4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2006 5:35 AM by Newsgroup_User

LDM And Director2006

GRAMOPHONE
      I was just wondering when it will be the next version of Director.
      I would like to use LDM without all the problems that it involves now.
      What's the use of making a movie with all buttons and scripts to be used as a LDM if you have to change a lot of things
      that will not work, like button events...etc. most of the time this doesn't make any sense at all, because it's really hard
      to solve a problem that you don't even know what it is all about.
      It will be a great if the next generation of DIRECTOR has all these issues about LDM solved.
        • 1. Re: LDM And Director2006
          Level 7
          It will be great if there is any new version of Director. I'm optimistically
          skeptical. Scan up to 4/20 for more positive opinions.

What the heck is LDM? Maybe there's another way like ActiveX or FLASH!!!!

TR

"GRAMOPHONE" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e2rbjt$609$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I was just wondering when it will be the next version of Director.
          > I would like to use LDM without all the problems that it involves now.
          > What's the use of making a movie with all buttons and scripts to be used
          > as a
          > LDM if you have to change a lot of things
          > that will not work, like button events...etc. most of the time this
          > doesn't
          > make any sense at all, because it's really hard
          > to solve a problem that you don't even know what it is all about.
          > It will be a great if the next generation of DIRECTOR has all these issues
          > about LDM solved.
          >

• 2. Re: LDM And Director2006
            Level 7
            Linked Director Movies?

If that's it you should try using linked SWFs for now for the button or
            navigation panels. I've done it with several projects now and it works well.
            Also it you have to resize to different monitors the vector shapes scale
            nicely.

Tr

"tr" <timmr3-nospam-@excite.com> wrote in message
            news:e2rd8u$83l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > It will be great if there is any new version of Director. I'm
            > optimistically skeptical. Scan up to 4/20 for more positive opinions.
            >
            > What the heck is LDM? Maybe there's another way like ActiveX or FLASH!!!!
            >
            > TR
            >
            >
            > "GRAMOPHONE" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:e2rbjt$609$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >>I was just wondering when it will be the next version of Director.
            >> I would like to use LDM without all the problems that it involves now.
            >> What's the use of making a movie with all buttons and scripts to be used
            >> as a
            >> LDM if you have to change a lot of things
            >> that will not work, like button events...etc. most of the time this
            >> doesn't
            >> make any sense at all, because it's really hard
            >> to solve a problem that you don't even know what it is all about.
            >> It will be a great if the next generation of DIRECTOR has all these
            >> issues
            >> about LDM solved.
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. LDM And Director2006
              GRAMOPHONE Level 1
              LDM is Linked Director Movies...
              It is like a movie in a movie in FLASH. Only that in Flash it works great. In Director this is the most painful task and you end up frustrated and have to do your project as a BIG one movie or ugly MAIWS "Movies In A Window"
              • 4. Re: LDM And Director2006
                Level 7
                If you search through the Director help, and/or do a search on
                Macromedia's web site for loaded Director movie, you won't find one
                reference. There's a good reason for that. Using loaded Director movies,
                while possible in a limited sense, is not really a supported function in
                Director.

While it is possible to load in one Director movie into another and have
                some limited amount of functionality, as you've seen, the process
                doesn't really work well. I'm amazed that it works at all.

Director is a different application from Flash. While I've only been
                using Director for 22 years, I've never found a project that needed to
                have, or could benefit from, a loaded Director movie.

Trying to bend Director to work like Flash is not a good methodology.
                It's best to use Director as it was designed to be used. I use MIAWs all
                the time. They work very well for me.

Its entirely possible that LDMs will be expanded on and included in
                future versions of Director. I have no idea why though.

--
                Rob
                _______
                Rob Dillon
                Adobe Community Expert
                http://www.ddg-designs.com
                412-243-9119

http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/