26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 5:38 AM by Ddoctor8

Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

swldstn2 Level 1

After I start Lightroom it starts up multiple copies of itself continually without stoping. After the first one each additional on says the catalog is use and wants me to quit or select a new catalog. it continues to open copies of itself and I kill them fast enough to. It's basically running away with 30-50 or 100 copies of itsel that it is trying to run. Cant find away to stop this behavior.

HELP!!!

Steve W

• 1. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

May we know your OS and exact LR version?

• 2. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you have computer problems. There is nothing in the LR program that can or would start up multiple instances of itself. The only way to do that is to constantly click/double click on a shortcut/alias for the LR .exe/.app file and even if that was to happen only one instance of LR would open.

I just try this on my system, Windows 7 Pro, and once LR is open double clicking on any of the shortcut icons I have, Desktop, Start Menu or Quick Launch bar on the Task bar, does not bring up another instance of LR.

LR is designed as a single instance program. Once it is opened that is all there is.

So there is definitely something wrong with your system possibly a virus. But I've never heard of any virus that would do this.

Are you having problems with any other program on your computer?

• 3. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
              swldstn2 Level 1

My version of OS Is El Capitan 10.11.6

My version of Lightroom is 2015.6

I completely reinstalled my OS. Started Lightroom for the first time and it started again opening multiple copies based on only one, i repeat, only one click. LR is the only application doing this so its hard not to blame Lightroom in some way.

• 4. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uninstall LR and then reinstall LR using the instructions and installers available here:

Lightroom roll back to prior update version

Pleas note that this is  a two-step process:

1) Install LR 6.0/CC 2015 installer file

2) Install the LR 6.6/CC 2015.6 patch file

• 5. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                  swldstn2 Level 1

Completely uninstalled and then reinstalled. The reinstall kicked off the spawning of mutliple copies of itself all on its own.

So this failed.

• 6. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                    swldstn2 Level 1

Also tried to install an older version of CC but that failed as well. Opened another thread because Adobe direction do not work as documented on their website

• 7. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

One other thing you should try is resetting the LR Preferences file. When LR is uninstalled it does not remove the old Preferences file. Follow the instructions at the below link and rename your current Preferences file with a .OLD extension so you can restore it if the problem persists:

Resetting the lightroom preferences file - updated | Lightroom Forums

swldstn2 wrote:

Opened another thread because Adobe direction do not work as documented on their website

What is the link to that post?

• 8. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

You have a computer problem. Not sure what it is but if an installer does this it is a problem with the operating system or some part of the hardware in your system.

You said you reinstalled the operating system on your Mac. Did you format or erase the drive before reinstalling OS X? If not then the problem did not get fixed by just reinstalling OS X over the top of the current, previous, install.

I'm still thinking you have some type of virus or malware on your Mac that is causing programs, specifically Lightroom, to open in a separate process. If you open Activity Monitor, in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, do you see multiple listings for LR when LR starts doing this.

• 10. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                          swldstn2 Level 1

Removed the preference file and its did the exact same thing. It did not help at all

I know I did not reformat my drive but If I do that I will have to reinstall all of my 80 or 90 apps so that is the very last thing I will try.

Even If I do a backup I won't be able to do a restore for fear that the restor will cause the exact some problem.

I can't help think that the problem I have with CC not seeing my licenses even after I've logged out shut down and relogged in is related in some way. They both started at the same time.

• 11. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                            swldstn2 Level 1

Now the CC sign-in prompt is going through the same repetitive loop even after I quite Create Cload app.

• 12. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

To be honest I've never seen a complaint about LR spawing multiple copies. Have you run both a virus and malware scan?

swldstn2 wrote:

I can't help think that the problem I have with CC not seeing my licenses even after I've logged out shut down and relogged in is related in some way. They both started at the same time.

You can contact Adobe Support and have them check your activation status to eliminate that as the cause:

Contact Customer Care

• 13. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

swldstn2 wrote:

Now the CC sign-in prompt is going through the same repetitive loop even after I quite Create Cload app.

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR COMPUTER. EITHER THE OS OR SOME OTHER PART IN YOUR SYSTEM!!!!!!!!

More than likely you have some type of virus or Malware that is causing this. Try running Malware bits for Mac.

Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac

But in the end it would be advised to completely wipe the drive, Format or Erase the drive, then reinstall OS X. Or if you have a slightly older Time Machine backup, or another backup made with one of the OS X cloning software programs, to restore your system from that.

• 14. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

Just Shoot Me wrote:

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR COMPUTER. EITHER THE OS OR SOME OTHER PART IN YOUR SYSTEM!!!!!!!!

More than likely you have some type of virus or Malware that is causing this. Try running Malware bits for Mac.

Good choice! Just two days ago I started having an issue with FireFox locking up on certain websites...with no other issues. I downloaded Malwarebytes and it found and removed four rootkit malware items associated with MT Gen trojan virus. The virus has not returned even after rebooting my system several times and FireFox is back to running normal.

BTW-I run Norton Security Protection and also did a full system scan with nothing found. Only Malwarebytes was able to find and remove the malware.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 15. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This behavior is quite impossible on Mac OS X. It is actually virtually impossible to get it to start multiple instances of a program that has a GUI component. The only way to do that is to start the program from the command line with the -n flag which I highly doubt you are doing, so I would guess that Shoot Me is right that you have a virus that wraps your program startup somehow. I have never heard of one that does that but definitely something is seriously borked on your machine.

• 16. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                      swldstn2 Level 1

To all who think this behavior is quite impossible I humbly disagree.  I've traced it down to some kind of interaction with creative cloud.

and more explicitly the Adobe Application Manager.

When creative cloud is removed from the system or completely deactivated (no running processes which you really can't do after it has started once) Lightroom doesn't have a problem and does not spawn multiple copies.

I have removed and re-installed creative cloud but the problem returns every time I reinstall it. Also there must be some hidden files I can't find because it remembers my account even after re-installation. It does not prompt me to enter it. It just knows. I'm going to remove the files from my home directory from creative cloud on the next attempt.

• 17. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

swldstn2 wrote:

To all who think this behavior is quite impossible I humbly disagree. I've traced it down to some kind of interaction with creative cloud.

The Creative Cloud app requires Internet access to maintain product activation. If you have malware on your system it can interfere with that communication process. I experienced this myself when an MT Gen trojan virus somehow ended up on my system. I couldn't access certain websites such as Yahoo Finance. You can download Malwarebytes and use it for two weeks at no charge. It took only five minutes to run it on my system, find the malware, and fix the issue. Give it a try.

• 18. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                          Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

Just try Malwarebytes to see if it stops the trouble instead of blaming everything else.The  interaction you describe is a well known malware type of operation to try and overload a server etc. Its free on Mac OS too!

• 19. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                            swldstn2 Level 1

I think I've reach the same conclusions trshaner and alfred reached that there must be something software/malware/virus related. The machine seems very stable when booted in safe mode. So I'm going to bite the bullet and reformat my hard drive and reinstall. I haven't done that since I got the machine 4 years ago. I've got all my data backed up and off the main drive now (was able to do that in safe mode) so thanks for the help. Let you know how it comes out.

Steve.

p.s. Reinstalling all my plugins and presets is going to be a headache but what the hell.

• 20. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

swldstn2 wrote:

To all who think this behavior is quite impossible I humbly disagree.

Then you are fooling yourself. Do what you like and think what you like. But I know for sure what you are experiencing can't happen with a properly functioning computer and Lightroom, with or without the Creative Cloud desktop installed.

Look at it this way.

If it was something totally related to LR or the CC desktop app you would see thousands of post about it. There aren't thousands of posts about, only yours.

All the best to you.

• 21. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self

swldstn2 wrote:

I've got all my data backed up and off the main drive now (was able to do that in safe mode) so thanks for the help.

I suggest running Malwarebytes with the external drive connected to insure there are no malware files on that drive. If you reformat the system drive it may become reinfected when you reconnect the external drive. In addition if it "fixes" the issue there's no need to reformat.

• 22. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                                  Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

p.s. Reinstalling all my plugins and presets is going to be a headache but what the hell.

Then why not try Malwarebyes first?

• 23. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                                    swldstn2 Level 1

I actually did down load Malwarebytes and ran it. It found two files it wanted to remove. After doing that I rebooted and tried again and the same problem persisted. So I'm guessing a full reformat and reinstall is probably needed at this point.

Had to go out so I won't get to it until later today. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know. Thanks for all the help here.

Steve

• 24. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                                      Mr_DVP10 Level 1

I am having the same issue, LR is the only program that this is happening with.

• 25. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                                        Ddoctor8 Level 1

Old thread same issue here.  I have 700 other macs.  To say that the issue is with the computer is both accurate and not at the same time.  Yes the issue is with the computer.  But it only occurs with lightroom, disk has been repaired permissions as well. Adobe CC moved and cleaner run along with all CC apps.  Same issue persists.  To completely redo an entire workstation with 20 other video audio photo apps because of 1 app is insane.    I have not tried a new user profile but I am going to do that now as well

• 26. Re: Lightroom spawning multiple copies of it self
                                                          Ddoctor8 Level 1

Nearly a year later. But often people never mark solutions and I've talked to other with this issue so I'm taking a line to to put the fix.  Called Adobe support they used the Adobe cc cleaning tool (not to be confused with cc cleaner by priform) and ran the hosts fix and a couple other tweaks and it was resolved.  Took the tech a early an hour on the phone. I wish I copied every step he did but after hours of trying to resolve this I was just happy to have it fixed. Most likely he said it was the hosts fox from the Adobe cc  cleaner tool that finally resolved it.  No reload no virus no malware.