4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2016 8:18 PM by Joel Cherney

open hidden text box in indesign with script

abhijeett89122812

Capture.PNG

hi, we have 120 pages indesign files, when we get this files and they are localized and becaz of that they contain lots of hidden data in text box, is there any script or solution through which I can open all text box with their hidden data through out the file in one click

• 1. Re: open hidden text box in indesign with script
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't tested this, I think that Find and Change Object could do this. 

Find Type: Text Frames

Change Object Format:

Text Frame Auto-Size Options

set to Height Only, with the top anchor selected.

Change all

Screenshot 2016-07-22 13.16.26.png

• 2. Re: open hidden text box in indesign with script
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Assuming I understand the question, It can be done without a script.

1. Open the document and choose Edit > Find/Change
            2. Switch to the Object Tab
            3. Set the Type: menu (at the bottom) to Text Frames
            4. Click the Specify Attributes to Change button next to the Change Object Format: field
            5. In the Text Frame Auto Size Options section of the Change Object Format Options dialog, set Auto-Sizing to Height Only
            6. Choose a reference point from the proxy (I'd recommend top-down as shown so your text frames 'grow' at the bottom)
            7. Click OK to go back to the Find/Change dialog.
            8. Click the Save Query button and give the operation a name to make it easy to recall (it will be added to the Query menu as a preset).
            9. Click Change All.
            • 3. Re: open hidden text box in indesign with script
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SJRiegel wrote:

I haven't tested this, I think that Find and Change Object could do this.

Hah. You haven't tested it, but apparently you can explain it faster than I can.

I have tested it and can confirm it will work, provided the result is actually what is desired.

• 4. Re: open hidden text box in indesign with script
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John Mensinger wrote:

I have tested it and can confirm it will work, provided the result is actually what is desired.

Yup.  I often step through a source English document before sending it out for translation, assigning one of a few different object styles - like AutoSizeDown, AutoSizeLeftAndDown, and so on. If all of your text frames should expand down, then this find/change query does the trick. I rarely can just use one direction of text frame expansion, but maybe that will work for the original poster.

In other cases, I use layout adjustment, because there's no "Toward Spine" / "Away from Spine" setting in text frame auto-sizing.