12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 3:57 AM by nicolasnico

Tags don't show anymore

nicolasnico

Hi, I've been tagging pictures. Now, for some reasons, the tags don't show up anymore next to the tagged pictures. (Obviously, they are still here: if I search by tags, the picture show up in the search result).

Any idea what happened? I'd like to have my tags back. (I use Lightroom 5.7.1, Windows 7. I didn't tag for some time, did back up at the time. Pictures shouldn't have been moved, so that shouldn't be the issue. I use an external drive).

Thanks for any help!

Nicolas

• 1. Re: Tags don't show anymore
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you please post a screen-shot where exactly you are missing the tags?

• 2. Re: Tags don't show anymore
            nicolasnico Level 1

Hi, thanks for your message. Here are a printscreen. Should be tags in the window on the right-side. (This picture appears in the search result if I enter the location where it's been taken. But the location (and other tags) don't appear in that window now. lightroom - tags missing.jpg

• 3. Re: Tags don't show anymore

The image does not seem to carry any tags.

If you scroll down and look at the Keyword List, are there any keywords that carry a check mark on the left?

• 4. Re: Tags don't show anymore

Did you geo-tag the image with a geo-tagger or in the map module?

If yes, that's why. Geo-tagging does not crate a keyword, though.

• 5. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                  nicolasnico Level 1

thanks for your answer. The picture has been tagged for sure. First, I have written down carefully every folder in which all pictures have been tagged and this is one of them. And then, if I scroll down the Keyword List, let's say... for the location name for instance (Susamir), I have 72 pictures having been tagged with 'Susamir" that shows up, including the picture I sent you in the printscreen. I've checked with other pictures that have been tagged, and nothing shows up. So, it's tagged but for some reasons, the tags don't appear anymore in the "Keyword tags" window. (I REALLY hope the tags aren't gone. I have spent a LOT OF TIME tagging those pictures. Is there a way to get this back through a previous back up?) 

• 6. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                    nicolasnico Level 1

Regarding geo-tagging: I didn't use that tool. I've been entering tags manually, with my own selection of keywords (location, topic etc.). Thanks once more!

• 7. Re: Tags don't show anymore

How about my question regarding the check mark in the keyword list?

If the check-mark is there, the tag is there as well, just not shown above.

You may want to try to reset the preferences: How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? - The Lightroom Queen

Scroll down to the manual method for LR5 since the GUI came with LR6.

• 8. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                        nicolasnico Level 1

Thanks again! Regarding the check-mark in the keyword list, there's none. The marks comes only if I click select one keyword in the list and click on the little arrow (on the right) in order to see all pictures having that tag.

Now, I think I found one of the issues: LOCATION! I took one example picture that should have keywords (but not keyword appears in the WINDOW), I scrolled down the keyword LIST to find a word that might have been used to tag that same picture at the time (i.e.Tree), and... there it is! All pictures with trees show up in the search results, including the picture whose tags don't appear in the tags window. But now, the issue... : that example picture with missing tags is in two different LOCATIONS (in two different folders) !!!  (I had maybe done a back-up at the time, then I tagged the pictures in that back-up, and not in the second location...). Mama mia!

Thanks once more for your appreciated help!!!

PS: is there anyway that tags would be applied to other copies of a same picture wherever those copies are located? (synchronizing the tags?)

• 9. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"Sync" in the bottom right of the Library Module enables you so sync keywords on selected files.

Please use the term Keywords as Lightroom calls them.... thanks.

• 10. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately, Adobe itself uses "keyword", "tag", and "keyword tag" interchangeably, both as verbs and nouns:

- The Keywording panel uses "Keyword Tags"

- Right-clicking a keyword in the Keyword List panel has "Edit Keyword Tag".

- In the reference manual, there are many examples:

pg 84: Photos that contain that tag...

pg 113: Click the checkmark next to a tag guess...

pg 127: A check mark to the left of a keyword in the Keyword List panel indicates that the selected photo contains that tag.

pg 128: ...a minus sign to the left of a keyword indicates the tag is not shared by all selected photos.

pg 128: ...the keyword tag is not included.

pg 128: ...under a particular higher-level tag...

pg 128: ...a keyword tag in the Keyword List panel...

pg 129: ...the Keyword List panel updates to reflect the total number of photos that use the tag.

• 11. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                              is there anyway that tags would be applied to other copies of a same picture wherever those copies are located? (synchronizing the tags?)

Check out the Syncomatic plugin.

• 12. Re: Tags don't show anymore
                                nicolasnico Level 1

hey, thanks for suggesting Syncomatic plugin, I appreciate! (As far as I could see, it synchronizes only according to names and capture time. I guess for many it would sound enough to make sure the pictures that are considered as "matching" are really the same. I'd feel more safe if it would use some more datas to make sure the match is correct. If I use the Syncomatic plugin and for some reason, something goes wrong I can still upload a backup). Thanks once more, I appreciate!