8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 12:38 PM by Theresa J

Remove colour

jasonj56864267

Hi all,

I created an illustration in abobe draw, I also coloured it and merged the layers.

Is there a way to remove the colour from the illustration and just keep the black lines from within abode draw ?

I dont know how to remove the colour and make the white background transparent again to re colour in PS either  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks'

• 1. Re: Remove colour
          Sheena Kaul Adobe Employee

Hi Jason,

I believe after merging the layers you are trying to remove the colors from the drawing.

Did you try to use the eraser tool? With the eraser tool you can erase the colors from within the drawing without erasing the outline.

Please see How do I erase in Adobe draw for application of the tool.

Let me know if that's what you were looking.

Regards,

Sheena

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Remove colour
            jasonj56864267 Level 1

Hi,

thanks for your help.

the illustration is on one layer now, the eraser tool erases all of the immage, i just want to keep the line art.

so i dont think it is possible in adobe draw    Is it possible in PS cc ?

I am new to digital work.

thanks.

• 3. Re: Remove colour
              Sheena Kaul Adobe Employee

Thanks for clearing it out more.

You are right, once the layers are merged it isn't possible to just keep the line art. For that, apparently you will have to unmerge the layers and then try removing the colors just to retain the line art.

It is possible in Photoshop CC. Please see How To Remove The Background From a Drawing or Lineart

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

• 4. Re: Remove colour
                Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Try using the eraser brush and do a tap and hold on a color area. That should erase the color but not the black line art. This is the best option you have within Draw now that you merged the layers, unless you have Adobe Illustrator. Let me know if you have Illustrator, and I will tell you how best to remove the color there. Illustrator is a better solution than Photoshop because it retains the objects in vector.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Remove colour
                  jasonj56864267 Level 1

Hi Theresa.

Thanks for your time, yes I have Illustrator CC, the latest version.

I haven't tried your suggestion of tapping and holding with Adobe draw with the eraser tool yet.

All your help is much appreciated

Thanks,

• 6. Re: Remove colour

Jason,

Starting with Draw, send your file to Adobe Illustrator with the send icon in the top right. You need to be logged in to your CC account in Draw, and on your desktop or laptop. The drawing should automatically open in Illustrator.

Note: the file you edit in Illustrator can not be returned to Adobe Draw, at least right now with the current version. Hopefully this feature will be added in the future.

In Illustrator, select a piece of the line art. While it is selected go to the menu Select>Same>Fill Color. This should select all of the line art assuming you drew all of it with the same color.

Now you can hide what you have selected with CMD-3 (Mac) or CNTRL-3 (PC).

Select everything left behind and delete it. Unhide the line art with CMD-Opt-3 (Mac) or CNTRL-alt-3 (PC).

Save the Illustrator file. You can copy and paste, or place the illustrator line art into Photoshop for coloring, or you can color it with Illustrator. It all depends on the effect you are after.

I hope this helps.

2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Remove colour
                      jasonj56864267 Level 1

Hi Theresa!

thank You so much, that worked beautifully!!

Thanks for your time and help.

All the best,

Jason.

• 8. Re: Remove colour

Jason,

Glad that I could help. Thanks for reporting back and letting us know it solved your challenge.

Theresa