10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 5:20 AM by Roei Tzoref

How do I gradually wiggle faster?

zyrefiodge Level 1

Hi,

I want to have a video start still, and then gradually start wiggling more and more in the space of about 1 second.

I don't know much about the things you can do in after effects, but I know about how the wiggle thing works.

Could someone help? I'm pretty new with after effects.

• 1. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will want to add two expression control sliders to your layer (Effects>Expression Controls>Slider Control) and rename them to amp and freq.

Now you just add the two sliders to the expression by declaring two variables "amp" and "freq" then add the wiggle method from the Expression Controls Menu.

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 7.38.42 AM.png

This gives you this expression:

amp = effect("amp")("Slider");

freq= effect("freq")("Slider");

wiggle(freq, amp, octaves = 1, amp_mult = .5, t = time)

if you want to you can delete the octaves, amp_mult, and t functions so the final expression looks like this:

wiggle(freq, amp)

The octaves, amp-milt and t (time) functions are just available to give you more control on the method.

The last step is to animate the sliders.

The project looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 7.36.24 AM.png

• 2. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

How about choosing an already made preset from the effects panel called "wiggle-position" and you get a stopwatch that you can keyframe and set the values from low to high to your satisfaction? 2 minutes and you're done.

• 3. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?

That is one way to do it but running through the process of creating your own expression is a better way to learn. You get exactly the same result but it's much more difficult to understand the expression.

• 4. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?

This also could be complicating things immensely to a new user to the software. The preset does exactly what you showed and even offers more flexibility since it's effect and not transformations based. my approach is based on the fact that this is a new user and should complete (and possibly enjoy) the process without being concerned about code just yet.

• 5. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?

The expression from the preset is exactly the same as the expression that I showed in function. The sliders are the same. I've been teaching AE for 20 + years and the best way to learn expressions is to get in the habit of simplifying them by adding and using variables. It's just good technique and the best way to start.

wiggle(effect("Wiggle - position")("Wiggle Speed (wigs/sec)"), effect("Wiggle - position")("Wiggle Amount (pixels)"))

Is exactly the same as

wiggle(freq, amp)

but harder to read and understand especially if you start digging into the Expression Language menu. The only difference between the two techniques is the language and the name of the sliders.

• 6. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?

Thank you Rick. Your input is appreciated. Op did not ask to learn expressions, nor this is an expression forum. In fact he wrote he is a new user and doesn't know much about Ae at all... I am guessing he doesn't know WHAT EXPRESSION IS .  I find it funny you would write your Resume as if you need credentials to make a point. I respect you very much but you are wrong. Do you teach expressions in your first lesson to students? How long after you opened Ae for the first time, did you start pressing Alt+stopwatch. maybe you are no example but you get the point.

• 8. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?

no argument there. I am talking strictly from a standpoint of a new user - expressions are scary. heck, just trying to write in such a small space can go wrong in so many ways. why go there if all the dude want's to do is just shake his video for a while? it's not like he's trying to make some elaborate motion graphics and needs to know the math right?

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT! what am I saying - let Op decide. I am just giving my humble, semi-experienced, mildly professional, with only 4 years of teaching under my belt. sharing my opinion and enjoying my time arguing with one of Ae's Community top leaders.. no harm in that right?

• 9. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?
                        zyrefiodge Level 1

Because I'm still in school, I think being taught in person helps a lot more than watching guides on the internet, because the person is not there to point out your errors and give you feedback. Rick, I'll try that and see if I can get anywhere, but I'll also try Roei's method.

thanks

• 10. Re: How do I gradually wiggle faster?

You're welcome! good luck.