3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 7:23 AM by Jao vdL

Why is Photoshop fix not really integrated with Lightroom mobile?

alexelder

Hello,

I recently bought an iPad to edit photos on the go and with a stylus. Lightroom mobile syncs perfectly fine with Lightroom desktop, but you can't really use Photoshop Fix in that workflow. Yes you can, but only two functions. If you are in Lightroom mobile and use the "edit in" Lightroom mobile gives you the option of "healing" or "liquify". If I use one of these I can save my edit in Photoshop fix and they sync with Lightroom just fine.

I was wondering if there is any way how you could use all the functions of Photoshop Fix instead?

Of course I could just open the file in Photoshop Fix via the integrated Lightroom Collections. However, if I do so, Photoshop Fix creates a new file. If I choose send to Lightroom it will send this new file to a Smart Collection in Lightroom called "From Lightroom mobile".

The issue I am having with that is that I usually only edit about 20 of 100 files of a shoot in P@hotoshop. What I am loosing is the time stamp, so basically if I add the new files to the shoot everything will be out of order. It would take way to much time to fix that manually.

Any ideas how to solve this? I realize it is kind of complicated and very specific, but I don't see why I can't just say "edit in Photoshop Fix" and have all the functions. Adobe already gave us the integration but I don't see why it would cut the functions in such a way.

Looking forward to hearing any tips!

Thanks,

Stefan

• 1. Re: Why is Photoshop fix not really integrated with Lightroom mobile?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't tried this but it is impossible to do the full functions of Fix without creating a new file. As soon as you go to Fix, the edit is destructive and just like in desktop LR, when you edit in PS, it has to create a new rendered bitmap (i.e. tif/psd) of the file so the result via the integrated collections you describe is the logical result.

• 2. Re: Why is Photoshop fix not really integrated with Lightroom mobile?
            alexelder Level 1

Thanks for your help! That is correct, but if you are using Lightroom on your Desktop and choose edit in Photoshop, it works perfectly fine. Photoshop creates a new tif file, but if you hit save, the changes you made will be saved as a virtual copy to Lightroom. Why would this not be possible in iOS?

• 3. Re: Why is Photoshop fix not really integrated with Lightroom mobile?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Lightroom desktop, you don't get a virtual copy though. It is a whole new image that is independent of the original. You might have enabled the option to automatically stack it with the original. I don't believe Adobe has managed to program the notion of stacking in Lightroom mobile yet so that's not yet possible. My guess is too that there are some limitations to how this works in iOS as it has no user accessible file system and when sending files between apps new copies have to be created due to the sandboxing of apps from each other. This is done for security reasons as j understand it and is different from desktop OSes and android does this different again. I am not an expert at that though so I am guessing a bit. This might be something too that you want to talk about on feedback.photoshop.com a lot of Adobe engineers hang out there.