6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 6:47 AM by BobLevine

Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10

Kenneth C. Benson Level 4

So I wiped my Windows 7 machine and updated Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now I'm in the process of reinstalling everything. I have versions of Indesign going back to version 1, but I'm only installing beginning with CS4. So I began with CS4 and CS5, and I installed Q2ID version 5 (actually version 5.21), which is supposed to cover both CS4 and CS5. I have newer versions of Indesign, but I'd like to get these two working properly before I move to the newer versions.

Both IDCS4 and CS5 crash (errors below). Restarting does not fix the problem. After uninstalling Q2ID, both versions of Indesign work fine again.

cs4error.png

cs5error.png

Markzware has tried but has not been able to help me fix this. So I'm wondering: Has anyone else managed to make Q2ID version 5 work with either IDCS4 or CS5 under Windows 10? It worked fine with both on Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

None of the above software is supported on Windows 10. While there might be some way of getting it all working, the only thing I can think of is to run it all under Windows 7 compatibility.

• 2. Re: Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10

BTW, for help with Q2ID you really should check with Markzware. Their support is excellent.

• 3. Re: Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10

Right, I understand these programs were written before Windows 10. That said, none of my old programs that I had running on Windows 7 (except for Q2ID) won't also run on Windows 10 (and some of them are very old). Windows 7 compatibility doesn't change anything. And of course I asked Markzware first. I've been working with them for about a month. The question they won't answer is the same (and only) question I asked above in this post:

Has anyone else got this working?

BTW, Q2ID version 4 works fine with IDCS4. Version 4 was a simple .apln that you drop into the filters folder. Version 5 is an executable installer, and something is going wrong with activation.

• 4. Re: Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is this installed through the Extension Manager with a .zxp file? If so ask Markzware if there is a way to manually extract the files and install them. We had a similar problem at PrintUI with our management panel in CC 2014 on Windows and worked out a set of instructions for extracting the files and where to put them for our users until Harbs created native installers.

• 5. Re: Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10

Thanks, Peter. No, Q2ID version 5 is a .exe. Although it crashes Indesign after executing the installable, it does leave a .apln file in a subdirectory of the filters folder. This is removed when uninstalling Q2ID. One of the things I have already tried is to copy the .apln file (along with supporting .idrc files) before uninstalling, then manually put them back. This results in an error message about unrecognized plugins.

The truth is, I don't actually know for sure that any of this would even work on Windows 7 today. I installed Q2ID v5 six years ago, and it may be that Markzware's server is no longer properly activating the software but somehow they are not able to tell me that. At this point I've been through several activation keys with them.

I'm close to giving up on this. No one's bringing me Quark files these days anyway. Just thought I'd try the Indesign Forum one last time, as I've often solved unsolvable problems here.

• 6. Re: Q2ID crashes IDCS4, IDCS5 on Windows 10

I wouldn’t kill myself on this. Even if you got a Quark file now it would likely be in a much later version and you’d need a newer version of Q2ID anyway.