16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 7:41 AM by jeffoxon

CS6 not seeing manual ACR update

jeffoxon

Hi

I  tried to manually update CS6 recently from v 7.4 to 8.5

I downloaded the zip file from Adobe, read the instructions , and carried on.  As instructed,  I extracted the file " Camera Raw.8bi " and put this in C:/ Program Files / common files / Adobe / Plug Ins / CS6 / File Formats.  I rebooted my machine and was hoping to see the new ACR 8.5 in the  CS6 /  Help / about plugins / camera raw

But ACR 7.4 is still there

Did i make a mistake ? I thought i followed the instructions to the letter

I am running Windows  8.1  64 bit

• 1. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggest installing 9.1.1 which is the last version of Camera Raw which is compatible with CS6

Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

• 2. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
            jeffoxon Level 1

Thanks, i will try v 9.1.1  but  is there any reason why 8.5 didnt show up ?  I followed the instructions to manually install 8.5 but maybe it isnt compatible with CS6 ?

• 3. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update

No idea, I'm afraid.

• 4. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                jeffoxon Level 1

OK, i downloaded the zip file in your link, and after unzipping, it appears as camera raw.8bi

Shouldnt it be called camera raw.9.1 ?

It didnt install anyway, as when i opened CS6 and checked help / about plugins / camera raw , it still says 7.4

• 5. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update

it appears as camera raw.8bi

Shouldnt it be called camera raw.9.1 ?

Don't think so. I believe the Camera Raw plugin is always called camera raw.8bi regardless of version.

It didnt install anyway, as when i opened CS6 and checked help / about plugins / camera raw , it still says 7.4

You could try manually copying the .8bi file into the File Formats folder per these steps

Adobe Camera Raw updates cannot be applied

• 6. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                    jeffoxon Level 1

I did that John and it made no difference. The link you supplied i had already found by searching google and followed the instructions to the letter, as posted in my very first post, and ACR 7.4 is still the version that appears when opening RAW files.

All i'm trying to do is update ACR so that my Nikon D610 NEF files will open directy to ACR / CS6  but at the moment i have to convert them to .DNG files  before ACR / CS6 will open them, which is a pain

• 7. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are still seeing ACR 7.4 then the new Camera Raw.8bi was copied the wrong place--it should have replaced the existing Camera Raw.8bi, or you have multiple copies of the Camera Raw plug-in, now, that PS CS6 is finding and is presenting you with the first one, which is the older one.

In PS, if you do Help / About Plug-ins, is there more than one Camera Raw listed?

If, when you copied the newer Camera Raw.8bi, you merely renamed the old one and it still has a .8bi extension, then that is the problem.  Anything with an .8bi extension is a plug-in regardless of the rest of the name, and PS would see it.

It could also be that the old Camera Raw.8bi is the wrong place and so copying the new one didn't replace the old one.  So you might have to go find all the Camera Raw.8bi files (and any variations you renamed an existing copy to) on your computer, including in the System and Hidden folders that you need to turn on an option in Explorer / Tools / Folder Options to find, and get rid of them all, then open PS and check Help / About Plug-in and see no Camera Raw listed, then copy the newer one into the location specified in the instructions.

• 8. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                        jeffoxon Level 1

I checked for multi copies and found 2 ..  C: /  Prog Files / Common Files / Adobe / CS6 / Plugins / File Formats and also in

C: /  Prog Files ( 86 ) / Common Files / Adobe / CS6 / Plugins / File Formats.  I deleted them all

Hidden Files and Folders is always checked to ' show ' on my machines, so did a file search and made sure there were no camera raw files anywhere

When checking Help / About / Plugins / Camera Raw, the only version that is listed is 7.4 and its still listing it despite deleting all camera raw files

I've now tried 8.5 / 9.1 / 9.6   So far, i have tried auto install method ( download the zip, extract and then letting it self install ) i've also tried unzipping, extracting and moving the file over to the correct folder ( C: / Prog Files / Common Files / Adobe / CS6 / Plugins / File Formats )  and that is the correct place according to Adobe

• 9. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                          jeffoxon Level 1

By the way, my version of CS6 is 32 bit, on my Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Is there any problem there do you think ?   I have no idea whether Camera Raw also comes in 32 bit and 64 bit.    Perhaps i have been trying to install ACR 64 bit instead of ACR 32 bit versions.  Then again, i have never read anywhere that ACR  has a bit version ( either 32 or 64 )

• 10. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update

These are the two NORMAL places where the Camera Raw.8bi plug-in is installed by Adobe installers:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

You must have it in another place that PS is finding, and it’s probably not named Camera Raw.8bi but something else.8bi.  Until you find it, and remove it, you’ll be stuck with 7.4 as the version PS uses despite having other versions in the correct place.

9.1.1 is the last version of ACR to work with CS6, and there are different 32-bit and 64-bit versions, yes.

• 11. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                              jeffoxon Level 1

Thanks again

I guess i need to search for another .8bi file, remove and and then try ACR 9.1 install or i'll be stuck with .DNG, which is ok if need be, but i'd rather open NEFs direct to ACR for simplicity

• 12. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                                jeffoxon Level 1

A file search for 8bi revealed nothing, and i also re-checked these 2 places...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

There are no files at all in either file formats folder

I also did a registry search as a last resort and found just 1 file called .8bi

Its under  HKEY USERS /  S-1-5-21-1429931088-1789264663-4235058161-1001 / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / FileExts / .8bi / OpenWithList

Trouble with that is I'm reluctant to delete a file from the registry in case it isnt connected to ACR.

I found this on the net regarding that key in the registry....

windows 7 - environment variable for hkey_users/software - Super User

The keys under HKEY_USERS are SIDs (Security IDentifier). There are some well known SIDs which are the same for all Systems. Microsoft has a document describing these. That same document says that S-1-5-21 are non-unique SIDs. So SIDs beginning with S-1-5-21 are created dynamically and are not the same on different systems.

To make it short: that same registry key will most likely not exist on any other PC you are getting your hands on.

• 13. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update

Leave the registry, alone.

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop CS6, deleting preferences if you feel comfortable doing that, but leaving the activation intact.

• 14. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                                    jeffoxon Level 1

Ok , will leave that alone for sure.

I guess a reinstall might be the order of the day, but if that doesnt cure it, i'm giving up and will have to stick with .DNG

Thanks for your advice

• 15. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update

The plug-in is on your computer somewhere. 

Check CS6 / Edit / Prefs / Plug-ins and see if you have an addition folder, somewhere, that isn't obvious that the plug-in could be in:

• 16. Re: CS6 not seeing manual ACR update
                                        jeffoxon Level 1

I checked that folder and its empty, so is that correct ?