6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2016 9:22 PM by GeorgeBurrowsPhotography

Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?

GeorgeBurrowsPhotography

Can the Newest Mac Air 13"  run Lightroom via the CC?  (8GB 512 GB SSD 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

I edit Concert Photography from the road for social media use (venues) then use PC for main editing . Currently a 2010 17" Mac Book Pro is used but it has become too heavy to carry.

Thank You

Live Gig Shots

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

Message was edited by: George Burrows

• 1. Re: Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here are the system requirements for the current version of Lightroom:

System requirements for Photoshop Lightroom for Mac and Windows OS

You could create collections of images on your main computer and share those collections using Lightroom Mobile. This is assuming that you are using Lightroom CC. Then you could go to Lightroom.adobe.com and edit those collections on the Mac Air. The other approach would be to have the catalog and images on an external hard drive that could be moved from one computer to the other.

• 2. Re: Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?
            GeorgeBurrowsPhotography Level 1

JimHess thank you kindly for the information. I finally got CC last week (owned LR since 3). I am starting over learning Lightroom and know nothing  as of yet about LR mobile. Being able to have my collections on my main PC and share them to the Mac Air would be perfect. Can I upload/edit from Air to PC? I will look into CC more this week.  It looks as if the Mac Air should meet the requirement. All I hear about is Mac Book Pro's as the machine.  Thanks Again-George

• 3. Re: Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom mobile is for iOS and android mobile devices. It isn't needed when you are running a full regular version of an operating system. You share the collections the same way you do for Lightroom Mobile. But instead of using the mobile application you go to Lightroom.adobe.com and sign in using your web browser and do your adjustments. Any adjustments made on your Mac Book Air will automatically be applied to the MacBook Pro.

You still need Lightroom CC to work as I have described. You still need the ability to share the collections and the standalone Lightroom does not have that capability.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?
                GeorgeBurrowsPhotography Level 1

jimHess I thank you for helping me.

JimHess wrote:

Lightroom mobile is for iOS and android mobile devices. It isn't needed when you are running a full regular version of an operating system. You share the collections the same way you do for Lightroom Mobile. But instead of using the mobile application you go to Lightroom.adobe.com and sign in using your web browser and do your adjustments. Any adjustments made on your Mac Book Air will automatically be applied to the MacBook Pro.

You still need Lightroom CC to work as I have described. You still need the ability to share the collections and the standalone Lightroom does not have that capability.

I will need to digest the above and do a hands on before it makes working sense. I have an iPhone and iPad as well. George

• 5. Re: Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That machine will run LR CC just fine. Probably quite a bit faster than the 17" MBP you're using now. The only problem with it is not going to be speed, it is the quality of the screen which is not superb but you can get away with it if you calibrate it. By default it is way too cool in color temp.

• 6. Re: Can Lightroom CC Run on a 2015 Mac Air 13"?
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Jim has mentioned the best solution is to have the Catalog and files on external drives. You can have Lightroom CC installed on two machines so there is no problem there.

The difficulty is keeping things in sync but by having the Catalog and files on external drives there is only one lot of data so syncing is not necessary.

Personally I have two Macbook Pros with the catalog and previews on a Thunderbolt Drive with the image files on separate drives. Disk access is important so separating the catalog and files speeds things up.

The Macbook Air will be fine!!