13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 3:56 PM by IainKF

Moving masters to new NAS share

IainKF

Hi,

I've just made the jump from Aperture to Lightroom and though I'm now OK I made a mess of things initially. I'll try to be brief

• Imported from Aperture (using plugin extras option) about 27,000 pictures/videos. Catalog in Pictures folder on my MBP internal drive but with masters stored in a multimedia folder on my NAS.
      • Used the NAS photostation to index the masters so that my wife can see all the photos from her mac.
      • Having done this I realised that the NAS had included photos/music from other than the indicated folders on the NAS
      • I created a new shared folder on the NAS and moved the folder with the masters to it with a plan to get the photostation to re-index hopefully to get just the photos/videos that I wanted
      • The catalog then works fine but can't find the masters. That's when I messed up because I couldn't find an easy way to point the catalog to the new location of the masters. (There were thousands of folders by date so the 'find missing photos' option wasn't and I couldn't select all the folders and access this option.
      • In the end I just deleted everything and started again
      • I'm sure there must be an easy way to do what I wanted but I couldn't see how

BTW after you've imported from Aperture once the option is then greyed out and the only way I could find to get it to re-enable was to delete the lightroom startup preferences and then relaunch the app at which the option was then available again.

I'm sure I'm just being dense but I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Iain

• 1. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
          dj_paige Level 9

If lightroom can't find your photos, these instructions will show you how to fix the problem

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
            IainKF Level 1

Hi

thanks for this. I'd already found this page but had gone too far by just moving the masters rather than copying (I note your caution in this regard). It is much quicker to 'move' on a NAS (almost instant) whereas copying 140Gb of stuff takes and age, so I guess that's why I didn't copy (especially as I still had my original Aperture library to fall back on)

One question. I have no folder hierarchy in the folders tab. I just have a huge number of folders with dates. When Lr can find the originals I can select ALL of these folders and still have the "update folder location' option. Will Lr find all the folders under these circumstances if I point it to the new share location?

As I say I am now back on track but may subsequently want to move the masters and hope not to have the same issues at that time

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

Iain

• 3. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
              dj_paige Level 9

One question. I have no folder hierarchy in the folders tab. I just have a huge number of folders with dates. When Lr can find the originals I can select ALL of these folders and still have the "update folder location' option. Will Lr find all the folders under these circumstances if I point it to the new share location?

You select the parent folder of the "folders with dates" in Lightroom, and then perform Update Folder Location and point to the parent folder in the new location.

• 4. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                IainKF Level 1

Hi,

that's what I meant by 'no folder hierarchy'; there is no parent folder.

Now I've put the folders directly into the NAS shared folder with no enclosing folder but even with my last attempt (when the masters were in a folder called "lightroom masters' in a NAS shared folder, there was no 'enclosing folder'. I attach a screen shotno folder hierarchy.jpg

Cheers

Iain

• 5. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                  dj_paige Level 9

RIght click on 1940-06-26 and select "Show Parent"

• 6. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                    IainKF Level 1

Ok, done that.

there is now a folder called 06 that contains the folder that I clicked on  but the structure otherwise remains flat, so it looks like I'll need to show parent for each folder(?)

Cheers

Iain

• 7. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                      dj_paige Level 9

there is now a folder called 06 that contains the folder that I clicked on  but the structure otherwise remains flat, so it looks like I'll need to show parent for each folder(?)

Does each folder have it's own parent folder? Or is there only one parent folder for ALL subfolders?

Show us a screen capture of these folders as seen in your operating system.

• 8. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                        IainKF Level 1

There's only one parent for the one folder. However when I tried the same thing on a folder below, the parent folder had the same name, (06).

Cheers

Iain

• 9. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                          IainKF Level 1

Sorry to be clear, the first folder showed a parent '06' when I 'showed parent' for the folder below I got another parent (just for the second folder) also called '06'

• 10. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                            dj_paige Level 9

Screen captures of these folders would be extremely helpful.

• How it appears in Lightroom
                            • How it appears in your operating system
                            • 11. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                              IainKF Level 1

OK,

Just anxious about doing something that I can't undo!

Will do it tomorrow

Cheers

Iain

PS and thanks for your ongoing help

• 12. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                                IainKF Level 1

Was going to get back to you but now I find that all the folders have lost their originals again.

I've made some changes to the NAS shares but NOT done anything to the share with the Lightroom masters on.

Grrrrr.

Guess I'll have to start again, again

Cheers

Iain

• 13. Re: Moving masters to new NAS share
                                  IainKF Level 1

OK, I may be getting somewhere.

I think it may be to do with the NAS 'sleeping' a share.

I tried with a smaller Aperture library. Imported it to the NAS (with catalog on Mac). Everything appeared OK. Ejected the share and LR then says file not found.

Remounted the share and went into the folder hierarchy in the Finder.

Re-launched Lightroom and files now found. Not quite the same as moving the Lightroom masters but a step forward.

Also went through the 'show parent folder' repeatedly and began to see what was going on. The '06' was the name of a subfolder and when I showed the parent folder of that I began to see what was going on. Hopefully if I do need to move the whole library again I'll be able to 'point' the catalog to the files OK. Then again by the time I do that I'll probably have forgotten about this...

Cheers

Iain