23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 9:30 AM by trshaner

LR slow down

dc99366833 Level 1

Hi,

LR CC slow down more and more in the "developing" window when I had modifications (local, filters, lens correction...) till getting totally unusable (because tooooo slow).

I use a very recent mac with core i5, 3,3 ghz, 8 GB ram, fusion drive disc, AMD radeon card 4GB.

I use xmp files.

I did all the advices from adobe (cache memory up to 80gb, dynamic view, better video card...).

Is somebody able to help?

Sorry for my english...

Didier

• 1. Re: LR slow down
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Didier,

Please follow the steps below.

• Uncheck the option "Use Graphics Processor" in Preferences>>Performance

Image result for lightroom gpu

• Optimize your Lr Catalog from File>>Optimize catalog.

Also refer to other options here https://helpx-internal.corp.adobe.com/content/help/en/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-li ghtroom.html 

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LR slow down
            dc99366833 Level 1

Thanks for your answer. I tried all that but it is still the same, it is even slower without the graphic processor.

It works well at the beginning with a new photo and it is getting worst when I had local corrections, filters and so on...

• 3. Re: LR slow down
              Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Try creating a new catalog and check.

~Akash

• 4. Re: LR slow down
                dj_paige Level 9

Akash Sharma wrote:

Try creating a new catalog and check.

Don't bother doing this.

Your slowdown is because there is a known problem in Lightroom that if you do a lot of brushing and/or spot healing on a photo, Lightroom will get slower and slower as you add more and more brushing and/or spot healing.

The possible solutions are (in no particular order)

• Turn off the Graphics Processor acceleration
                • Do the brushing and spot healing as the next to last step in editing and then as the last step, turn on Lens Corrections and Transform, if desired
                • Do the brushing and spot healing in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements
                • Get a much faster CPU
                • 5. Re: LR slow down
                  dc99366833 Level 1

OK, thank you for your answers. So you mean that Lightroom is not able to handle many brushings and spot healing?

The only serious solution would be to do it on camera raw on photoshop but I will lost the possibility of further modifications no? I'm not using PS so I don't know.

I mean if I want to come back next week to a special brush spot to change something on it, it will be impossible. Am i wrong?

• 6. Re: LR slow down
                    dj_paige Level 9

dc99366833 wrote:

So you mean that Lightroom is not able to handle many brushings and spot healing?

Lihgtroom with a really really fast CPU probably can handle it, but it depends on a lot of things. I also suggested a different workflow which ought to help regardless of your CPU.

The only serious solution would be to do it on camera raw on photoshop

ACR in Photoshop will not be any better. You can use the Photoshop editor and this will be lightning fast.

but I will lost the possibility of further modifications no?

You can always do additional modifications. If you use the Photoshop Editor, you could do the brushing in layers so you could turn off the brushing it you wanted.

I mean if I want to come back next week to a special brush spot to change something on it, it will be impossible. Am i wrong?

If I understand you properly, you could not go back and change brushing settings once you edit in Photoshop.

• 7. Re: LR slow down
                      dc99366833 Level 1

my CPU is a core i5 3,3 ghz.

Which workflow do you suggest to improve the speed on LR?

• 8. Re: LR slow down
                        dj_paige Level 9

Please see my 2nd bullet item

• 9. Re: LR slow down
                          dc99366833 Level 1

Yes, I saw, but it is the workflow I already use (brushing at the end and lens correction as the final step), but it does not help a lot as 90% of my work is brushing, filters and local adjustments (the oval one...). To give you an idea I can do something like 5-10 brush, 5-10 "oval" filter (don't know the english name, sorry :-)) and 2 graduated filters.

When I want to open a photo already post processed on LR, it takes 1'30" to see it clear!... And if I want just to change the temperature for exemple (which I notice is a slow processing) it takes some 35" more. So better to say that I can't use it anymore... Is that normal or something else is wrong?

• 10. Re: LR slow down
                            dj_paige Level 9

Given your hardware and workflow (90% brushing), Lightroom is not a good choice. It would be a great choice with different hardware and/or different workflow.

• 11. Re: LR slow down
                              dc99366833 Level 1

What would you advice?

• 12. Re: LR slow down
                                dj_paige Level 9

I already provided advice earlier

• 13. Re: LR slow down
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of LR are you using? There is a known memory leak in LR 6.6 or CC 2015.6. To verify if this is causing the slow-down close LR, relaunch LR, and then continue editing an image file that was operating slow. If LR now behaves normally then you have the memory leak issue. If not then your issue is as desricribed.

If it appears you have the memory leak issue try rolling back to 6.5.1 or CC 2015.5.1 as outlined here:

Lightroom roll back to prior update version

• 14. Re: LR slow down
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest the same thing LR 2015.6/6.6 on my much faster machine crawls with local adjustments. 2015.5.1 while no speed demon when brushing was at least usable. this broke in 2015.6 and no amount of turning off gpu, using a fresh catalog or whatever helps. Only going back to 2015.5 works. I really like the new guided upright so I am in a bit of a bind in that respect currently.

• 15. Re: LR slow down
                                      Samoreen Level 2

dc99366833 wrote:

OK, thank you for your answers. So you mean that Lightroom is not able to handle many brushings and spot healing?

Didier,

Beside the current problem with memory management in LR CC 2015.6 / LR 6.6, which may or may not affect the behavior of the local adjustment tool (for me, it does), you should read this page : doonster: Pictures & thoughts: Lightroom tip: selective masking . It's old but still valid.

I have complemented and adapted this information and published it to the following forum message : Aide, lenteur et utilisation intensive processeur par LR (I guess you can read french :-)  ). This is a thread about the memory problems in LR CC 2015.6 and a discussion about its possible impact on the adjustment tool.

Both pages provide recommendations about how to use the adjustment tool in order to compensate for its inherent slowness. They also explain why and how this tool can become slow.

Hope this helps.

• 16. Re: LR slow down
                                        dc99366833 Level 1

The problem starts before LR 6.6.

It started with LR 6. Then Abode advices to switch to LR CC to solve this problem, what I did, but it didn't help.

• 17. Re: LR slow down
                                          dc99366833 Level 1

Hello Samoreen,

Thank you for these precious informations, very interesting! I read your article, which even in french is quite "technical", but I think the topic is so, and it allowed me to understand the origine of the speed problem, and it fits exactly what I can note during my post processing on LR.

So the real solution (apart of using much less the brushing in LR (or in a specific way)) would be to do a part of the post processing on PS... which I don't actually use...

Some more questions :

- what if I delete some brushing points on photos I have already processed and that are "heavy" to redo them in the way you said (more simple let's say)? Will that make the whole picture lighter or just added more "lines" on xmp?

- what you discribe for brushing is also true for "radial filter" or other tools?

- which consequence if not using xmp?

- is there a solution to make the xmp files lighter? (select the informations to remember for example)

• 18. Re: LR slow down
                                            Samoreen Level 2

dc99366833 wrote:

- what if I delete some brushing points on photos I have already processed and that are "heavy" to redo them in the way you said (more simple let's say)? Will that make the whole picture lighter or just added more "lines" on xmp?

If you delete an adjustment brush anchor point, all the corresponding lines in the XMP and the metadata will be deleted. So things should get faster again.

- what you describe for brushing is also true for "radial filter" or other tools?

No. Radial filter and gradient filter are not described with a set of points but globally.

- which consequence if not using xmp?

It depends on your system configuration. The more powerful your CPU is, the less impact the automatic XMP update will have. If you don't generate XMPs automatically, you can still generate them "after the fact" (select image and Ctrl-S). Not generating the XMPs at all wouldn't be a good idea. These files are a very useful complementary backup of your settings in case you lose your catalog and have no (or a too old) catalog backup.

- is there a solution to make the xmp files lighter? (select the informations to remember for example)

None that I'm aware of. If had not promised to my wife to no longer spend time coding, I would already have written a utility that analyzes the contents of a XMP with mask and optimizes it. This shouldn't be to difficult to write. So, it's possible to write such a utility. My opinion is that this should be built-in in Lightroom and Camera RAW. Its obvious that the masking technique of LR has reached its limits and I'm wondering why nobody at Adobe is paying attention to these problems which are known since version 1. There are other techniques for masking in a RAW processor (e.g. in LightZone) and Adobe should think about replacing the one they are using.

• 19. Re: LR slow down
                                              dc99366833 Level 1

Thank you for your detailed answer.

So the answer to all that would be to do all post processing on LR and switch to PS only for brushings... And learn how to use PS!!! What I precisely wanted to avoid as it's know to be probably the most powerful photo processor but unfortunately not the most easy to learn...

It is a pity that Adobe don't take under consideration this speed problem as it seems to affect many people!

Professionals sometimes comment on 500px or Flickr that they spent 10 hours to process a photo... no chance to do that on LR!

Thank you anyway for your advices, it will help. If you have better solution (than learning PS), please let me know....

Which tool I need to use to use on PS to provide the same brushing than LR?

• 20. Re: LR slow down
                                                Samoreen Level 2

The very nature of RAW processors doesn't allow them to perform well when retouching images (I mean locally). That's why PS can help. For retouching tasks, PS is not that difficult to learn.

However, local adjustments in LR/Camera RAW could certainly be optimized. I do not observe much progress in that area. Rather, there's some regression. A tool like the Spot Removal tool is now giving disappointing results much too often (automatic source selection totally off most of the time).

• 21. Re: LR slow down
                                                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So the answer to all that would be to do all post processing on LR and switch to PS only for brushings... And learn how to use PS!!! What I precisely wanted to avoid as it's know to be probably the most powerful photo processor but unfortunately not the most easy to learn...

I would not say that. I do a lot of brushing in Lightroom and generally this works fine. My main editing machine is a 2 generations ago Mac Book Pro retina hooked up to a nice big screen if I am not traveling. This works fine as long as I don't go overboard with brushes and spot healing (the combination of those seems to be a problem). I rarely use the auto masking which is a major source of slowdown for people. I know very well how to do the same thing in Photoshop using adjustment layers and such, but still prefer to do it in Lightroom as I don't like my files all ballooning to many 100's of MBs even with the brush sometimes lagging. The ballooning of file size is the main reason I stay in Lightroom for almost all my images. The slowness is not consistent and I have seen people (I teach Lightroom classes once in a while and see LR on lots of different machines because of that) with incredibly slow brushing on machines that should be much faster than mine and seen lowly machines that fly. This inconsistent behavior is quite frustrating indeed.

It is a pity that Adobe don't take under consideration this speed problem as it seems to affect many people!

Professionals sometimes comment on 500px or Flickr that they spent 10 hours to process a photo... no chance to do that on LR!

The reason they spend so much time is probably because of Lightroom ;-)

Which tool I need to use to use on PS to provide the same brushing than LR?

To get the same sort of effects it depends highly on what you are trying to do. If you're doing exposure adjustments, the best thing is to do a curves adjustment layer and paint using the standard paintbrush in the mask. If you're doing sharpening or softening, you can use the mask on a smart object that you set to sharpen or gaussian blur and paint in the mask. There are loads of tutorials on how to non-destructively edit in Photoshop. Here is one quick one I found at the top of a google search: http://digital-photography-school.com/burning-dodging-with-adjustment-layers-and-masks/ . One of the truisms about photoshop is that there are as many ways of doing the same thing as there are users of the program, so here are three ways to do this same thing explained: https://photofocus.com/2014/06/13/three-techniques-you-can-use-to-dodge-burn-in-photoshop/

2 people found this helpful
                                                  • 22. Re: LR slow down
                                                    dc99366833 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. It confirms the opinion of Samoreen about brushes and local healings.

I think I will have to learn a bit about PS to do my brushes...

• 23. Re: LR slow down
                                                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Samoreen wrote:

The very nature of RAW processors doesn't allow them to perform well when retouching images (I mean locally).

To speed-up the Adjustment brush try turning off the GPU and setting Lens Corrections> Distortion to 0 in both the Profile and Manual tabs.

My 2011 Windows 7 system with i7-860 processor, 2560x1440 monitor, and low-end Quadro 600 graphics card works fairly well with 21 Mp CR2 files. With GPU enabled the Basic panel controls have no lag, but the local Adjustment brush has lag. With 'Use Graphics Processor' unselected the Adjustment brush has almost no lag, but the Basic panel controls have noticeable lag. When doing a lot of work with the Adjustment brush I disable the GPU.

Lens Corrections Distortion setting also increases the Adjustment brush lag.  For this reason (and others) I have all of my lens profile default settings at 0 Distortion. Lens Corrections Vignetting doesn't seem to slow anything down so it can be left at 100 or whatever setting you use. I change the Lens Corrections Distortion setting as the last step, but only for pictures with very visible straight-line distortion.