4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 11:22 PM by Rick Gerard

import with go pro 120 fps slow motion mac os

senturin92

Hello, faced such problem. I made a video on go Pro 720p 120 fps my system is Mac OS El Capitan quicktime 10. When you run qucik time automatically sets the scale to select the interval of slow motion. When you import a Adobe Effects it plays the same in slow motion. The file to edit normally, like quick time automatically puts slow motion as the original file. I called Apple tech support this decision were not provided, the Only solution is to remove the small range of frames that is 60 frames per second.

How to make adobe after effects was not picked up by setting quick time and took the original video?

• 1. Re: import with go pro 120 fps slow motion mac os
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

If all the video is there, it's easy: conform the frame rate.  Go File>Interpret>Main, and change the frame rate.  North America, 29.97 is good, for Europe, 25 is good.

The lower the frame rate, the slower the motion.

• 2. Re: import with go pro 120 fps slow motion mac os
            senturin92 Level 1

you do not understand, the problem is that quick time the machine sees the files at 120 fps in slow mo and convert them for yourself.

See the dial under playback time. This scale indicates the interval of slow mo like the iPhone. Settings quick time not to clean.

Снимок экрана 2016-07-22 в 20.14.16.png

• 3. Re: import with go pro 120 fps slow motion mac os
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE cannot do anything with this meta data. It only sees the discrete frames and the start and end markers stored in the file. Anything else will have to be done manualyl using time-remapping and setting the correct footage interpretation.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: import with go pro 120 fps slow motion mac os
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most newbies don't understand slow mo and frame rates at all. I have shot footage from 1 frame every half hour to 20,000 frames per second.

Here's the deal. If you shoot 120fps with your GoPro and you want it to playback in real time you either have to skip some frames or find a device that will playback full sized video at 120 fps - and not many of those devices exist. If you want to playback in slow motion then you playback your footage at a normal frame rate. Let's say your film is going to be NTSC standard 29.97 (nearly 30) frames per second. AE will probably interpret your footage as something other than 120 fps. The maximum interpreted frame rate for AE is 99 fps. This may sound like a limitation but it is not. I have processed a fair amount of forensic footage shot at 20,000 fps in AE to show how wing spars break and hydraulic lines fail. The trick is that we wanted the footage to playback slowly so we could see what is going on. My solution, set the footage interpretation to 29.97 fps. If you interpret your 120 fps GoPro footage at 29.97 fps and then drop it in a standard 29.97 fps comp 1 second in real time will take 4 seconds to play back. 120/30 = 4.

If you have a need to have the footage playback in real time then you keep the interpretation at 29.97 fps and speed up the playback using any of the methods available in AE. If you choose time remapping then you'll get a keyframe at the head and tail of the shot. Let's say your shot in slow motion took 8 seconds to playback. To make it playback in real time you simply do the math and move the last keyframe to the 2 second mark. Now the 2 seconds of real time take 2 seconds to play back.

I hope this helps. As long as you understand frame rates, interpretation and playback frame rates you can handle any footage at any frame rate. You just have to do the math.