7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 5:22 AM by jasonvp
      • 1. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
        ace41studios Level 1

Finally I can run just one card and free up these extra PCIE lanes for more NVME and Thunderbolt.

• 2. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
          JFPhoton Level 3

.....fer 1200 bucks and 350 watts...

• 3. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
            garethm69160939 Level 1

I'm a big fan of Nvidia cards (although sent my 1080 back as it died) so this looks tempting.

out of interest, for those who know a lot more than me - what are your thoughts on Nvidia's new Titan vrs a Radeon Pro Duo

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-pro-duo

for use with Premiere and AE - thoughts?

cheers

Gareth

• 4. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if cuda isn't required with other software, the amd card(s) may be a valid option for some systems. it just depends on the software being used, if it works better with amd or nvidia. some software programs/plugins won't work with two gpu's, so they won't fully make use of the amd pro duo (dual gpu). some software needs the alot of gpu memory, 12gb+ like on the titans. so the 4gb for each gpu on the amd pro duo would rule it out for those programs.

for now, any high end gpu is overkill for AE and i don't know if AE supports multiple gpu's.

for premiere, amd cards usually have a handicap and don't perform as well as they should/could. so for now nvidia cards are still preferred. adobe usually doesn't give notice on new features or updates, so its anyone's guess if/when adobe will optimize their code for amd cards. premiere doesn't need alot of vram and can use multiple gpu's, so its possible the amd pro duo would work ok for premiere. it wouldn't make sense to pick the amd pro duo just for premiere, as it would be much cheaper for a single gtx 1070 or 1080, which would be plenty for most premiere projects.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
                Averdahl Level 3

I bought the Titan X (Pascal) and replaced my GTX 980. The Titan X blew the GTX 980 away and is a truly fantastic card. I did some testrenders and rendered out timelines to QuickTime, CineForm and those are the results i got:

GTX 980

1 hour 4K scaled down to 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1852 Seconds

1 hour 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1929 Seconds

Titan X Pascal

1 hour 4K scaled down to 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1044 Seconds

1 hour 1080, Lumetri Color added: 1080 Seconds

• 6. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
                  jasonvp Level 3

I'm playing around on the bleeding edge and I just got cut.  These arrived earlier this week.  They have to stay in their pretty nVidia boxes on the counter and taunt me because: there aren't any water cooling blocks available for them yet.  ETA for those: sometime around the end of August or early Sept.

Dammit.

titanx.jpg

• 7. Re: New Titan X means 1080 is now in 2nd place
                    jasonvp Level 3

EK water blocks and backplates installed on both cards.  I had to buy EVGA's High Bandwidth SLI bridge, because the silly OEM NVidia one conflicts physically with the EK block.  Both cards are in and working fine, though NVidia's driver for Win10 requires build 1151 or newer.

I haven't done any work in Pr yet, as my time's been a bit limited.  In games, the frame rate I'm getting with these cards is are just... obnoxiously high.  Even at 3440x1440 with all detail cranked to "11", they're barely breaking a sweat.  I did briefly overclock them with MSI's Afterburner to +200/+500.  That seemed to be somewhat stable, but I was slamming into the voltage limit.  Afterburner can't unlock the overvoltage on NVidia-branded cards for some reason.  EVGA's Precision X can, but it doesn't yet support the GP102 GPUs.  So, until Precision X works, I've backed off the overclock; I don't much care for Afterburner anyway.