2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 3:28 AM by Just Shoot Me

Restoring LR backup

Hewnchain

Im using a macbook pro.  A year ago I exported all my images to an external hard drive, not realising I had the 'jpeg' box checked in the export menu box.  So now all my images are jpegs.  I want to restore a backup from before then so Ive got the raw files, but what will happen to all the new images Ive added to my catalogue since then?  Do I need to export them somewhere, do the backup, then add them to the restored backup?  A bit lost here.

• 1. Re: Restoring LR backup
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Restoring a backup will set your LR back to the time the backup was created. All the work done since then will be lost.

Did you delete the original RAW files? Why are your images now jpgs and not RAW anymore? The export does not change/replace the originals you imported into LR. I don't really see the issues - they still should be there.

Are there any '?' on folders or '!' on photos in LR library?

An export is not a backup. From the LR point of view, use the integrated backup function to backup your catalog. However, this does NOT include and backup the photos itself. You need to backup the photo RAW files separately - LR has no function to do this.

Upon import you can select to have LR make a backup copy to a second drive for instance - that would be a way to backup your RAW images.

• 2. Re: Restoring LR backup
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Your images are not IN LR.

LR is a database program that only makes a reference to where your images are stored on your hard drive. It also does not change those images in any way even after doing multiple edits to them. The only time the edits you make are actually saved to an image file is when you export it.

So restoring a backup of the LR catalog file from a previous time will not bring back all your original files if you have already deleted them.

All you will end up with is a catalog file, a database reference file, that has question marks ( ? ) next to the images.