5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 10:06 AM by barbtavares

Problem when I switch my layout to facing pages

drbuzzkill

I've got a catalog that I'm creating with Data Merge. I have a template set up, and everything looks fine until I switch the layout to Facing Pages. As soon as I do this, all the elements shift for some reason -- and they're uneven on each page. The elements on the right side page get skewed to the left, and vice versa. The pages should be mirror images. Has anyone had this problem? Desperate for a solution. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Problem when I switch my layout to facing pages
          Randy Hagan Adobe Community Professional

The first thing I'd do is check your left and right (or in the case of facing pages, your inside and outside) margins. If they're different, and I'd bet you a cup of coffee that they likely are, that's the first thing you'll need to fix. And maybe the only thing.

Offset side margins, to account for binding, is good for printing but lousy for the placement of data fields. Setting equal margins -- and yes, re-aligning your data placement to correspond to resetting your margins -- may fix your problem. Let your printer account for the page offsets when binding your catalog, rather than using InDesign to handle that offset placement. It'll make your life much easier ...

• 2. Re: Problem when I switch my layout to facing pages
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might have better luck if all of your fields are snapped to the margin guides and you turn on Layout Adjustment before changing the master pages.

• 3. Re: Problem when I switch my layout to facing pages
              drbuzzkill Level 1

Really appreciate the replies. The problem still persisted through all of that. I've been able to somehow use some voodoo so that things are landing in *almost* the right place. Close enough anyway. Still no clue what is causing the problem. Either it's a bug or there's some setting that I'm not considering. But thanks again for your help!

• 4. Re: Problem when I switch my layout to facing pages
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My approach would be to build a left-right symmetric template page for the merge itself and be sure that all frames are snapped to the margin guides. Turn on Layout adjustment, apply a two-page master with symmetrical margins, then edit the margins on the master.

• 5. Re: Problem when I switch my layout to facing pages
                  barbtavares Level 1

Oh how I wish there was a video to go along with this! (I'm a visual learner.)

Thanks for the tips! I will give them a go as I have had the same problem. For my work, I create facing pages proposals all day, every day and clients also ask for a PDF copy. Perhaps I just need to send PDFs with facing pages but those can be hard to navigate so I typically switch to single pages.

As stated above, I did have my margins set for binding and I guess that wasn't the best move. I wish I hadn't made and started using a template before I realized this was a problem.  :\