24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 4:35 PM by trshaner

Exported photos don't work in Blurb

lindsays37269400

I exported photos from Lightrroom onto my hard drive with a high resolution Jpeg and tried to used them on Blurb.

When I look at them in Picassa, they look perfect and they have the same resolution as photos that I have used before to make a book on Blurb before but these had not been enhanced by in Lightroom.

When imported onto Blurb the photos look terrible, the buildings have angles all serrated.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the Export Settings you are using????

Please screen shot like this:

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 6.32.07 PM.png

• 2. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
            lindsays37269400 Level 1

Thank you, I will try

• 3. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
              lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear Geoff,

I tried with the settings you advised but Blurb says that the quality of the picture is not good enough

• 4. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Sorry, I wasn't clear...

I wanted to see what setting you were using by you taking a screen shot the same as mine above!!

So what settings were you using??

• 5. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                  lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear Geoff,

I used the above for the settings, I also tried with Color Space: Pro photo as I thought I would have to use the maximum quality, as for the Image Sizing, I cannot remember exactly what I use, I have 92 pictures for my album and they are not all exactly the same size so I would like to export them as they are.

Thank you so much for your patience and help. Lindsay

• 6. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Ok..... you are not resizing so if the files are small or have been cropped they may be too small.

For Blurb sRGB is the best colour space...

Try these settings:

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 1.47.03 PM.png

• 7. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                      lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear Geoff,

Sorry but it still did not work, here are the same picture: the one exported and the same picture downloaded on Blurb

IMG_0272.JPGIMG_0273.JPG

I don't know if I have fiddled too much with my photos, maybe I should go and take a course.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

You are very kind, Lindsay

• 8. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Hi again.....

We will  get there... now can you upload to Dropbox a copy of the File by Exporting as a DNG so I can see what is happening please.

Can you also post a screen shot like this showing the metadata - see I have EXIF and IPTC as the option. I am trying to see the full size and cropped dimensions....

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 7.34.36 PM.png

Thanks....

• 9. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                          lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear Geoff,

I don't think I have Dropbox but here are pictures of the screen as requestedIMG_0274.JPGIMG_0275.JPG

• 10. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Dropbox is a free file sharing application....

Ok, so the file is not cropped so that eliminates the dimensions and the export settings.

So let us see what you have set in the Develop Module under

1 - Basic Panel

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.26.50 PM.png

and

2 - Detail Panel (you will not need sharpening most likely as you are working on a jpeg file which has sharpening applied in camera - unlike my raw file in the example here

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 8.28.11 PM.png

Please let me see screen shot of like these...

Also which software are yo viewing the exported files in?
                            What is your OS and which Lightroom version??

• 11. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                              lindsays37269400 Level 1

IMG_0276.JPGIMG_0278.JPGIMG_0278.JPGWe recently upgraded our PC to WIndows 10 and I look at my photos through WIndows 10 viewer or through Picasa. It is only in since April that I have installed Lightroom for which we pay a monthly fee, so it would have to be latest version (in the corner of the screen it says CC2015. I have published 3 books before on Blurb and they look pretty good, I just thought that with Lightroom I could do even better. By the way, I thought I could try to do the book using Lightroom because when I put the New York photos in a Lightroom book, they look great, but  Lightroom doesn't seem to be as friendly to use and doesn't seem to let you do as much variations as the Blurb program on which I can choose different size pictures for every pages. Some picture I crop not with the zoom but cut away the excess sky or water so I have a picture that is maybe 2 in high but 10 in long. Anyway, I transgress  here are the photos you asked for.

Once again thank you,

LindsayIMG_0277.JPG

• 12. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Lindsay,

I really don't know.... the only setting I see you have is clarity and not so much.....

Let me PM you and maybe you can share a file or two with me...

• 13. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Looking at Lindsay's screen-clip, I see Creator = Picasa..!!

might be time to research file compression -  Here is a link  "Why is Picasa compressing ...."    Google Groups

• 14. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

lindsays37269400 wrote:

I exported photos from Lightrroom onto my hard drive with a high resolution Jpeg and tried to used them on Blurb.

Are you using the LR Book module or one of Blurb's book apps?

When using the LR Book module there is no need to Export files. From within LR simply drag and drop image files onto pages in the Book module. You can create virtual copies of any image to create different versions of the same image file (i.e. different look or crop). Again, there is no need to Export files for placement in the LR Book module.

How to make photo books in Lightroom

• 15. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                      lindsays37269400 Level 1

I export the pictures to make a book on a Blurb program that I have used before, I don't use the Lightroom program it doesn't seem as friendly or allowing variations.

Thanks,

Lindsay

• 16. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                        lindsays37269400 Level 1

Wobertc,

I have been to your link, but my exported photos don't seem to be compressed.

Because I am new to Lightroom I have looked at my pictures through Picasa first just to decide which ones I would like to keep so that I would not download 400 photos onto Lightroom. My husband and I might have made some small corrections on some of them but not many as they would be done on Lightroom. When exported from Lightroom to  new file at what I thought the optimum quality (they are all between 3 and 7MB), they look terrible on downloaded on the Blurb book. The angles of the buildings are serrated as you can see on the pictures I posted.

Other photos of buildings that have not gone through Lightroom look fine.

As noted before, I have open a book in Lightroom to see how the photos would look and they look perfect. I have really enjoyed making these books up to now, but I have wasted so many days, I feel that I want to give up with Lightroom. I'm so disappointed.

Thank you,

Lindsay

• 17. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Ok Lindsay.....

Thanks for sharing some files.

I have examined them in Lightroom and Photoshop and they seem fine to me.

After exporting (with "Resize to fit" unchecked) with three different settings for Sharpening (none, screen and matte paper) and importing the exported files to Lightroom so I could see them side by side I can see little difference and none that would affect printing seriously or that look as jagged as yours.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 5.53.43 PM.png

Have you tried exporting with the Resize unchecked and have you viewed the exported files in Lightroom???

Try bringing the exported files back into Lightroom and see how they look....

I would certainly keep Picasa away from the files as it applies unknown default settings like sharpening.

• 18. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

lindsays37269400 wrote:

Because I am new to Lightroom I have looked at my pictures through Picasa first just to decide which ones I would like to keep so that I would not download 400 photos onto Lightroom.

Lindsay

Why are you downloading the picture files from Picasa? Don't you have the original picture files on your computer? Are you using Blurb's online photo book application. If so please tell us exactly how you are uploading pictures into the book AND from what source (Explorer, Finder, Picasa, other?). This is what's causing the problem.

Since you're paying for LR why not learn how to use it? There are plenty of tutorials available online.

Learn Lightroom, get help and support | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

The LR Book module should provide all of the functions available with Blurb's app. See this video for a quick look at what it can do:

Lightroom CC – Book Module Basics « Julieanne Kost's Blog

• 19. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                              lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear trshner,

Thanks for your advice but I have already looked at the tutorial you indicated, and it explains how to use the templates provided by Lighroom and that is not what I want to do.

Maybe it is also possible to do it in Lighroom, but in Blurb I don't have to use their templates, I design on a grid every page as I want them to be: the size of the photo, their number etc. I have looked to find a tutorial about that it Lighroom but cannot find it. I have read the instructions about how to make a book, but nowhere (that I can see) do they talk about customizing the layout.

Thank you again for your interest,

Lindsay

• 20. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                                lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear Geoff,

I imported some exported photos back onto Lighroom and they look fine. I now believe that the problem is not Lighroom but the Blurb photo viewer.

My husband and I compared the problematic photos (mainly buildings) with photos of buildings that we used in previous books and they also look a bit funny in the Blurb viewer but the books turned out fine. The problem seemed to be worse because the  NY book is mainly buildings.

Also, I have printed the photos with my HP printer and they are also fine.

My husband said I should finish the book, have it printed and see how it looks when it comes back and will let you know.

In the meanwhile, I thank you very much for your understanding and for the time you spent trying to help me, it was very much appreciated.

Lindsay St Baker

• 21. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

lindsays37269400 wrote:

I have read the instructions about how to make a book, but nowhere (that I can see) do they talk about customizing the layout.

See if this helps: Customizing Page Templates in Lightroom - YouTube

• 22. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb
                                                    lindsays37269400 Level 1

Dear trshaner,

Thank you for that link, I have watched it and it still doesn't show me what I can do easily with Blurb.

With Blurb, I just can literally draw the image boxes on the page with my mouse, I don't have to fiddle with buttons at the side. When I put my photos in them, if it doesn't look quite right I can adjust them very easily. On the same page, I can have a huge picture, 2 small ones and a medium size one, some in landscape, some in portrait.

By the time you go through 1000 photos, filter them, fix them and finally make your book, it takes weeks. I have already lost many days fiddling with this image problem and now, I just want to finish the book with a program that I am familiar with. So I will use the Blurb program for the moment, when I have more time, I will investigate taking a course.

As you must realise, I am not a professional, I enjoy very much he challenge of making my books and I am quite proud of what I have achieved: my 2 latest books look like "bought ones" and my husband takes great pictures!

So once again thank you for taking time helping me.

Lindsay

• 23. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

Lindsay, thank you for taking time to respond to the different replies.

There are many people here who know quite a lot about Lightroom and can offer different viewpoints.

Regarding the Book Module and Blurb. The module has had little attention since it was added some time back and has always had serious limitations. It really is a few bits of a few things and not a master of any...

Constructing custom pages is fraught with difficulty and in the end why would people bother when Blurbs own software does a much more complex job with more possibilities.

I think you are best to use the Blurb software but there is no reason not to use Lightroom to manage and process your files (using collections is a great way to sort files for use).

Good luck with the book.

• 24. Re: Exported photos don't work in Blurb

lindsays37269400 wrote:

Thank you for that link, I have watched it and it still doesn't show me what I can do easily with Blurb.

With Blurb, I just can literally draw the image boxes on the page with my mouse, I don't have to fiddle with buttons at the side.

I agree with