotation red shape (has mask in Ps) which will cover in front color (orange) and reveal grey.. at 12:00 colors switch in terms of reveal. If anyone has time for more detailed steps for doing this after importing them in AE it would be great.. I will appreciate!

Monday I have to deliver this and I'm pretty stressed by it.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 14. Re: Sonar effect from logo..

Nothing will "disappear" if you don't animate the opacity or the value of the transition beyond the required point. The rest is no different than PS. You just need to get away from making your life difficult by a) creating your elements in PS, b) thinking in terms of "switching colors" or such nonsense and c) not distinguishing between the visual result and the underlying processes. There's really not much more to it than to create the wipe transition and animate the opacity of a bunch of layers. What does it even matter if you do it for one layer only or a hundred layers with different timing? You have already all the answers you need by ways of Rick's screenshot, you just need to implement it. You really need to get away from your static thinking and trying to do it all at once. Just like you wouldn't use the old-fashioned eraser in PS to cut out an image and rather modulate transparency with a layer mask, you use transitions, masks, and mattes to same effect in AE and on top of it you can animate their intensities with a bunch of keyframes.

Mylenium

• 15. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                                      Secttor Design Level 1

Ok.. I understood.. I see progress in my project but I need some help also..

1. I'm using the radial wipe effect to have what I want and opacity for first layer..

Untitled-1.jpg

2. at the end the second layer.. grey one.

Untitled-2.jpg

how can I get only behind the radial-wipe effect the grey layer?

thanks so much..

• 16. Re: Sonar effect from logo..
                                        Secttor Design Level 1

made all these happend at the end.. so transition is ok.. the last word is related to the line+shadow that must syncronize and rotate with the radial-wipe effect.. any ideeas?