12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 1:41 PM by Bob Somrak

No sharpening in LR Mobile?

scotth51774914 Level 1

Now that LR Mobile for iOS finally supports RAW, I would like to start using it for making edits in the field on my iPad Pro when I'm away from my PC. But the one missing feature that is still holding me back is lack of a sharpening tool, other than the 'Detailed' preset, which lacks any adjustment ability. It's a feature of the Photoshop Express app so I don't understand why it isn't built into LR Mobile. I notice with the new update there is a 'Sharpness' tool within the new Local Adjust feature, but what if you want to sharpen the whole image and not just part of the image?

Hopefully this will be corrected in a future update. I'd also really like to see the HDR and Panorama tools move to LR Mobile too.

• 1. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think at present the only options are contrast and clarity. LR users normally do capture sharpening in conjunction with masking. They then use appropriate output sharpening e.g. for screen or print, on export. I’m guessing that sharpening may be in a future update, if technically possible on mobile devices but I have no timescale.

Adobe is continuing to focus on workflow improvements for CC subscribers, notably those using the iPad Pro. To transfer raw photos to your iOS mobile device, you need to use either the camera connection kit or the lightning to SD or USB kits from Apple. Or import to LR Mobile Web. Testing has been shown to work, even with large Canon 50mp files. I think at present I would find it useful for selected photos I wanted to edit and share quickly, rather than ingesting my whole shoot. I still carry my laptop for the latter. It’s obviously evolving as technology progresses. To make a feature request go to this link:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_ligh troom

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
            scotth51774914 Level 1

Contrast/clarity is not the same as sharpening. I would like a sharpening tool with a slider. I don't understand why you can do this in Photoshop Express and not LR Mobile as LR Mobile is supposed to be a more powerful app.

There is another way to get RAW files onto an iOS device. You can upload any RAW file from a PC to iCloud Drive, or better still iCloud Photo Library. You need to download iCloud onto your PC and enable iCloud Photo Library on your devices. Provided you have enough storage, iCloud Photo Library saves original, full resolution RAW images to the iCloud server and syncs them across all devices. You can then import the image from your Camera Roll into LR Mobile (it tells you which images are RAW).

We are getting close now to having a viable LR Mobile/iPad workflow.

• 3. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

scotth51774914 wrote:

There are already viable LR Mobile/iPad workflows, just not the one you seem to want.

Importing raw files into iOS is described as a "technology preview" and I'm sure sharpening will come along soon enough.

• 4. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                scotth51774914 Level 1

I just don't understand why it's a feature of Photoshop Express but not Lightroom Mobile. Lightroom Mobile is supposed to be a more fully featured image editing app. The technology is there, it just needs to be implemented into the app.

• 5. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?

It makes less sense if you're not looking at images at 1:1. Until now, LrM has relied on smart previews.

• 6. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                    Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Yes to what John said. When you are working in LR Mobile with images synced from your main catalog, you are actually working on smart previews (jpegs). You can't accurately preview sharpening on the smart preview. The newest Lightroom Mobile update allows you to import raw images directly into LR Mobile, assuming you have a large enough, and fast enough iPad for a true raw workflow. Eventually I expect to see the sharpen feature added to Mobile for the raw workflow only. That's just a guess though.

• 7. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would too expect it to get eventually added. I think a larger problem is the absence of camera matching profiles on mobile. It forces you to use the not very good Adobe Standard profiles. At least I haven't been able to find this setting.

• 8. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                        99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes. The only drawback at present is that raw photos have to be added to the Apple Photos App prior to import into Lightroom Mobile. This can't be bypassed at present, so more disk space is utilised on the device. But once photos are in LR Mobile the duplicates can be deleted from the Photos App.

• 9. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                          scotth51774914 Level 1

I understand the issue with smart previews being too low resolution to accurately determine whether a photo requires sharpening and being able to control the required level of sharpening. But say I wanted to use LR Mobile as a stand-alone app for editing my photos that have been saved onto my iPad using the camera connection kit or SD card reader, then saving edits into the Camera Roll, effectively bypassing my PC entirely. Then I would be working with full resolution RAW files on the iPad Pro. With its 2048 x 1536 resolution, 264ppi, 9.7" display, which features the same P3 colour gamut as the Retina 5k iMac display, so it's a gorgeous screen for doing 1:1 photo editing. The only exception to this is if you are working with panoramas. It's also no slouch in terms of performance with its new 64bit A9X processor. iCloud Photo Library deals with the storage issue, with 50gb costing £0.79.

I agree though that iOS needs a proper file management system though. Simply being able to create folders in the Camera Roll isn't good enough.

• 10. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?

As I pointed out before, the new ability to edit raw files is deliberately called a "technology preview". By the time enough people are editing raw files on newer faster mobile devices, I'm sure LrM will offer control over sharpening.

• 11. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                              chrisdm Level 1

Just came to this thread seeking an answer, very frustrating. I am on a remte job site showing client RAW files imported directly from camranger and tempting to show client the image potential by tweaking the raw files in LR Mobile, but with no sharpening applied she thinks that critical focus is missing. Fix this ASAP Adobe! LR Mobile should be a pro tool and that would mean the ability to properly adjust RAW files.

• 12. Re: No sharpening in LR Mobile?
                                Bob Somrak Level 5

Just use the full Lightroom on a laptop such as Microsoft Surface Pro or Macbook Air.