1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2016 5:46 PM by Rick Gerard

Lock mask in place

Herley Alencar Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to move a layer but the mask move together, I want to freeze in the initial position. I tryed to work with track matte (create a solid above the one I animate and mask it). Initially works, but when the bellow layer starts to move, don't show off the limits off the mask from the layer above. Only shows the layer when it's stopped.

I'm using AE 2015.3

Win10

• 1. Re: Lock mask in place
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to do.

If you want to lock a mask in position then you use the Pan Behind tool (a) and follow the techniques listed in the help files when you type Pan behind tool or animate masks in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE:

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 5.40.43 PM.png

Track mattes are also easy to use and this may be your best option. You simply put a layer that you want to use as a track matte above the layer you want to mask and then either animate the track matte or animate the position, size, scale, rotation or any other property you want to on the layer below the matte.

For more details type "track matte' in the search help field at the top right corner of AE

Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 5.43.49 PM.png

and you'll find this: Animate track mattes in After Effects | Adobe After Effects CC tutorials