1 2 3 Previous Next 90 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 8:32 AM by tonyb54732392 Branched to a new discussion.

AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

popevideo

Hi,

Since updating to OS X 10.11.6 After Effects crashes and forces my computer to restart every time I launch the app.  I've reinstalled the app, updated graphics driver but still same results. Is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Thanks!

Adam

System info:

Mac Pro 5,1

OS X 10.11.6

Nvidia driver: 346.03.15f01

After Effects 13.8

• 1. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Which specific video card is installed?

Could you share a system info report (Apple menu > About this Mac > System Report > save this file) with me, via private message?

The After Effects team is investigating other reports similar to this. Mac OS 10.11.6 passed our certification tests, so we suspect a combination of GPU and driver having a bad interaction with GPU features in After Effects.

• 2. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
            popevideo Level 1

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying. I'm using a flashed Nvidia Titan X. I tried to send you my system report, but didn't see how to attach the file

Thanks!

Adam

• 3. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

Thanks Adam. I've received the file.

If anyone else is experiencing the problem, please post your system details here, including the GPU and drivers, and PM me so I can get your system info report.

• 4. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                Archie_01 Level 1

I have the exact same problem and am in mid-project hell.

I updated to 10.11.6, updated to the latest Nvidia driver, and Premiere, AME and AFX all crash the CPU and force a restart. (I have a 5,1 8 core Mac Pro with 64 GB RAM with a GTX-680 (Mac Edition).

This happens if I used the Nvidia "Web Driver" or the OS X "default driver".

NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.15f01

CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.30

• 5. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                  alandini Level 2

Delete the folder:

/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.3/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.app/Contents/PTX/Metal

And everything will work again.  The "Metal" libraries are forcing GPUSniffer.app to panic.  You don't need them.

5 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                    popevideo Level 1

Thank You alandini! Followed your instructions and After Effects is now working again.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                      Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Alandini good job! any tips for crashing on Windows? described here:

Ae 2015.3 stuck on flash screen suddenly

come and say hello

• 8. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                        nesmeck Level 1

It worked. Thanks

• 9. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                          brandonburkley Level 1

I had this same issue with both Premiere (2015.3) and After Effects (2015.3) and was on the phone most of yesterday with Adobe support trying to resolve. The support rep was able to fix Premiere but not After Effects on my Mac. I will try the fix recommend above for After Effects. He did say it involved the new Metal rendering engine added in the latest CC updates for Pr and Ae. I'm waiting to hear back from him today on a final resolution.

Mac Pro 5,1

OSX 10.11.6

GTX 980 (Mac Vid Cards)

Nvidia Driver: 346.03.15f01

• 10. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                            Edward Fiebke Level 1

Hello - I am having (actually, I HAD) the same problem as the original poster and others were experiencing. My two screens would go black whenever I attempted to open either Premier Pro or After Effects (latest version of each). As instructed by Alandini, I went ahead and deleted the Metal Folder found in the Contents of both programs (and the Prelude CC program as well, by the way). Everything works again!

For the record, my video card is NVIDIA's Quadro K5000 (built specifically for the Mac Pro). Because (for good or for bad) I upgraded the operating system to OS X 10.11.6, I followed through with updating the driver to the Quadro K5000 accordingly. So, my happy computer has the latests operating system and the video card has the latest driver.  (I have my complete computer system found in my User Profile.)

With this information in mind, I still have a couple lingering questions:

1) What was that "Metal Folder" that seemed to cause the video programs to crash? What added features (if any) was the contents of that folder meant to provide (now that the Metal folders are deleted)?

2) Anyone still experiencing issues with the NVIDIA-type video card with the latest driver (operating with the latest OS X 10.11.6)? I seem to be having issues. I am not able to choose the "Web Driver" option and have it remain activated after re-starting my computer. It always goes back to the "OS X Default Graphics Driver". This is new problem for me.

Thank you for any additional comments and/or insight to the issues we all seem to be experiencing, and thank you for answering my questions.

• 11. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                              alandini Level 2

Roei Tzoref wrote:

Alandini good job! any tips for crashing on Windows? described here:

Ae 2015.3 stuck on flash screen suddenly

come and say hello

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the windows version.

• 12. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                alandini Level 2

Edward Fiebke wrote:

1) What was that "Metal Folder" that seemed to cause the video programs to crash? What added features (if any) was the contents of that folder meant to provide (now that the Metal folders are deleted)?

2) Anyone still experiencing issues with the NVIDIA-type video card with the latest driver (operating with the latest OS X 10.11.6)? I seem to be having issues. I am not able to choose the "Web Driver" option and have it remain activated after re-starting my computer. It always goes back to the "OS X Default Graphics Driver". This is new problem for me.

1) Metal is a new graphics API from Apple.  It can send processes to the GPU that OpenGL and CUDA can't, usually handled by your CPU.  If you look at those files like StabilizerWarp.metallib I'd guess Metal is handling the Warp Stabilizer effect etc.  I didn't isolate it to any single library file (I just removed everything), but my guess is it's an issue with Apple's Metal API talking to the latest Nvidia drivers...which means it's not an Adobe issue (unless they can disable Metal for certain system configs before the system panic).

2) Are you running driver 346.03.15f01? Perhaps uninstall CUDA and Nvidia drivers, then reinstall.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                  Edward Fiebke Level 1

Hi alandini -

First, thank you for your thoughtful response.

I am running the latest drivers for the NVIDIA K5000, which I believe is 346.03.15f01. As mentioned, since updating to this driver (actually, since updating to OS X 10.11.6) things are "wonky", especially when attempting to manage the video card via its driver's software program via System Preference.

I wish I waited to update the operating system!  All was well up until then. (Ugh!) At least my other audio and video programs are functioning as intended, despite updating to OS X 10.11.6.

I am seriously thinking about going back to OS X 10.11.5. It would be a potentially painful process, but everything seemed to be functioning well with this version. When I get some extra time, I will try deleting and re-installing the drivers to the video card and CUDA as suggested. (I've done it before.)

Again, thank you. . .

• 14. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                    alandini Level 2

No problem!

Here's what I'd do to troubleshoot.  It might be worth a shot to prevent rolling back your OS.

1) Reset NVRAM

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

2) Reset SMC

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

3) Uninstall CUDA

easy way via terminal:

sudo rm /Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework /Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist /Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane /usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

sudo rmdir /System/Library/Extensions/CUDA /System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA

4) Uninstall Nvidia Drivers

System Preferences > NVIDIA Driver Manager > Updates > Open Uninstaller

5) Reset NVRAM

6) Reset SMC

7) Install Latest Nvidia Driver

NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 346.03.15

8) Install Latest CUDA Driver

CUDA Drivers for MAC Archive | NVIDIA

9) Reset NVRAM

10) Reset SMC

If your Mac Pro is 5 or so years old, I'd also swap the motherboard battery.  It likely won't be what solves the problem, but it's good maintenance so you're not resetting the motherboard every time you power off.  There are fake batteries on Amazon/Ebay so here's where I got mine...they're listed by Panasonic as an authorized retailer:  BR2032 - PANASONIC BATTERIES - Battery, Lithium Polymer, 190 mAh, 3 V, 2032, 20 mm | Newark element14

Battery Replacement Instructions

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA175/en_US/MacPro_Battery_DIY.pdf

You can also try Apple Hardware Test in case it's being cased by another issue.  You might have trouble booting into this using the Nvidia GPU however.

Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

Best of luck!  Rolling back the OS would definitely solve it, but I'd assume with a K5000 you'd be able to get things running just fine on the latest updates.

• 15. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                      Edward Fiebke Level 1

Gonna bookmark this and attempt to follow these directions this weekend (when I'm off from work).

On a positive note, I recently changed the battery this past early winter when I did my yearly "Clean Up the Mac Pro" thing, and remove all of the dust from . . . EVERYTHING inside. LOL!

Thank you for your time and thoughtful input.

• 16. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

Thanks to everyone who sent me system information. I'd like to give an update on this problem and what we're doing to address it.

This problem occurs when After Effects CC 2015.3 (or Premiere Pro or AME) attempt to initialize Metal, Apple's GPU technology. (CC 2015.3 includes our first, initial support for GPU acceleration using Metal. Premiere Pro can utilize Metal for the Mercury Playback Engine, while After Effects uses it only for the new GPU-accelerated effects.)

On macOS 10.11.5, Metal is not enabled for Nvidia cards, as there was an issue that caused a GPU kernel panic, requiring a reboot. Only 10.11.5 and earlier were excluded, as that issue was fixed by Apple in the 10.11.6 update. Thus, on 10.11.6, Metal is automatically available for Nvidia cards. We have successfully tested such hardware.

This new problem with 10.11.6 is a different bug with the same result, a GPU kernel panic. It appears to be limited to certain combinations of Nvidia GPU's and Mac hardware. (We have seen the problem on a range of GPU's, but all cases we have seen so far are on Mac Pro 5,1 towers. We also have 5,1's with Nvidia GPU's that do not experience the problem.)

We have been able to reproduce the problem internally. I'd like to again thank those of you who contacted me with their system information, and particularly a local user with the right combination of hardware who let us examine his machine.

We are planning to release an update soon that will, once again, disable Metal for all Nvidia GPU's on all Mac hardware. You will still be able to use GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro and After Effects, utilizing CUDA (Premiere Pro only) or OpenCL, as is currently available on 10.11.5. We are working with Nvidia to resolve the problem for a future release.

Until the update that disables Metal for Nvidia GPU's is available, there are a couple of different ways that you can work around this.

If you have installed the Nvidia drivers for macOS, first see if changing the driver setting to the OS X Default Driver (via the Nvidia application in the macOS menu bar) avoids the problem. We have seen this work in at least one case. If you do not need the Nvidia driver installed at all, try uninstalling it.

The other workaround is to remove the Metal folder from the After Effects or Premiere Pro or AME application package, as described earlier in this thread.

Our apologies about the bug.

6 people found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                          GarrettAEvans Level 1

Tempted to update on a 2013 MacPro with AMD FirePro D700, using MercGPUOpenGL.

From what I read, shouldn't be a problem, but what are your thoughts?

• 18. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                            Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi Garrett,

Yes, it is not a problem on AMD GPU's and nothing has been reported yet.

The problem is mainly noticed on 2010 MAC and below with NVidia GPU's.

//Vinay

• 19. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                              lifechurchgb

I can't even find that folder..  Can you direct me please?    

• 20. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

I can't even find that folder.. Can you direct me please?

You need to right-click on the Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app icon and choose Show Package Contents.

• 21. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                  mgalvan0828 Level 1

Thank goodness I found this thread!  I never had any issues with the web driver using a GTX 980 in my 2010 Mac Pro.

I've updated to 10.11.6 and the latest driver and I am having the exact same computer freezing/shutdown issues upon launching Premiere Pro (or any CC app for at this point).

Tim - Let me know if there is anything I can forward from my system to help you alleviate this issue (although it sounds like you are working on a solution for this now).

• 22. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

The After Effects team has a fix for this problem that we are currently testing.

Because this problem requires a specific hardware configuration (Mac computers with Nvidia GPU's), we want to test the solution with a wider variety of computers. That is to say, we want your help to test the fix.

I will be inviting anyone who has posted on this forum thread to a private prerelease program. Expect an email later today, please check your spam filter if you do not receive it. You are not required to participate in the program. If you do choose to participate, you will be required to agree to a non-disclosure agreement to join the prerelease program. All information in this prerelease program is considered confidential. Do not distribute or discuss the content of this prerelease program with anyone outside the prerelease program.

For those who have not yet posted in this thread but are experiencing the problem and want to help test the fix, please post on this thread or send me a private message, and I will invite you to the prerelease program, too.

• 23. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                      mgalvan0828 Level 1

Hi Vinay-

I just want to mention that I am experiencing this issue on both my macs with Nvidia GPUs:

• 2010 Mac Pro with Nvidia GTX 980 (PC GPU)
                                                      • 2014 Macbook Pro Retina with Nvidia GT 750

• 24. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                        Edward Fiebke Level 1

alandini -

I reset the NVRAM (which I've done before in the past). It seems that the NVIDA K5000 video card and its web driver are functioning as intended. Resetting the NVRAM work.

Thank you!

(I am going to be much more cautious before upgrading the operating system. I usually am cautious except for this past time. UGH!)

• 25. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                          alandini Level 2

Right on!

If the NVRAM seems to be easily corrupted, you can use terminal and type:

nvram -c

Then reboot...it's the same as command-option-p-r.  Easy to do when installing/updating any GPU related software.

• 26. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                            r_m_hall Adobe Community Professional

As an FYI - I also experience the kernel panic with all 3 apps (Premiere, AE and Media Encoder), on the following configuration:

Mac OS 10.11.6

Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008 dual quad core 3.2ghz Xeons)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 (2GB) with latest Nvidia 346.03.15f01 driver for 10.11.6 and CUDA 7.5.30

Can confirm that removing the metal folders allowed the apps to load without causing the kernel panic.

• 27. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                              bsbeamer Level 1

Tim Kurkoski wrote:

This new problem with 10.11.6 is a different bug with the same result, a GPU kernel panic. It appears to be limited to certain combinations of Nvidia GPU's and Mac hardware. (We have seen the problem on a range of GPU's, but all cases we have seen so far are on Mac Pro 5,1 towers. We also have 5,1's with Nvidia GPU's that do not experience the problem.)

If you have installed the Nvidia drivers for macOS, first see if changing the driver setting to the OS X Default Driver (via the Nvidia application in the macOS menu bar) avoids the problem. We have seen this work in at least one case. If you do not need the Nvidia driver installed at all, try uninstalling it.

The other workaround is to remove the Metal folder from the After Effects or Premiere Pro or AME application package, as described earlier in this thread.

The OSX Default Driver is the current "fix" that worked on my MacPro5,1 with GTX 680 (official version).  Noticing several other GPU-related issues with the OSX driver that were not present with the NVIDIA driver.  Really want/need to switch to the NVIDIA driver ASAP to get rid of those issues.

When will a true "fix" be released?

• 28. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                serjanb

Same issue Mac Pro 5,1  with GTX 980 Ti. ALANDINI's suggestion solved it!

• 29. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                  N0thingImages

Same problem with AE and AME.

Mac Pro 5,1

OSX 10.11.6

CC 2015.5

Nvidia 780ti with Nvidia Web Drivers 346.03.15f01

• 30. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                    alandini Level 2

You can remove the "Metal" folder from AE and AME as well.  Same process as Premiere but with those app contents instead.

• 31. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                      jtreist

I also experience the kernel panic with all 3 apps (latest CC versions of Premiere, AE and Media Encoder), on the following configuration:

Mac OS 10.11.6

Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008 8-core 2.8ghz Xeons)

Flashed Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) with latest Nvidia 346.03.15f01 driver for 10.11.6 and CUDA 7.5.30

also experienced the issue with flashed Nvidia GeForce GTX 980ti (6GB).

• 32. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                        alandini Level 2

New version of the Nvidia driver released today.

NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 346.03.15

• 33. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                          Archie_01 Level 1

So... what's the word on the street with this driver? I know Adobe's working on their side with updates as well.

• 34. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                            bsbeamer Level 1

Archie_01 wrote:

So... what's the word on the street with this driver? I know Adobe's working on their side with updates as well.

Working fine for me so far.  However, I went through the removing/disabling METAL folders fixes via Show Package Contents in the .app files after experiencing glitches with the OSX Default Driver in OSX 10.11.6. 

• 35. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                              N0thingImages Level 1

I used alandini's removal tip -(Thank You!!!)

Delete the folder:

/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.3/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.app/Contents/PTX/Metal

And everything will work again.  The "Metal" libraries are forcing GPUSniffer.app to panic.  You don't need them.

After doing that and installing the new web drivers NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 346.03.15 there have been no panics and everything seems to be working fine. Currently using AE and AME for as project, so I'l check back in if anything comes up.

Mac Pro 5,1 2.93ghz 12-core

Nvidia 780ti + Nvidia GT120

OS X 10.11.6

CC 2015.3

• 36. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                                louisk39352323

Hi All dear users,

I get the same reboot problem of CC, however I don't know how to locate the files below in my mac

Would anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!!!

• 37. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                                  bsbeamer Level 1

go to the Applications folder

go to the Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3 folder

go to the Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app

RIGHT-CLICK and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS (second option, below OPEN)

• 38. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6
                                                                                    Archie_01 Level 1

I'd like to preface this by saying the following contains excerpts of a conversation over email between myself (Ben Ellis, email@benellis.com) and Al Mooney, an awesome guy, and Senior Product Manger, Professional Video Editing, Adobe Systems:

I have a GTX-680 (Mac Edition) on a 5,1 8 Core Mac Pro and experienced crashes on launch of Premiere, AFX and AME 2015.3 when I upgraded from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6. I ended up rolling back to 10.11.5.

So I'd really like some insight into this one:

AL MOONEY, Senior Product Manager, Professional Video Editing

Adobe Systems, told me to do the following:

"The way to fix this is to uninstall the NVIDIA web driver and install the NVIDIA CUDA driver."

He also said:

"Metal will give you no performance improvements over CUDA on NVIDIA hardware, which is fully supported. In fact CUDA is better and faster. So I’m not sure why you’re keen to use Metal considering it’s just another alternative GPU language?" (this was in response to when I thought CUDA and METAL somehow "worked together" -- He said nothing of deleting or disabling METAL folders.

I did what he said, I re-upgraded to 10.11.6. I uninstalled the Nvidia Web Driver, leaving the latest install of CUDA alone. -- Things seem to work now.

My question, What the hell does the Nvidia Web Driver Do if I don't need it to run CUDA on my card? -- Since I bought the card I've always thought I needed to keep current on both the Nvidia Web Driver AND CUDA. Adobe's senior product manager of Professsional of Professional Video Editing tells me to UNINSTALL the Driver.

-- I'm very confused. I would very much like to upgrade to a beefier, "FLASHED" card. Someone PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME.

• 39. Re: AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

This issue is fixed in the After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8.1) bug-fix update. This update, available now, can be installed using the Creative Cloud desktop application, or by choosing Help > Updates inside any Adobe application.

1 2 3 Previous Next