12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 10:36 AM by Ikrananka

Project Presets and 2560x1440p

Ikrananka Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 10 to edit and export footage that is imported and exported at a resolution of 2560x1440p and 60fps.  I have the export settings saved in a custom preset and these work great.

However, the project settings are locked in at 1920x1080p and 30fps due to the limited fixed project presets on offer when I first create a project.  Do these project settings affect anything when the footage I import doesn't match, i.e. is 2560x1440p?

• 1. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your movie will be based on your project settings, regardless of the source video you're loading into it.

You don't say which version of the program you're working with, but you can't create a project setting at that non-standard resolution. Your options are to create a project at 1920x1080 HD or at 3840x2160 4K. In either case, because your video does not fit into a 16:9 aspect ratio, it will appear in your project letterboxed, with black above and below it.

• 2. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
            Ikrananka Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.  Firstly, to clear a few things up, I'm using Premiere Elements version 10 (I did state this in my post) and my movie footage is in 16:9 (2560x1440), 60fps.

I have been starting using a project preset as close as I can get to my source footage, i.e. "DSLR 1080p30".  When I add my video footage to the project I do NOT get a warning that the media doesn't match the project settings and I get no black bars/letterboxing - despite the fact that the resolution is higher (but same aspect ratio) and the fps is 60 compared to 30 under project settings.  On the timeline it is clearly honoring the video media's 60fps, as it shows the correct duration. and is not using the project fps of 30fps.

So, under these circumstances what effect do the project settings have on my exported video?  As I said in my first post the export settings match the characteristics of the source footage, i.e. 2560x1440p (16:9), 60fps, square pixels etc.  Do the project settings cause the program to shrink my original footage to 1920x1080p and then enlarge it again upon export to 2560x1440p with a consequent loss of quality?

• 3. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p

Version 10 will not attempt to come up with a "best match" project setting for your video. So your video will be at whatever project project you selected when you set up your project. Your video, regardless of resolution and frame rate, will be conformed to those project settings.

In other words, if you set up your project for 1920x1080p30, those are the dimensions and frame rate your video will be conformed to. The best you can hope for is a 1920x1080p30 output.

If you create a custom output at a higher resolution, you'll merely over-rez your video and it will look blurry.

• 4. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
                Ikrananka Level 1

Thanks again Steve - I now understand that what I am trying to do is likely not achievable with Premiere Elements 10 (without loss of quality).  Before I close out this thread, could you help with just a few more questions so I can figure out how I move forward:

1.  I saw in this forum that it is possible (although difficult) to add new custom project presets.  So, if I were to correctly set one of these up with the settings I desire, i.e. 2560x1440p60, would this work or is it going beyond the project editing capabilities of Premiere Elements 10 ?

2.  If the above is not possible, then I will consider upgrading to Premiere Elements 14.  Does this latest version have the capability to setup the project settings to 2560x1440p60 for editing (my understanding is that the project settings are defined based on the first video added to the timeline) ?

Many thanks for all of your help.

• 5. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p

If there is a way to create a custom preset in version 10, it's a hack and not a documented process, so I know nothing about it.

That said, version 14 does have presets for 4K video 3840x2160 in addition to standard presets for 1920x1080. So it's still going to be  compromise.

I don't know what camcorder your 2560x1440 came from, but it's going to be a challenge working with a video with those specs on a consumer program. (If this is gaming video, you may have other challenges also -- like variable frame rates and unsupported codecs.)

You may need to step you to Premiere Pro CC to find the option to create a custom project setting.

• 6. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2560x1440 looks like a screen resolution.

• 7. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
                      Ikrananka Level 1

It is indeed a screen resolution.  I am editing videos from computer screen capture software.

• 8. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p

There you go.

• 9. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
                          Ikrananka Level 1

So, I managed to get a custom sequence preset for 2560x1440p60 saved from a friend who uses Premiere Pro.  With some minor editing of this xml file I managed to create a custom preset that conformed to Premiere Elements sequence presets.  This is a fairly short file and so I have copied the content below in case it is of use to others.

Note that I left the "PreviewVideoFrameSize" at 1920x1080 (Premiere Pro left it at this as well).  I believe this only affects the preview window and keeps the memory requirements down.  There seemed to be no benefit in increasing this value as I noticed no discernible difference in the quality of the preview video when I tested it at 2560x1440.

To use this custom preset, copy the bold text below to a plain text editor, such as notepad, and save the file to the following location. Note that you may have to adjust location based on your installed version(s) of Premiere Elements and your operating system.  You will also need to create the "Custom" directory if it doesn't already exist.

Custom preset file location : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\Settings\SequencePresets\NTSC\Custom

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PremiereData Version="3">

<SequencePreset ObjectRef="1"/>

<SequencePreset ObjectID="1" ClassID="5e73dd7e-4f86-4917-80eb-08ddb2f4a5f3" Version="2">

<PreviewVideoFrameSize>0,0,1920,1080</PreviewVideoFrameSize>

<InitialNumberOfFiveOneSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfFiveOneSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfStereoSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfStereoSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfMonoSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfMonoSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfFiveOneTracks>0</InitialNumberOfFiveOneTracks>

<InitialNumberOfStereoTracks>3</InitialNumberOfStereoTracks>

<InitialNumberOfMonoTracks>0</InitialNumberOfMonoTracks>

<InitialNumberOfVideoTracks>3</InitialNumberOfVideoTracks>

<VideoUseMaxRenderQuality>false</VideoUseMaxRenderQuality>

<VideoUseMaxBitDepth>false</VideoUseMaxBitDepth>

<VideoPixelAspectRatio>1,1</VideoPixelAspectRatio>

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>1297107278</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Win>I-Frame Only MPEG.epr</PreviewPresetFileName.Win>

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Mac>1297107278</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Mac>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Mac>I-Frame Only MPEG.epr</PreviewPresetFileName.Mac>

<EditingModeGUID.Win>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Win>

<EditingModeGUID.Mac>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Mac>

<Descriptions Version="1">

<DescriptionItem Version="1" Index="0">

<Second>For editing computer captured video recorded in 2560x1440 square pixels (non-anamorphic).&#13;&#10;16:9 Progressive HD video at 60 frames per second.&#13;&#10;48 kHz audio.</Second>

<First>en_US</First>

</DescriptionItem>

</Descriptions>

<Names Version="1">

<NameItem Version="1" Index="0">

<Second>Screen Capture 1440p60</Second>

<First>en_US</First>

</NameItem>

</Names>

<VideoFieldType>0</VideoFieldType>

<AudioTimeDisplay>200</AudioTimeDisplay>

<VideoTimeDisplay>108</VideoTimeDisplay>

<AudioChannelType>1</AudioChannelType>

<AudioFrameRate>5292000</AudioFrameRate>

<VideoFrameSize>0,0,2560,1440</VideoFrameSize>

<VideoFrameRate>4233600000</VideoFrameRate>

</SequencePreset>

</PremiereData>

A new "Custom" group will appear in the "Available Presets" with the above preset listed within it.

Note that the above uses a "Desktop" editing mode which is defined by the ClassID 5e73dd7e-4f86-4917-80eb-08ddb2f4a5f3 (again this was how Premiere Pro defined it).

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p

You can also copy a exciting project/sequence setting from the root and edit in notepad.

Save it under a different name and put it in a self made custom folder along all the other project/sequence settings.

• 11. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
                              Ikrananka Level 1

Thanks for the clarification Ann - that would be a lot simpler

• 12. Re: Project Presets and 2560x1440p
                                Ikrananka Level 1

Having had issues with rendering the timeline I have now modified my custom preset and this is what I am now using.

To use this custom preset, copy the bold text below to a plain text editor, such as notepad, and save the file to the following location. Note that you may have to adjust location based on your installed version(s) of Premiere Elements and your operating system.  You will also need to create the "Custom" directory if it doesn't already exist.

Custom preset file location : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\Settings\SequencePresets\NTSC\Custom

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PremiereData Version="3">

<SequencePreset ObjectRef="1"/>

<SequencePreset ObjectID="1" ClassID="5e73dd7e-4f86-4917-80eb-08ddb2f4a5f3" Version="2">

<PreviewVideoFrameSize>0,0,2560,1440</PreviewVideoFrameSize>

<InitialNumberOfFiveOneSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfFiveOneSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfStereoSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfStereoSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfMonoSubmixTracks>0</InitialNumberOfMonoSubmixTracks>

<InitialNumberOfFiveOneTracks>0</InitialNumberOfFiveOneTracks>

<InitialNumberOfStereoTracks>3</InitialNumberOfStereoTracks>

<InitialNumberOfMonoTracks>0</InitialNumberOfMonoTracks>

<InitialNumberOfVideoTracks>3</InitialNumberOfVideoTracks>

<VideoUseMaxRenderQuality>false</VideoUseMaxRenderQuality>

<VideoUseMaxBitDepth>false</VideoUseMaxBitDepth>

<VideoPixelAspectRatio>1,1</VideoPixelAspectRatio>

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>1129730893</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Win>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Win>Microsoft AVI</PreviewPresetFileName.Win>

<PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Mac>1835692082</PreviewPresetVideoCodec.Mac>

<PreviewPresetFileName.Mac>QuickTime</PreviewPresetFileName.Mac>

<EditingModeGUID.Win>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Win>

<EditingModeGUID.Mac>9678af98-a7b7-4bdb-b477-7ac9c8df4a4e</EditingModeGUID.Mac>

<Descriptions Version="1">

<DescriptionItem Version="1" Index="0">

<Second>For editing computer footage captured at 2560x1440 square pixels (non-anamorphic).&#13;&#10;16:9 Progressive HD video at 60 frames per second.&#13;&#10;48 kHz audio.</Second>

<First>en_US</First>

</DescriptionItem>

</Descriptions>

<Names Version="1">

<NameItem Version="1" Index="0">

<Second>Computer 1440p60</Second>

<First>en_US</First>

</NameItem>

</Names>

<VideoFieldType>0</VideoFieldType>

<AudioTimeDisplay>200</AudioTimeDisplay>

<VideoTimeDisplay>108</VideoTimeDisplay>

<AudioChannelType>1</AudioChannelType>

<AudioFrameRate>5292000</AudioFrameRate>

<VideoFrameSize>0,0,2560,1440</VideoFrameSize>

<VideoFrameRate>4233600000</VideoFrameRate>

</SequencePreset>

</PremiereData>

A new "Custom" group will appear in the "Available Presets" with the above preset listed within it.

Note that the above uses a "Desktop" editing mode which is defined by the ClassID 5e73dd7e-4f86-4917-80eb-08ddb2f4a5f3 (again this was how Premiere Pro defined it).