9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 2:37 PM by Kevin-Monahan

PC Hardware not being fully utilized

bwhite94

First of all, let me admit I am pretty new with Premiere Pro. My technical knowledge however is not as new. I've been doing some testing with some new hardware and have found that it appears to be not fully utilized. I am curious if I have something misconfigured, or if it is just a Premiere limitation.

My Hardware

• i7-6800k (6 cores/12 threads) @ 4.0GHz [Hyperthreading enabled]
      • 16GB of DDR4-3000 RAM [Dual channel]
      • msi GTX680 w/ 2GB GDDR5 Memory (somewhat outdated -- I know)
      • C:\ Drive Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • G:\ Drive (scratch disks and media) -- Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive (~2.5GBps Read/1.5GBps Write)
      • D:\ Drive Seagate 1TB HDD for extra storage
      • Z:\ Drive 60GB SSD (Sata 6Gbps)

I am rendering video shot from a GoPro Hero 3 at 1080p30 and have found that only 15-20% of my CPU is used while rendering.

Here are my scratch disk settings:

K9EL0pW.png

Effects settings:

E7pLyzW.png

Should rendering a preview for a 26 second long video with literally only Lens Distortion correction take ~7 minutes to render? If so, could someone explain why only 15-20% of my CPU is being used while rendering?

Example with Warp Stabilizer and Lens Distortion Correction:

zWpPt3n.png

• 1. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bill Gehrke is really the expert on these things, and 'hangs more' on the Hardware forum than here, though he typically responds when I 'ping' him like that.

Neil

• 2. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well with (evidently) GoPro media which need Lens Distortion effect not being my needs I really do not have any idea especially when you add another CPU intensive effect Warp Stabilization that really leaves me in the dark.  Let me think on this one and maybe experiment a bit, I do have a bit ot 4K GoPro footage that I will run on my x99 system to try to find some clues.  I basically only deal in editing on tripod mounted 1080 AVCHD and 4K  XAVC-S media.

• 3. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi bwhite,

it appears to be not fully utilized. I am curious if I have something misconfigured, or if it is just a Premiere limitation

I wonder what others are experiencing CPU performance wise with rendering similar effects with this footage. Anyone?

This may or may not be the case, but typically when a customer asks, "why isn't my hardware fully being optimized?" there are a lot of potential reasons for readings which may be unexpected. To simplify, this is usually because different codecs respond to rendering and encoding performance in different ways. Some push full use of the CPU, while others only take 30%. While customers expect 100% CPU usage at all times, it can't be the case every time.

The reason that your footage takes a long time to render, in general, is that you're using a couple of computationally intensive effects, one of which is not GPU accelerated. You are also rendering to a different codec than the source footage, both of which are not "smart render" codecs.

With smart rendering, if you transcode your GoPro footage up front to DNxHD and render to DNxHD, you may have better performance in the timeline, faster renders, and faster encodes. Just a couple of suggestions.

Regards,
              Kevin

• 4. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
                bwhite94 Level 1

Oh my goodness. Transcoding the media to DNxHD made a load of a difference. I used Adobe Media Encoder to "Watch" a folder and it made it practically seamless. I dropped the files to transcode, waited a few minutes, and voilà — media was ready to go. Rendering the same clip preview (from in to out) with Warp Stabilizer enabled takes approximately 10 seconds. This is much more like what I was expecting. Also this produces a 100% CPU usage.

Of course, adding Lens Distortion Correction drops the usage much lower. This is understandable considering we are dealing with, as you said, much more intensive calculations.

Thanks for your recommendations!

• 5. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
                  RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

premiere should always be close to 90-100%, unless there is a hardware bottleneck (which your system doesn't appear to have).

if you find any effect (like lens distortion) or function (like rendering previews) is preventing premiere from using 90-100% cpu usage regardless of the media format, then there is a problem with that effect or function. if some effect is more cpu demanding (more intensive calculations), then its even more important its functioning properly to use 90-100% cpu usage and avoid a software bottleneck causing low cpu usage.

since you have 100% usage with dnxhd, it appears mp4 footage or your gopro hero 3 footage might be tripping up premiere. if you have other mp4/h264 footage or files to test, you could check if its just the gopro hero 3 footage or all mp4 files having issues. the problem might be a combination of mp4 or gopro hero 3 with certain effects. transcoding is a work-around, but you may want to also submit a bug report about which media and effects cause the low cpu usage to have adobe fix it.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
                    bwhite94 Level 1

That's the concern I had. Why would it not be using a large majority of the CPU if in fact it is processor intensive calculations. I submitted a bug report as I tested other MP4 files with the same issue.

• 7. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
                      R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Good to test and post the bug/feature for the results. Some of the mov & mp4 stuff doesn't work nearly as well in the Lumetri as say, DNxHD or Cineform also. Which I've posted about. It's all the sort of thing that helps the teams make better stuff for us to use ...

Neil

• 8. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
                        RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

Some of the mov & mp4 stuff doesn't work nearly as well in the Lumetri as say, DNxHD or Cineform also. Which I've posted about. It's all the sort of thing that helps the teams make better stuff for us to use ...

there will always be some performance penalty with mp4/h264, its the nature of delivery codec's that were never suppose to be used for recording or editing. so the overhead (latency and extra cpu usage) with mp4/h264 is far greater than dnxhd or cineform and adobe can't fix that. that doesn't mean it should have lower cpu usage like in the first post of this thread. premiere being unable to max out cpu usage is a different issue vs delivery codec decoding overhead.

• 9. Re: PC Hardware not being fully utilized
                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee
                          • premiere being unable to max out cpu usage is a different issue vs delivery codec decoding overhead.
                          • premiere should always be close to 90-100%, unless there is a hardware bottleneck (which your system doesn't appear to have).

Thanks for clarifying this issue much better than I could. I hope we can find the problem going on here. Thanks to bhwhite for filing the bug.

Regards,

Kevin