11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 10:01 AM by johnrellis

Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com

dbpetry

I shot some photos with my iPhone and had it imported to Lightroom Mobile. They are now synced, visible and editable at lightroom.adobe.com

I opened up my desktop Lightroom and requested it to sync, so I get this message:

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.44.01 AM.png

I don't have that catalog anymore, it was deleted.

I asked @AdobeCare (at twitter) and got this response:

"If the file is synced & you can see on adobe.ly/1XkPgdF it will re-sync for you. ~MD".

If I do it as they said, I'm taken to lightroom.adobe.com and asked to delete the photos:

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.28.12 AM.png

But remember: I want to download those photos to my Lightroom Desktop, (or to my computer, or whatever).

I can't sync unless I delete the photos first.

I can't delete the photos because I can't retrieve them.

There's no option to "download it all", not even a "select all" to allow me to share the photos.

How can I get my photos from lightroom.adobe.com if Lightroom Desktop won't allow me to sync?

• 1. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Synchronized photos should already be in folders on your hard drive but if you deleted the catalog you won’t be able to find the file path in the LR Library.

Try searching your computer for one or more of the file names and then check the file info/properties to find its location. For example, on my system the photos are located in a folder named Mobile Downloads.lrdata

C:\Users\99jon\Pictures\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata

• 2. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
            dbpetry Level 1

Hi John.

I appreciate your response and it does seems like a possible solution, but not in this case. Going through your proposition I'm able to imagine that those files and folders would only exist in my desktop if I had previously opened Lightroom Desktop and synced Adobe's Cloud data to the computer, which I hadn't.

I had Lightroom on the desktop installed and enabled LR Mobile sync, at this time nothing was synced, it was just enabled, I was testing the computer, no photos were imported to Lightroom. A few days later my computer was stolen.

Later I synced photos from Lightroom Mobile on my phone to Adobe Cloud. When I go to lightroom.adobe.com I can see my photos, so we know they're there. Now I need to sync the Adobe Cloud to the (new) Desktop considering I don't have a catalog and just made a fresh install of Lightroom.

Is it impossible to download my photos from lightroom.adobe.com or to sync the photos that are in Adobe's Server with a new install?

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com

In that case the only suggestion is to try starting a new catalog:

File >> New Catalog

Name it Lightroom Catalog and when the empty catalog launches hover over the identity plate (top left) and click the drop-down icon to go to the Activity Center.

Try starting sync from there.

• 4. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
                dbpetry Level 1

I tried it again, it goes back to the original issue, same message: "You can only sync a single Lightroom catalog...".

I guess there's no way to copy images from Adobe's Lightroom Mobile cloud without the original catalog, if possible I would like to suggest it as a feature of lightroom.adobe.com to have "download all" and "download selected" buttons.

• 5. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com

Do you have a backup of the original catalog. They are often made each time you quit LR.

If so, find the last one, unzip and double-click on Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

• 6. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can log into your lightroom.adobe.com account and download JPEGs. One by one, unfortunately. Maybe you can email yourself more images from the mobile app?

• 7. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
                      johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                      If possible I would like to suggest it as a feature of lightroom.adobe.com to have "download all" and "download selected" buttons.

In the June update, it became possible, though a little inconvenient, to download all of your photos from LR Web in a single .zip, much faster than downloading each one individually:

1. In LR Web, create a collection All Photos.

2. For each collection you want to download, go to that collection.

3. Hover the mouse over the first thumbnail in the collection and click the check mark in the upper-right corner.

4. Hover over last thumbnail in the collection and shift-click the check mark in the upper-right corner.  Now all the photos in the collection are selected.

5. In the command bar at the top of the grid, click Copy To, select An Existing Collection, All Photos, then click Copy.

6. When you've added all collections to All Photos, select that collection.

7. Click Shared in the command bar at the top of the grid, select the Shared option, and check Options > Allow Downloads.

8. Click the sharing link that starts with http://adobe.ly/:

9. You're now viewing the shared All Photos collection. Click Download in the upper-right corner.

• 8. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com

That seems to work - well spotted!

• 9. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
                          dbpetry Level 1

Thank you johnrellis, that worked. Selecting all the photos was not that simple since some photos only loaded after scrolling, but in the end it was possible. I did it in smaller batches (500 photos per batch) to make it easier.

Yet here's my twi cents on the current state of Lightroom:

1. I find it hard to believe that there's no way to directly from LR Mobile to LR Desktop, skipping the Adobe Cloud and avoiding huge and unnecessary transfers of data, that would be beneficial for users and Adobe alike.
                          2. It should be possible to sync LR Cloud with a new catalog (or even multiple catalogs). With the latest LR Mobile being able to import RAW directly, mobile first workflows will become more and more common.

I don't know if this is the right place to make suggestions, but here they are.

• 10. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com

One little twist is that the download only generates JPEGs. So you're out of luck if you are trying to recover videos or raw files or other file types that might have been uploaded via the browser or mobile device.

• 11. Re: Recover photos from lightroom.adobe.com
                              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                              I don't know if this is the right place to make suggestions, but here they are.

Adobe wants all suggestions and feedback to be posted in the official Adobe feedback forum: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community. Product developers actively participate in that forum but are rarely seen here (a user-to-user forum).