7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2006 1:40 PM by rbarra

How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?

rbarra Level 1
      Hi guys,

I know how to block a layer in Fireworks 8, it's very easy, but can't do the same in MX 2004. Any hint?

Thanks.
      Ricardo from Chile.
        • 1. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
          Level 7
          rbarra wrote:

> Hi guys,
          >
          > I know how to block a layer in Fireworks 8, it's very easy, but can't do the same in MX 2004. Any hint?

Hi Ricardo,

Do you mean prevent it from being disturbed while you are working on
          another layer? Select Single Layer Editing from the Layers panel menu.

--
          Linda Rathgeber ACE ::: PVII
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Adobe Community Expert - Fireworks
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 2. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
            senocular Level 1
            I think Ricardo means object locking.

Im sorry Ricardo, but object locking is only available in Fireworks 8. In previous versions of Fireworks, only layers can be locked.

Bear in mind that objects are elements in your file such as shapes, text, and bitmap images. These are commonly seen as layers in the context of many applications like Photoshop. Fireworks layers are more similar to layer folders in Photoshop. Layers in Fireworks contain multiple objects.
            • 3. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
              rbarra Level 1
              Yes Linda, that's what I meant. Thank you very much.

Thanks, senocular. Just one more thing... In FW 8, you click in the little box at the right side of the eye of one layer and a lock appears. That means that you cannot select any object contained in that single layer. But in FW MX 2004, nothing happens if you want to lock one, two or more layers by clicking to the right of the eye.
              • 4. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
                senocular Level 1
                Thats what I just explained in my last post.
                • 5. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
                  rbarra Level 1
                  Yes, I get your point, but you say:

"In previous versions of Fireworks, only layers can be locked". Well, that's what I want but cannot achieve. To lock 1, 2 or several layers so I cannot even select their contents, and work with the others. The method recommended by Linda is just to work with one specific layer and lock all the other ones.

So, probably we should say: In previous versions of Fireworks, layers cannot be locked as you do in Fireworks 8.
                  :-)
                  • 6. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
                    Level 7
                    rbarra wrote:
                    > Yes, I get your point, but you say:
                    >
                    > "In previous versions of Fireworks, only layers can be locked". Well, that's
                    > what I want but cannot achieve. To lock 1, 2 or several layers so I cannot even
                    > select their contents, and work with the others. The method recommended by
                    > Linda is just to work with one specific layer and lock all the other ones.
                    >
                    > So, probably we should say: In previous versions of Fireworks, layers cannot
                    > be locked as you do in Fireworks 8.

No, Senocular has it right. Layers in Fireworks are more similar to
                    Illustrator's than to Photoshop's. Only the top level "layers" are
                    layers and everything "under" a layer (when you click the + sign on a
                    closed layer) is an object. Object locking is possible only in Fireworks
                    8. In previous versions, only the top level layers (the real layers) can
                    be locked.

Is that any clearer?

--
                    St�phane Bergeron
                    reach : connect : communicate
                    http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                    http://www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: How to block a layer in FW MX 2004?
                      rbarra Level 1
                      Yes. Very clear now. Thank you all!