24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 7:18 AM by Bill Gehrke

Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

A_omry Level 1

Hi guys,

I've been researching laptops for video editing for several days now.

I know that laptops are not ideal for CPU-intensive tasks, such as rendering video, but I don't really have a choice. I move around a bit and will typically work from at least 2 or 3 locations in a given year.

I got what I think might be a pretty good deal from Lenovo and just wanted to bounce this offer off you guys and see if I might be overlooking something important.

I've never owned a Lenovo machine before.

It's a Lenovo P50 Mobile Worksatation

The specs are as follows:

• Intel Core i7-6820HQ processor (8MB Cache, Up to 3.6 Ghz)

• Windows 10 Home 64

• 15.6 FHD (1920x1080) IPS Non-Touch

• 16GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM

• NVIDIA Quadro M1000M 4GB

• 720p HD Camera with Microphone

• Keyboard with Number Pad

• 256GB SSD PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0

• 6 Cell Li-Polymer Battery 90Wh

I realize 15.6" is not very convenient. I expect to have a 2nd monitor at my primary location (at least).

I got a quote directly from Lenovo for $1485 before taxes on this, which I think is pretty good, compared to other similar systems I was looking at.

There are some ASUS ROG laptops that had similar specs for cheaper, but I just can't stomach the gaming laptops designs : )

My main uses for this system will be Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition, Reaper.

No 3d, no gaming.

My intention is to use the 256GB SSD that comes with the laptop as a system and installed applications drive. I also plan to add a second SSD drive (512GB) as a temporary project drive to place media files on it. When I'm done with a specific project, I'll transfer the files from the 512 drive to an external drive for storage and then wipe the internal 512GB SSD to make it ready for the next project. Does that make sense?

Will be happy to get input on this. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i would avoid dell and lenovo, they have been caught installing bad software onto computers. you can search for lenovo + superfish to see some articles...

the i7-6820HQ cpu is good, but is usually only available with quadro video cards. this makes the system much more expensive. the quadro m1000m is on the weaker side of the video cards, you would want at least a quadro m3000m for decent power. if you don't need the quadro for 10bit display an alternative is to look for a laptop with a gtx 965m or 970m (970m is better for more gpu fx and lumetri color). these laptops have i7-x7xxhq cpu's, like the i7-6700hq, which are about 10% slower than the i7-6820HQ. after effects likes alot of memory and depending on the project you might find 16gb limiting.

using a usb ssd like the samsung t1 or t3 is an alternative to upgrading/adding an internal ssd. some do this to quickly move projects between different computers. sometimes it just helps with systems that cannot add or easily upgrade internal drives. an internal drive would be slightly better vs usb if you can do it, and would avoid extra clutter if needing to move around.

• 2. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I think Lenovo learned there lesson on spyware, but you do have to be careful.  Basically that looks like decent editing laptop, it is a shame that Lenovo does not offer a lower cost higher performing GeForce GTX graphics option.

I love my ASUS ROG laptop, and it works beautifully but it I were buying now rather than a couple of years ago I would hunt for one that would support at least two smaller/much faster PCIe Gen 3 X4 M.2 SSD's

• 3. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
              A_omry Level 1

Thanks fore the replies

@RoninEdits - Yeah, I checked and Lenovo do not offer a high-end model with the GeForce cards you mentioned. I also checked and they no longer install any pre-installed crap like SuperFish, or so they say : ) I actually feel more confident a company that got slapped for a lawsuit over those types of issues would be more sensitive to such matters, than a company that hasn't.. to fix their reputation, etc. You know what I mean?

@Bill - I was seriously considering the ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH74. I went to a local Best Buy to see how one actually looked and felt. It's just not me : )

Is it worth paying another $300 for the Lenovo? Not sure... I think that the Lenovo P50 mentioned above is actually a bit more powerful than the Asus I was looking at. It's a tough call..

• 4. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

A_omry wrote:

I actually feel more confident a company that got slapped for a lawsuit over those types of issues would be more sensitive to such matters, than a company that hasn't.. to fix their reputation, etc. You know what I mean?

a decent company would learn and stop loading their computers with bloatware and malware/adware, but then again a decent company wouldn't do that in the first place. they choose to save a few dollars vs protecting their customers. their actions were immoral and i wouldn't trust the company going forward. i would only trust independent reviews to find out if their current computers have any other problems or not. i personally won't put in that effort and instead blacklist them, as there are way to many alternative pc mfg's selling the same machine with a different logo on the outside.

lenovo isn't the only company doing installing bloatware and i would probably format and clean install windows on any new pc. its quicker than searching thru windows for problems and its possible to miss something.

the quadro m1000m is still a concern for premiere. you might want to look for a faster quadro like the quadro m3000m or m4000m, which are closer to the gtx 965m. the thinkpad p70 can be configured with the m3000m and 32gb of memory for about $2600, add some storage and its over $3000.

• 6. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                  JFPhoton Level 3

.....I have an Asus gaming laptop,too...the same one as Billl.....and after self upgrading the memory and installing SSDs, it has performed very well....and it now is TWO YEARS OLD !!

I drive TWO 1440p IPS monitors at 60hz/sec no problem in addition to the native 17.3 inch screen.

A much better and newer ROG was just on sale at New Egg for $1495 and it featured 16 GB system memory with two empty user accessible memory slots to self upgrade to 32 GB....which is what you want....16GB is a little low now, as PPro utilizes more memory....esp with 4K work.

The advertised machine has an NVidia 980m GPU with 4GB video memory.

I have owned two ROG laptops and they have been stellar performers.

Just go to New Egg and select all the Asus laptops which are Asus and have the 980m GPU.....you will see at least 7 models ranging from $1479 to $3000 including one with 8GB of video memory AND a PCI NVMe drive !!!

Be aware that new laptops are coming with the new 1070 GPU.....everything changes so fast !!! The push to provide powerful machines to run virtual reality goggles is benefitting video editors !!

If you get a machine with only one PCI NVMe drive in it........it would be best to use THAT drive for your media, project files, previews, media cache, and cache files. Another words : EVERYTHING OTHER than what would go on your boot drive, which should ONLY be OS,programs, and Windows page file. The NVMe drive would be a WASTE to just serve as a boot drive.....the incredible bi-directional speed is what you NEED for serving up your media files and all other editing operations. The OS and programs become "memory resident" once loaded, so a good Samsung 850 Pro SATA III SSD would serve well as a boot drive.

• 7. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                    RjL190365 Level 4

RoninEdits wrote:

the quadro m1000m is still a concern for premiere.

The Quadro M1000M is actually a lower-clocked desktop GTX 750 (non-Ti), but with the same 80 GB/second graphics memory throughput as the desktop GTX 750. As such, it is actually faster in Premiere than a lot of other entry-level discrete "mobile" GPUs. But at the price that Lenovo charges for the laptop that features that GPU, it has only a mediocre performance-to-price ratio.

• 8. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

i would have figured the mobile quadro was based on the mobile gtx's, not a desktop version, but i could be wrong. the 960m spec shows 80gb memory bandwidth, but is still a mediocre performer. "a lot faster than entry level discrete mobile gpu's" doesn't necessarily put it in the clear as some of those entry level gpu's are extremely slow and it would have to be 2-3x faster. the OP never said what kind of premiere projects he will be doing, so he may be not need a powerful gpu and may be fine. perhaps he won't even be using premiere much and the rest of his software doesn't need a powerful gpu. whichever gpu he picks, it most likely cannot be upgraded/replaced, so he needs to be certain of his choice.

• 9. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

Here is what I would buy if I needed something right now, it is refurbished but I have had great luck with Newegg on this type item, if you do not like it send it back.  All sorts of options to upgrade memory, and apparently it might have connectors up to 2 M.2 PCIe gen 3 x4 devices plus 2 SATA III M.2 plus one standard SATA III port

If you follow that Xotic link and select customize you can see the memory and storage options appear to be fantastic for future upgrading.

• 10. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                          A_omry Level 1

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. Only saw this now, as for some reason I didn't get notifications to my email that messages were posted to this thread

RoninEdits wrote:

the OP never said what kind of premiere projects he will be doing

Documentary style mostly. My last project, completed just recently, was a 37 min documentary. Used only up to two layer of video (for one shot that had two clips superimposed), an additional track for titles and a track for subtitles.

I normally have somewhat of a mix regarding original footage used, but nothing higher res than 1080 at the moment.

My After Effects work is fairly basic. I'm just starting out with AE. I'll do some basic animation and chromakeying, that's about it.

I also do audio work - Audition for post-production clean up of audio (with Premiere projects) and if it's just music production - I use a program called Reaper and some plugins.

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Here is what I would buy if I needed something right now

Okay  that's very similar to the type of laptops I've been looking at. I'm a bit hesitant to get "refurbished", not sure what I need to check to make sure all is good. Also, while I would probably be better off with a 17", my desk space is a bit problematic. 15" would work perfectly. If I go 17" I'd need to start a little project to mount my studio monitors on the wall or something.

Based on feedback from you guys - I'll drop the Lenovo option. The list is currently these (assuming I go with 15-inch):

1. MSI 15.6" GS60 Ghost Gaming Notebook
                          2. ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VT-DS74
                          3. ASUS ROG GL552VW-DH74
                          4. GIGABYTE P Series P35Wv5-SLH

If I go 17-inch:

1. MSI GT Series GT72S Dominator Pro G-037
                          2. MSI 17.3" GE72 Apache Pro-070
                          3. ASUS ROG G752VL-UH71T

Regarding ASUS - I've heard only good things. I'm not one to care much how my laptop looks. Really, aesthetics is the lowest issue on my priority list, but these ASUS ROG laptops... just hard for me to stomach the over-the-top skins on these : ) The only negative I've read is flimsier build compared to MSI.

Regarding MSI - Great reviews overall, but there is a very consistent issue with their fans. Something about them spinning at full speed for now apparent reason The issue mostly seems to occur when hooking up the laptop to external monitors (via dock) or when shutting the laptop lid. Also read several comments and posts by people who complain about the bevel pressing against the screen panel and creating horrible light leaks at the corners. Clearly a design flaw.

My main questions now are:

1. Would 128GB SSD be sufficient space as a system drive, provided I'll only have Windows 10, Adobe CC and some other programs on it. No personal data or media.

2. Which has a better screen (if the differences would be noticeable at all?

3. It's unclear to me for some models whether they have USB 3.1 type C gen 1 or gen 2. And do you think it matters at all.

4. How easily will I be able to install a 2nd SSD drive (preferably PCIe-NVMe) for working media files of the current project I'll be editing?

I promise I won't make this an endless thread. I'll pull the trigger on something soon. I have to.

Looking forward to your further input : )

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

128gb would be enough for os/apps and a small amount of cache. ae disk cache would probably need the most space for cache out of all the programs and may not fit on a 128gb os/apps drive. if you get a samsung pcie m.2 ssd for the second drive and it isn't large enough to hold projects/media and cache, you will need a larger first drive or a third drive for cache. if you want to stick with the samsung pcie m.2 and need more space, samsung should have some 1tb m.2 drives coming out too. if you are trying to keep costs down, going with a larger os/apps drive to also hold cache would then allow for the second drive to be a regular sata ssd or sata m.2 to cut costs and still have good performance.

you would have to check the manuals to find out how many drive spots are available and what kind of drives they support. some of the m.2 drive slots support sata and pcie, some only support one type. you could also search for "ssd upgrade" or similar, on youtube for the laptops you are interested in. some asus and msi laptops have quick access panels (similar to memory access panels) to upgrade storage drives.

usb 3.1 gen 1 should be ok for connecting an external sata ssd. gen 2 would be for future proofing or other devices that can use 10gb/s speeds. some laptops may also have thunderbolt 3 which would also mostly be for future proofing.

i would drop any models with gtx 960m.

16gb ram will be minimum and may be ok, but you may also want to check manuals for memory upgrades on the laptops.

• 12. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                              A_omry Level 1

JFPhoton wrote:

If you get a machine with only one PCI NVMe drive in it........it would be best to use THAT drive for your media, project files, previews, media cache, and cache files. Another words : EVERYTHING OTHER than what would go on your boot drive, which should ONLY be OS,programs, and Windows page file. The NVMe drive would be a WASTE to just serve as a boot drive.....the incredible bi-directional speed is what you NEED for serving up your media files and all other editing operations. The OS and programs become "memory resident" once loaded, so a good Samsung 850 Pro SATA III SSD would serve well as a boot drive.

Hi JFPhoton,

I'm still reading up and researching.

I happened to read an article by B&H that seems to state that SSDs are actually more efficiently utilized as system drives, since their big advantage is with random seeking, which is typical of system drives, whereas media drives benefit most from a higher sustained transfer rate. While SSDs do typically offer faster transfer rates than spinning drives, the benefit doesn't necessarily justify the extra cost, since the differences in performance in that respect are not all that much (according to the article).

Here's a link

Hard-Drive Solutions for Video-Editing Studios | explora

Just wondering if I either misunderstood your post or possibly misunderstood the B&H article.

This is rather crucial, because it seems most laptops I'm finding in my price range, come with either just a spinning drive, or with Windows on an SSD and spinning drive as a 2nd drive.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                RjL190365 Level 4

Here is the problem with what you read:

If you are talking about 2.5" spinning HDDs, no laptop-oriented drive, not even a 7200 RPM one, can sustain more than about 130 MB/second maximum - and that's on the absolute outer tracks of the disk. This transfer rate plummets to about 60 to 70 MB/second on the inner tracks. The average transfer rate of the 2.5" laptop hard drives can only reach 90-ish MB/second. That's five times slower than the sequential transfer speed of most modern SSDs. This difference will significantly affect the editing experience, especially on NLE programs that decompress and recompress compressed video sources on the fly during rendering.

• 14. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                  JFPhoton Level 3

yes...RJL is correct. There is NO contest anymore between a relatively slow as molasses spinning hard drive and today's PCI NVMe drives, which are BLAZING fast and can handle MANY large video streams simultaneously. Bill Gehrke's PPBM7.com website bears this out. Visit it to see the test results of various configured machines that ran his Premiere Pro benchmark test.

Additionally, SATA drives are connected by a "half duplex" interface, which means the drive can ONLY read,OR, write....it cannot do BOTH operations AT THE SAME TIME. PCI NVMe drives CAN....they are "bi -directional" . This means LESS "latency" and higher performance.

Today New Egg offered an Asus ROG laptop like mine with a better video card than mine refurbished for around $900.....it can be self upgraded for more memory and better storage  drives. Mine is refubished.....I've now had two "refubished" Asus laptops and each one came like brand new with NO problems. I do not think it has the M.2 ports, though.

I would check out what Bill Gehrke suggested......if I were buying a new laptop I would want at least 32GB system memory, an NVidia 980m GPU with at least 6 or * GB video memory, AND a PCI M.2 slot for putting in an NVMe SSD, in addition to at least 2 SATA III drive bays.

Keep in mind new laptops are about to come out with a mobile NVidia 1070 GPU and more than one M.2 PCI slot.

Good Luck !

• 15. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                    A_omry Level 1

Hi all,

I write this sulking and with my head hung in shame for still not having pulled the trigger on any laptop, now six whole weeks since starting this thread. Please don't feel that your time and advice will go to waste. I'm just slow and overly cautious on these types of things. Also the fact that new and better technology is always just around the corner, keeps me procrastinating.

That being said, I'm enthusiastic about the new Nvidia Pascal video cards now coming out in laptops and I think I'm ready to make a selection. There's just one issue I haven't fully wrapped my head around — and that is the issue of hard drive (SSD) types, speeds and setups.

From what I know, it's recommended to have 3 separate drives for working with video:

Drive #1: Operating system and programs

Drive #2: Premiere Pro project file / Adobe cache

Drive #3: media (video and audio files)

That part I understand.

From discussions in this thread I have learned that If I have one drive that is faster than the others — that it would be most beneficial to use that drive as drive #2 (project file and cache).

So with that in mind — I just want to make sure I get this right.

I'm looking at the options that a company called Eluktronics offer on their custom built laptops.

You can see it here: Eluktro Pro P650 Series 15.6" Gaming Laptop

I know they are relatively new as a laptop brand but all the reviews on them seem to be solid and I've spoke with them a few times already and they really sound legit and reliable. They basically use a Clevo chassis and use components they buy in bulk that are re-branded.

However, when discussing the hard drive setup — they are urging me to make drive #1 (system and programs) the fastest. They say that they have built computers for many people in the creative industry (graphics, photo editing, video) and that this is the build that the vast majority ask for.

It's not that I really have any doubts about your advice and expertise — I just need some reassurance that I'm understanding this correctly before I pay them to make the necessary adjustments.

Obviously there is an option for only one m.2 PCIe SSD. From what I understand from them (it's possible I misunderstood) - they say that if I go with the m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, I can't use another m.2 SSD. Alternatively, I can pass on the m.2 PCIe NVMe SSD and go with two m.2 SATA SSDs.

They also said something like that the laptop can only have two 7mm drives or or one 9.5mm drive.

Anyways... I'm not sure I understand what my options are exactly and what the best setup would be for me, considering I want this to be a video editing laptop.

I think I'll only go for two SSDs in the build (for drives #1 and #2) and I'll store my media on external USB drives.

Please let me know your thoughts. And again apologies for making this purchase a saga : /

Thanks!

• 16. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

Hogwash on using the fastest drive for the OS/Applications.  They are wrong on that.  My dear departed Harm built a X99 based system and did that and I have an almost identical system with an old Samsung 840 for the OS/Applications and of course a Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB and he was not able to get as good PPBM scores on his computer as I have  

What I would find out is if you can get your laptop with a small SATA III SSD for your OS and a cheap hard disk drive and ask if you could later upgrade and add the Eluktro Pro-X Performance 512GB AHCI M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD into that configuration.  Incidentally from the specifications I am guessing they are using the Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD for this purpose

• 17. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                        A_omry Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for sticking with me on this : )

I'll ask them about the configuration and HDD swap you suggest tomorrow.

Enjoy the holiday weekend!

• 18. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                          JFPhoton Level 3

...Yes, Bill certainly knows what performs best, as he has been testing cutting edge hardware for years now . Bill often reminds people that once the operating system and programs are LOADED INTO MEMORY, they are " memory resident".....the speed of the boot drive THEN becomes of little importance.

With today's incredible PCI SSDs, there no longer is a need to put certain files on separate drives. Best performance with PPro comes when you place your video footage, previews, project files, and exports all on a new PCI SSD. Bill's tests have shown that there is NO performance penalty if you locate the "media cache" and "cache" files ONLY on a boot drive SSD. Your video footage MUST be on your fastest drive for best performance......decent performance on an external drive can only be obtained with newer drives like the samsung T3 or faster......better to be on an INTERNAL drive which is either the PCI SSD,or, a RAID 0 of 2 SSDs !

If you need more capacity than the PCI SSD can give, you could consider a machine which has an M.2 slot for an NVMe PCI SSD (which would be your boot drive), AND would also have TWO 2.5" HDD bays which you could install 2 SSDs into to make a high capacity RAID 0. This would give you speed AND capacity, if there is a model like that....or, enough MSata ports for the SSD RAID 0

• 19. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                            A_omry Level 1

Hi guys,

Thanks again for your input. I'm going to go with your advice on this.

But just want to wrap my head around a couple of things —

JFPhoton wrote:

With today's incredible PCI SSDs, there no longer is a need to put certain files on separate drives. Best performance with PPro comes when you place your video footage, previews, project files, and exports all on a new PCI SSD. Bill's tests have shown that there is NO performance penalty if you locate the "media cache" and "cache" files ONLY on a boot drive SSD.

So would the following configuration describe what you're talking about above?

512GB SATA3 2.5" SSD: Windows 10, Adobe CC, other programs, cache

512GB PCIe SSD: Premiere Pro project file, media files, previews, exports

Also, regarding the above, I wanted to know what should be the maximum capacity for either drive that I should be careful not to surpass?

JFPhoton wrote:

If you need more capacity than the PCI SSD can give, you could consider a machine which has an M.2 slot for an NVMe PCI SSD (which would be your boot drive), AND would also have TWO 2.5" HDD bays which you could install 2 SSDs into to make a high capacity RAID 0.

This setup is possible in the model I'm looking at. But running very tight on budget. In fact, I'll be spending more than I planned initially as it is.

What would you say would be a better idea:

The configuration you suggest above with system/programs on PCIe NVMe SSD and project/media on 2X 2.5" SATA3 SSDs in RAID 0 but with 16GB RAM

- or -

system/programs on 2.5" SATA3 SSD and project/media on a single PCIe NVMe SSD

but with 32GB RAM

I'm thinking probably the former, since RAM can be more easily upgraded. 16GB comes as 2x8GB and 32GB comes as 2x16GB, but I doubt I'll be surpassing 64GB of RAM in this laptops' lifetime.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

• 20. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

I think it is a big mistake to put your OS/Apps on the PCIe NVMe SSD there is no performance difference over just a good SATA III SSD   Whereas if you do not have the speed that is in a good PCIe Gen 3 x4 SSD you may have media read and write problems with some media.  I would not use RAID 0 unless you have no choice. 

• 21. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                                A_omry Level 1

Hi Bill,

What should the max capacity be for either hard drive? I've never owned a computer with an SSD.

For the spinning HHDs I remember the max being something like 70%

• 22. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

This laptop where I have a lot of programs has a 128 GB SSD, there is 44GB of free space.  Harm probably just turn over in his grave as he always said to keep it a slimmed down to the bare minimum.  I do all my editing, email, record-keeping, forum answering, internet ordering etc. on this laptop.  When I get to exporting, disc burning and PPBM experimenting I go to my desktop.  You do have to tune and clean your system.

For the other disk you have to look at your projects and see what they run and how many you might need on-line at any point in time.  So here it is a trade-off of dollars versus your workflow capacity requirements.    My current largest project is about 150

GB so my 500 GB SSD is fine.  Just also be aware that for HD and simple 4K work you can have older projects and files on a USB 3.0 SSD like the Samsung T3 (or the preceding T1 model) and edit smoothly with those devices that are available up to 2TB

• 23. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx
                                                    JFPhoton Level 3

Bill is right...it is better NOT to have the RAID.  I only mentioned it in case you needed more than 500GB of space on your project drive.

The good news is that I read that Samsung should be releasing a 1TB NVMe PCI SSD soon !! Other companies already have 1TB versions,but, are not as good as Samsung.

• 24. Re: Would be happy to opinions on this laptop configuration before purchase. Thx

RAID is great if you want redundancy, but RAID 0 does not have redundancy

I am expecting my Samsung 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4 SSD OEM version (SM961) about the first of October.